Anyone using Garmin's Earthmate app on IOS?

• HTML tutorial

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I'm planning a trip for next month, so I've been practicing creating and following nonsense routes around home just to make the use of the app second nature. I've learned to create routes, convert them, import, export, and load them on a variety of apps and devices...but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get the map the screen to follow me when I'm driving a route. I have to continuously manually move the screen to see what's coming up next. When my blue arrow leaves the screen, it keeps on moving. How do I get the screen to track my location at a comfortable zoom level such as this?

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Top right of the map screen the Compass Icon with the triangle. Typically you tap on that and it will center you on the map. I don't have my iPad handy to confirm this though.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Once you center yourself on the map by pressing the compass icon with the triangle, to zoom in, you then hit the zoom in (+) button on the right hand side of the screen.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Hmmm, as long as you've centered yourself, it should track you (at 10 min intervals, unless you force a sync manually).
I'll give mine a go next time I'm out on the road (probably Thursday now).

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
So I know this question is about iOS, but with Android the above process works perfectly as stated.

If I need to zoom in, a pinch and zoom or a "+" gets me there and it follows with me in the center.
All bets are off with iOS, I'm not an apple fan.
Not sure it's optimized with iOS?

Just a data point for you maybe...

Dan.

Reactions: Kevin108

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

So I know this question is about iOS, but with Android the above process works perfectly as stated.

If I need to zoom in, a pinch and zoom or a "+" gets me there and it follows with me in the center.
All bets are off with iOS, I'm not an apple fan.
Not sure it's optimized with iOS?

Just a data point for you maybe...

Dan.
Had it working fine on both Iphone and Ipad. :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Hmmm, as long as you've centered yourself, it should track you (at 10 min intervals, unless you force a sync manually).
I'll give mine a go next time I'm out on the road (probably Thursday now).
I'm not talking about the Tracking/breadcrumb feature, I'm talking about the screen tracking/following your movement (the blue arrow) as you navigate a route, just as it would with Google Maps or Waze.

(Sorry for the super shake cam.)

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Yay, result. Glad it's sorted. :smiley::smiley:
Maybe not noticed on mine, because auto zoom is one of the things I usually turn off on most nav kit or apps because I'll decide when I want to zoom in or out. It annoys the heck out of me when I'm going fast enough for the app or device to decide I need to see a much bigger area!

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Some subtext on the menu to indicate what Auto Zoom actually did would be useful. I was under the impression it would auto zoom to where you were rather than edge to edge of your route. Glad the see the payout on my persistence though. Looking forward to using this navigation soon!