anyone use a cot tent

• HTML tutorial

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

After reading dozens of positive reviews, many by scout leaders, I picked up the Kamp-Rite oversize tent-cot.

kamp-rite-oversize-tent-cot-12376.jpg

http://www.basspro.com/KampRite-Oversized-Tent-Cot-with-Rain-Fly/product/89513/

It is durable and stable. It comes with a rain-fly and a storage case. It is heavy, but I don't have to carry it far. The only downside is limited room for a tall guy to sit up for changing clothes.

It is long and wide, for big and tall campers. There is plenty of room at my feet for a medium duffel.

Good luck, TR

Reactions: justin marsh

giarc1234

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Spanaway, WA
Member #

After reading dozens of positive reviews, many by scout leaders, I picked up the Kamp-Rite oversize tent-cot.

View attachment 23552

http://www.basspro.com/KampRite-Oversized-Tent-Cot-with-Rain-Fly/product/89513/

It is durable and stable. It comes with a rain-fly and a storage case. It is heavy, but I don't have to carry it far. The only downside is limited room for a tall guy to sit up for changing clothes.

It is long and wide, for big and tall campers. There is plenty of room at my feet for a medium duffel.

Good luck, TR
I have a couple of these and have used them once. I got a deal on them I could not pass up. :astonished: Only thing is they take up a big foot print to carry. Other than that it was a pretty good night sleep in it .

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

Only thing is they take up a big foot print to carry.
That is a valid point. In my case I just slide it on the floor, vertically behind the front seats. Add a ratchet strap to make sure it doesn't move. This way I don't lose much storage room.

It also acts as a barrier, allowing me to stuff more gear into the rear seating area without it spilling into the front seat area. So I sort of break even on the storage space.

Cheers, TR

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

I have a TentCot XL. Love it, but it's somewhat bulky

2005 Jeep Wrangler
2005 GMC Sierra
2014 Jeep Wrangler

OB#4392

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

hi all looking for a review or your opinion of a cot tent. just looking for more options when on solo tripsView attachment 23264 View attachment 23265
Justin, I have never seen the cot tent you have posted, so I can't speak from direct knowledge.

I do have some observations. I like the high roof on one side. This would provide room to sit up for changing clothing. With the Tent-Cot I lay down to change my pants.

On the negative, I have personally witnessed several standard cots with aluminum legs, that look like your pic, that bent when sitting on an end, side or corner, while getting in or out of the cot.

The Tent-Cot has steel, loop legs, that are not going to bend with the weight of sleeper or two.

The Tent-Cot Loop legs also provide a more stable base on soft ground. Straight legged cots are more likely to sink or dig into soft ground.

Good luck, TR

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Macho Grande
Member #

I have a TentCot XL. Love it, but it's somewhat bulky
I feel that way sometimes, but a separate tent and cot can be bulky as well. For me it's the weight that I don't like. I tolerate it OK when camping, but storing it my garage rafters between outings is a pain.

That said, the steel frame is far more durable than any aluminum cot that I have used or seen (too many bent legs). The frame on this will easily outlast the tent.

I would like to see Kamp-Rite offer an aluminum frame version. The loop legs would hold up better to stress than any standard straight leg aluminum cot.

Also, the Tent-Cot goes up and down quicker and easier than any tent I own. It's not perfect, but as a one man solution it still gets the job done.

Reactions: southernfire97