Anyone has info on Camp 5 Road (Blackhills)

• HTML tutorial

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
We're heading out to Blackhills in 2 weeks and the plan is to navigate from Camp 5 area down to Custer. We're a JKUR (typical overland load) and a stock LC200, it's family overlanding trip so no testosterone crawling here.

I'd like to know if we are going to be fine on Camp 5 rd. The LC won't be good at bashing bumpers and rockers so i dont want to lure him to an expensive mistake.. really we just want to do some nice trail runs and a few rocks to keep the kids entertained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

The Camp 5 area is primarily a rock crawling section. Here is the list of trails and their ratings for that area.
http://www.bh4wheelers.com/4x4board/download/file.php?id=236
Most of the trails in the Camp 5 area are rated moderate or higher. These listing reference the forest service maps.
Here is the link to the Forest service maps of the area. Look at the Mystic map for that section.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/blackhills/maps-pubs/?cid=FSEPRD533421
Also, most of the trails here require a permit, which you can obtain at a forest service office. The permit trails are marked on the maps. If you have any other questions let me know! I live in Rapid City if you need any other suggestions or assistance!

Last edited:

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Awesome, this is what i am looking for. I do have all the public maps and have some trail route ideas laid out based on the MVUMs. We can always turn around but it would be nice to know ahead of time if we can pass thru the trails so we don't break our schedule, the kids need to see Mt Rushmore or else.

Yup I got my permit ordered online already. Looking forward to seeing that side of Black Hills and traversing the the hills via the trails.

Reactions: Daniel Etter

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Trip completed. I really think Badlands and Blackhills are a bit underrated. Sorry Daniel i hope i didnt mess up your schedule. We were running late and running tired so we had to camp out at Indian Creek. Here are some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Great pics! Glad you enjoyed your trip! Trips and schedules are bound to change when overlanding! As long as you guys had fun and enjoyed it, that's all that counts! We will try to meet up next time!

Reactions: Kris Monroe