Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I did a little reading on their website, I see a lot of stuff about tracking your rig but not about how the device prevents the theft in the first place. Am I missing that written somewhere?

My Tazer can be defeated by a pro criminal sure, but for an opportunistic two-bit who doesn't know the device- it locks all the brakes on the vehicle and starts blasting the lights and horn. If the Ride Dog is just a fancy Apple Airtag you will be out of luck, just because you know where your rig is DOES NOT mean you can get it back. I've read stories of people who followed their Airtag all the way to the port where it was locked in a shipping container bound for overseas, the police didn't have a warrant and legally couldn't open the container to look. Bye bye rig.

Most importantly, what are thefts like in your area? What type of vehicles are getting stolen? Yeah an occasional thief might want your rig, but most career criminals are looking for fast repeatable thefts and those are typically on stock, abundant vehicles that blend in while on the run.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Yeah, I don't think their product offers anything in the sense of "theft prevention." It's more like "theft detection," but that doesn't sound as cool.
In the places where people use offroad vehicles I wonder how reliable the cell tracking is. A thief who knows to look for this type of system would probably strip it off and chuck the thing in the nearest lake and could likely do so before it was ever within cell coverage.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Yeah it's kinda tough, you can pay the $250 for it and the 1-year plan but 99.9% chance no one attempts to steal you car anyway. Is that money wasted? On the .1% chance your rig is stolen, does it get recovered? Does Ride Dog have any guarantees? For instance, I have ADT at home and even though it's likely I'll never be broken into, ADT will pay me if it ever happens.

It's best to just be a "hard target" as best you can, park in safe locations with lighting / in garage, etc. Double park yourself at home so it can't be moved easily. All sorts of methods online to help deter the opportunity.