Anyone have a portable, cordless vacuum you'd recommend?

• HTML tutorial

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Looking for something that could perhaps sit in a charger for my wife's Subaru and be a quick, cordless way of vacuuming out the car. Would be nice if it could tuck away and charge on 12v car power.
Anyone have something you'd recommend?
Thanks!

D

Dave in AZ

There are tons of handheld battery car vacuums. Usually folks pick whichever battery universe their other tools are. For instance I have a deWalt 20v impact wrench and also a tire inflator. So if I wanted a vacuum, I would buy the dewalt. You would then carry a charger and run AC in your setup for it.

Or, search 12v portable car vacuum on amazon, get a 12v one, you could wire it to your system.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Black & Decker does indeed have one, and tons exist. I can't really recommend one as my only experience with battery vacuums is a little tabletop one for my kitchen. From basic reviews I see, they have pretty bad battery life and need to be charged after each use. Not totally sure how something like that lasts plugged in 24/7.

Now, for my totally unsolicited opinion (you knew this was coming) I think a vacuum in the car is one of those creature comforts that when reality hits, you realize it takes up too much room and doesn't get used nearly enough. Shake your floor mats out once in a while, dust off your console, and save the vacuuming for when you get back home.

D

Dave in AZ

@Ethan N , I think this is probably more for long term overlander living in a campershell, type of thing. I have seen many posts from full timeers on how hard it is to keep dust and dirt out, and clean it up. In small space, folks end up sitting on floor, shoes on benches and seats, etc. I can see a small vac being super useful to keep the place orderly.

If I was spending 2 or 3 nights out, no problem, but my wife vacuums some part of the house every single day, there would be no week long trips for her without some easy way to clean up. And as a dude who constantly has to sweep rocks and dirt and wood chips from his pickup bed, sweeping just doesnt cut it. ;)

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
@Ethan N , I think this is probably more for long term overlander living in a campershell, type of thing. I have seen many posts from full timeers on how hard it is to keep dust and dirt out, and clean it up. In small space, folks end up sitting on floor, shoes on benches and seats, etc. I can see a small vac being super useful to keep the place orderly.

If I was spending 2 or 3 nights out, no problem, but my wife vacuums some part of the house every single day, there would be no week long trips for her without some easy way to clean up. And as a dude who constantly has to sweep rocks and dirt and wood chips from his pickup bed, sweeping just doesnt cut it. ;)
Oh yeah of course I don't know Matt's end goal here I'm mostly just guessing.

I've spent a few weeks at a time in the truck and tent camping, I absolutely despise dust inside the cab. If there's dust getting kicked up my windows are closed, I keep a blanket over my rear bench, etc. My floor gets it the worst with multiple people and boots. I have a cap and it gets pretty bad in there after a while, no sweeping though I just hit it with the leaf blower.

Reactions: Dave in AZ

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
got this one for our camp trailer. works well and i got the corded since everything has the 12v sockets and its more powerful than battery, but it also comes in cordless version..good performer

Last edited:

13XSPX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brunswick, GA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

We use a Ryobi vac. It is amazing. I also have a Ryobi air compressor, bug zapper and camp lights.
With_ARB_2.jpg