Anyone running an Eezi-Awn Hardcase Awning or similar?

• HTML tutorial

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

In the process of finalizing an awning purchase for the rig in the coming weeks in preparation for summer camping season.

I was initially pretty surely going to get an ARB 2000, but recently discovered the Eezi-Awn 1000 series hardcase awnings and was pretty intrigued. They certainly aren't cheap, but nor are they as expensive as I might have imagined. I can't lie, the idea of a black anodized aluminum hardcase on The Adventure Wagon is pretty appealing, in part because it's something a bit different in wagontown where everyone seems to opt for the ARB or Tepui.

So my question is: are any of ya'll running one of these or something of a similar design? If so, how do you like it? Have you found the hard case a benefit? What was the mounting process like? General pros and cons other than price?

Thanks in advance for your feedback dudes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott K

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Berkeley Springs, WV, USA
First Name
SCOTT
Last Name
KEILMAN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1BOP
In the process of finalizing an awning purchase for the rig in the coming weeks in preparation for summer camping season.

I was initially pretty surely going to get an ARB 2000, but recently discovered the Eezi-Awn 1000 series hardcase awnings and was pretty intrigued. They certainly aren't cheap, but nor are they as expensive as I might have imagined. I can't lie, the idea of a black anodized aluminum hardcase on The Adventure Wagon is pretty appealing, in part because it's something a bit different in wagontown where everyone seems to opt for the ARB or Tepui.

So my question is: are any of ya'll running one of these or something of a similar design? If so, how do you like it? Have you found the hard case a benefit? What was the mounting process like? General pros and cons other than price?

Thanks in advance for your feedback dudes!

Good morning, I had one of these but the smaller version. It is an excellent awning and I loved the hard case for protection. It was also light in weight. However now to the negatives;
-It is not a one person awning for deployment. It can be done but is very difficult.
-The retractable material strong and the retention is even stronger. This is an issue, again on one person deployment.
-I am 5'10 and it is difficult to hold onto the retractable awning, and deploy the legs.

Again great product and Paul May (Equipt) has outstanding customer service, however I sold this about 2 days after purchase and bought the Eezi Awn Bat 270..............truly 30 seconds to deploy with one person.

Good luck.

20150806_131125.jpg

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Good morning, I had one of these but the smaller version. It is an excellent awning and I loved the hard case for protection. It was also light in weight. However now to the negatives;
-It is not a one person awning for deployment. It can be done but is very difficult.
-The retractable material strong and the retention is even stronger. This is an issue, again on one person deployment.
-I am 5'10 and it is difficult to hold onto the retractable awning, and deploy the legs.

Again great product and Paul May (Equipt) has outstanding customer service, however I sold this about 2 days after purchase and bought the Eezi Awn Bat 270..............truly 30 seconds to deploy with one person.

Good luck.

View attachment 22612
Thanks so much for the feedback!

Mildly confused though because the 1000 series specifically said it was roll-up, NOT retractable. The retractable 2000 series is over 200 dollars more expensive in the same size and that feature doesn't really matter to me, and as you say could make putting it up less convenient solo.

I've emailed equipt1 regarding mounting options, so perhaps they can shed some light on this as well.

Scott K

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
SCOTT
Last Name
KEILMAN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1BOP

Mildly confused though because the 1000 series specifically said it was roll-up, NOT retractable. The retractable 2000 series is over 200 dollars more expensive in the same size and that feature doesn't really matter to me, and as you say could make putting it up less convenient solo.

I've emailed equipt1 regarding mounting options, so perhaps they can shed some light on this as well.

Unsure on this as well, like I said I had the smaller version, but I checked their site before I responded and this is what I read.......

