Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Thank you for sharing. It is on the bucket list for this year to make it down there. Anything you would do differently next time or highlights?

millerm217

Rank IV

Explorer I

Hermosa Beach
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
kn6fqf
Anza Borrego is a vast dizzying expanse. Not enough planning was one the biggest mistakes and best unintentional decisions I made.
We only had 3 days so I didn't get to see everything I wanted to see. However, making surprise stops at places like the pumpkin patch and even lunch in Julian, CA with the team were highlights of the adventure.
Also, don't split a bottle of tequila with your best friend over the camp fire. Especially, when your friend isn't as skilled a drinker as yourself.
Finally, don't get disappointed if you don't see everything you set out to see. That missed place becomes the starting point for your next Anza Borrego adventure.

My best advice (depending on how much time you have) is to choose 3-5 places on your Anza Borrego bucket list and try to map a route that gets as much in as possible without having to back track.
The State Park campsites fill up quickly. We stayed the first night in Sheep Canyon. It's a fun drive into the canyon with multiple water crossings and sandy trails, but don't think it was worth paying $20 bucks to camp. I never saw the porta potty supposedly in the camp. I really wanted to see the mud caves, but they are a long way from Borrego Springs with a lot of cool adventures along the way. I will try to hit the mud caves, wind caves and maybe Font's Point on the next trip.

Driving thru the slot canyon trail was fun. Also, there is a narrow slot canyon half way up the trail to the Calcite Mine that was incredible. It's about 1/8th mile long. Worth a quick hike.