Anyone mounted a roam case to a roof rack/ crossbars?

• HTML tutorial

Salvador_5a0cae

Rank II

Contributor II

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Salvador
Last Name
Andrade
Member #

Hi, I have a ROAM 83L on its way and I’m looking to mount it to my LFD crossbars, has anyone drilled into these cases to mount them? If so what worked best for you? What hardware did you use? I am aware that ROAM sells mounting hardware but is an additional $200 so that’s a no go.
Thank you.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I built my rack out of Superstruts and mounted a case I got from Harbor Freight similar to the ROAM cases. I drilled 4 holes in the bottom the case and ran bolt thru it anchoring it to the super struts. I used rubber washers to make sure it was water tight.

Reactions: KAIONE and grubworm

Salvador_5a0cae

Rank II

Contributor II

Savannah, GA, USA
First Name
Salvador
Last Name
Andrade
Member #

I believe this is the route I’m going to end up going, didn’t want to drill it but their mounts are an additional $200.
I built my rack out of Superstruts and mounted a case I got from Harbor Freight similar to the ROAM cases. I drilled 4 holes in the bottom the case and ran bolt thru it anchoring it to the super struts. I used rubber washers to make sure it was water tight.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I believe this is the route I’m going to end up going, didn’t want to drill it but their mounts are an additional $200.
I figured holes in the bottom with rubber washers should keep water out pretty good since water doesn't generally work its way upwards!

Reactions: KAIONE

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I have a roof rack and drilled mine, used bolts etc. No silicone and rubber washers just plain washers and wing nuts on the inside and haven’t had a single drop of water get in. I take them on/off a lot. I live in the PNW and really don’t see how water would be getting in the bottom holes unless it was able to pool up somehow.

TK-421

Rank III

Enthusiast II

East Aurora, NY, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Wenner
Member #

Hi, I have a ROAM 83L on its way and I’m looking to mount it to my LFD crossbars, has anyone drilled into these cases to mount them? If so what worked best for you? What hardware did you use? I am aware that ROAM sells mounting hardware but is an additional $200 so that’s a no go.
Thank you.
I have a roof rack and drilled mine, used bolts etc. No silicone and rubber washers just plain washers and wing nuts on the inside and haven’t had a single drop of water get in. I take them on/off a lot. I live in the PNW and really don’t see how water would be getting in the bottom holes unless it was able to pool up somehow.
Mount on lfd is easy, use the hardware they give you that has a bolt with hex, and the nut that is a rectangle shape. Measure and drill holes in case, put bolt in down through drilled holes, then from undeneath the case, a rubber washer, then the rectangle nut..dont tighten. Then position the nuts to fall into slots of the crossbars. From underneath, turn rectangled nuts perpendicular to the slot...tighten with hex from above...done. hope that makes senses.... make sure to use a big washer and the lock washers lfd provides as well...

Last edited: