4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben

Shortly before the holidays I read about a new app (for me) - Magic Earth. Curious as I am, I sighed at first (not yet an app) - but then downloaded the (free) app anyway. I'm still completely amazed - what the little helper can do.

The "Magic Earth" app has the potential to take over or replace several apps for travel needs from the smartphone, at least for me. These include notable candidates such as Mapout, Maps.Me, Here, MotionX, and Google Maps.

- 2D & 3D map view
- Satellite/terrain/road view
- hybrid view satellite & 3D
- offline capable (download per country)
- Traffic jam bypass (if online)
- Carplay integration
- and much more(!!!)

The app is available free of charge in your app store (Android/iOS).

I wrote a more detailed review here: Magic Earth: Navigation App offline/offroad capable

For holidays in more expensive roaming-fee countries, making the map material available in advance in several apps for offline use - this will no longer apply to me in the future.

Happy testing!

trippin

Reactions: Ubiety

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
Have you looked at the OB1 app?
I did try it last time one year ago. OB1 seems to fit pretty good, for us/canada customers - in europe there it was less helpful: near no trails, wildcamps, mechanics and so on. Less useful map/satellite Source.

Too 3D map is now under developement at OB1 now, stuff what Magic Earth has implementet well, too with hybrid view (3D terrain/satellite). Guess OB1 will need some more time, to get on the level of the competitors, specially for the "rest of the world" market.

In the US it has his own selling point with the trails, ranking, recent updates and so on, stuff who let us looks jealous over the ocean!

trippin

Reactions: Ubiety

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Years ago I had a mapping program that was like that (forgot the name). I could go into 3D mode and explore routes like I was there. All the software did was "grow" the land using the topo rings.

Im going to look this up when I get home tonight.

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
The new Beta-Version includes too the vehicle dimensions & weight for the routing.

Helful for trucks and bigger RVs, that the routing too can consider the max load of the bridges!

Openstreetmaps is wiki based, anyone is able to update the mapssource - so the quality of the mapsource is up 2 us!

trippin

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I just downloaded it this evening. I started to play with it. Seems like it might be fun but will take some time to learn and mess around I think.

Reactions: 4x4tripping