The Eezi-Awn Series 1000 2M Awning is a compact, retractable awning enclosed in an anodized aluminum case that provides more than 40 sq. ft. of protection from the elements. This awning can be setup and taken down in less than a minute thanks to the spring recoil mechanism. The durable Series 1000 features a water impermeable PVC panel and is ideal for 4WD and van owners seeking the benefits of a simple "bag awning," but who also demand the protection and long-life of an awning contained within a hardcase. Best of all, its made in Eezi-Awn’s Johannesburg South Africa facility, the same facility as their famous Series 3 and XKLUSIV roof top tents. It's guaranteed quality that you can rely on!

http://www.equipt1.com/item/series-1000-2M-awning-silver

Scott K

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
SCOTT
Last Name
KEILMAN
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1BOP

Looks like their new swift might work for you as well, but no hard case......

http://www.equipt1.com/item/swift-awning

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Unsure on this as well, like I said I had the smaller version, but I checked their site before I responded and this is what I read.......

The Eezi-Awn Series 1000 2M Awning is a compact, retractable awning enclosed in an anodized aluminum case that provides more than 40 sq. ft. of protection from the elements. This awning can be setup and taken down in less than a minute thanks to the spring recoil mechanism. The durable Series 1000 features a water impermeable PVC panel and is ideal for 4WD and van owners seeking the benefits of a simple "bag awning," but who also demand the protection and long-life of an awning contained within a hardcase. Best of all, its made in Eezi-Awn’s Johannesburg South Africa facility, the same facility as their famous Series 3 and XKLUSIV roof top tents. It's guaranteed quality that you can rely on!

http://www.equipt1.com/item/series-1000-2M-awning-silver
I noticed this too and assumed it was a misprint copied over from the 2000 description because otherwise the 1000 and 2000 series would essentially be identical ? Strange.

I'll let you know. Hopefully they respond to my question tomorrow.

I'll check out the swift too.

Reactions: Scott K

JMFP!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Medina, OH
First Name
James
Last Name
Parada
Member #

I would love to share a great report with you, but I'm two awnings deep due to damages while shipping. OK4WD and ARB have been solid and I know they will take care of me. But the latch brackets keep breaking in transit. The bases are riveted in so I can't replace them. The awning itself is about 40lbs and the directions recommend three mounting points. I think once on, it will look great and be a solid mount against my roof rack. I just wish it could arrive without issues.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

That sucks! I hope they manage to get that resolved quickly. Always frustrating when you try a new product and things start off on the wrong-foot. Glad everyone involved is at least trying to do the right thing!

As I said above, I think that's probably too much awning for me lengthwise, so I'll hang in and wait to hear back from equipt about the shorter Eezi-Awns and pull the trigger on one of those or the ARB 2000 by week's end. First big trip of the season it the 19th and it's coming up quick!

Reactions: JMFP!

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

So after a helpful back-and-forth with Paul at Equipt I've decided not to go with the Eezi-Awn.

While a black aluminum hardcase awning certainly appeals, it looks like I'd have to buy a set of their proprietary brackets (meant to work with the accompanying rack system) custom drill them out, THEN mount those to the Fourtreks mounted to the Yak-basket. All of that for about 2x the price of the slightly larger ARB 2000 seems foolhardy.

If I had more time I could certainly figure out an acceptable custom mounting solution, but for that kind of dough I want something purpose-built that's as close to plug-and-play as possible. Double brackets doesn't sit well as it's unnecessary and potentially introduces extra weak/flex points.

Oh well. Perhaps on a future rack or rig. For now I'm sure The Adventure Wagon[emoji769] will be more-than-content with a nice dedicated ARB/Fourtreks setup.

Reactions: Steve

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Hard case or soft..... hmmmm..

I wonder if a soft case would be better in the long run due to the fact that if (when, in my case) it takes a hit from a branch it bends and bounces back, rather than breaking or bending and staying bent.....

Thoughts?

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hard case or soft..... hmmmm..

I wonder if a soft case would be better in the long run due to the fact that if (when, in my case) it takes a hit from a branch it bends and bounces back, rather than breaking or bending and staying bent.....

Thoughts?
Depends, I think.

Soft case seems more likely to potentially snag on low-hanging branches and brush where the aluminum hard case might slide by, though the later will take some scrapes in the process, but that's life.

As far as a direct hit from a medium-to-large branch goes, it's hard to say. While the aluminum case would take some dings, it might better protect the awning components inside from structural damage. The soft case might not shield the poles within from a harder hit.

But this is all of course speculation on my part as I've never owned either! [emoji23]