Enthusiast I

Forest Falls, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Creighton
Member #

Hey OB crew,

Anyone have a late model F150 that they have built or are building? I have a 2022 F150 Tremor on order and I’m looking for inspiration for a full size build!

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Close enough! Whatcha got? How did you build it out?
I wasn’t planning on overlanding with it but since it was what I had, I made it work. Put a 6” lift to accommodate 37” Nittos. Still rubs. Found a basket on Craigslist. Then I found a used roof rack system on Craig’s as well. Installed that. The whole reason for that was to have a place to mount my solar shower. Next came the cap, also found on Craig’s. Then the Decked system. After that was the RIG’d mega swing bc I found myself in the field with a flat and no spare. Luckily I was able to plug it. Everything I have is used or built by me, except for the RIG’d mega swing and Decked storage system. Bought those new. I want to put a rack on my cap but it’s not made for it. Had to add bags in the rear, as you see in one of the photos, had a bad squat going. I’m probably missing something but I’m sure you’re getting the picture.

Attachments

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I've got a 2016. 3.5L EB Supercrew. Bilstein 6112 up front, SPC upper control arms, Bilstein 5160 in the rear gives me 2" lift. Nitto Ridge Grappleres 35x12.5x17. Front rear offroad bumpers, Softopper, Extrusion Overland bed rack, DECKED system, ICECO fridge in bed, 100AH Renogy AGM aux battery with 200w of solar panels on roof connected to Redarc 1225 BCDC controller, full RCI skidplates, Mag-Hytec rear diff cover, Wilco tire swing with full 35" spare, ICOM 5100a ham radio, Pioneer NEX1400 stereo with JBL speakers, amp and woofer box under back seat. I think thats the big stuff.

Motley_Screw

Rank IV

Traveler III

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Bajema
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6VPJ
Hey OB crew,

Anyone have a late model F150 that they have built or are building? I have a 2022 F150 Tremor on order and I’m looking for inspiration for a full size build!
I wish the Tremor was available when I bought my truck, it ticks all the boxes for me. I have a 2019 super crew short bed with the FX4 package, 5.0 motor, 7,000# GVW & 36 gal fuel tank. I've added 33"s, RCI skid plates, a Smittybilt X20 hidden winch, a dual battery system with a 100 ah LiFePO battery and DC to DC charger. I added a Century fiberglass cap and built a drawer system with a slide out kitchen. I ordered the cap with rails for a Thule rack and have a 270 awning and fold out potty room up there along with a place to mount my traction boards and a shovel. This was an evolution over a couple of years to meet my needs. The drawer system has an extension so I can sleep north to south, I have a DAC tent that goes over the back, but normally I just keep the tailgate open. If it's really cold I close it up and sleep diagonally. One requirement I had was to easily be able to set up a place to sleep. All my gear stows in the back seat, in the drawers or on the roof rack so I can have my bedding set up in back and ready to go. It took a few trips to get it to this point and I'm sure I'll be adding and changing as time goes on but at the moment it's very functional. Good luck with your build!

Attachments

Reactions: WTSMatt

JBear223

Rank II

Enthusiast III

California
First Name
John
Last Name
Behrens
I have a 2019 3.5Eco FX4. Added RCI skid plates. King coilovers external reservoir w/adjustable. Icon DeltaJoint UCA. Method wheels w/ 285/75-17 (34")
A Piller Sideshooter and behind the grille lights. Flush mount reverse floods mounted to SwitchPro. Built Right Molle Panels in bed and an RSI SmartCap.
Looking at a 270 awning, havent got that yet.
Have a National Luna 72qt fridge. Will be building a box with the fridge slide in the bed with battery/MPPT. Installing a Frontrunner SLimLine rack on the Smartcap.
Solar panel will be on the rack, unfortunately 100w is as big as i can get, but its beter than nothing.
I also just recently learned of CTEK brand which would allow me to charge the secondary battery while driving which I didnt think we could have on these trucks due to the BMS.
I think I'll be adding that CTEK system, and will mount the ARB twin compressor in the bed instead of my portable Vair system.

I was going to have a stand alone solar system run by the single panel, but hearing of that CTEK setup, Im rethinking my whole electronic setup as Ill be able to do what Ive always wanted to do.

Reactions: Motley_Screw

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I have a 2019 3.5Eco FX4. Added RCI skid plates. King coilovers external reservoir w/adjustable. Icon DeltaJoint UCA. Method wheels w/ 285/75-17 (34")
A Piller Sideshooter and behind the grille lights. Flush mount reverse floods mounted to SwitchPro. Built Right Molle Panels in bed and an RSI SmartCap.
Looking at a 270 awning, havent got that yet.
Have a National Luna 72qt fridge. Will be building a box with the fridge slide in the bed with battery/MPPT. Installing a Frontrunner SLimLine rack on the Smartcap.
Solar panel will be on the rack, unfortunately 100w is as big as i can get, but its beter than nothing.
I also just recently learned of CTEK brand which would allow me to charge the secondary battery while driving which I didnt think we could have on these trucks due to the BMS.
I think I'll be adding that CTEK system, and will mount the ARB twin compressor in the bed instead of my portable Vair system.

I was going to have a stand alone solar system run by the single panel, but hearing of that CTEK setup, Im rethinking my whole electronic setup as Ill be able to do what Ive always wanted to do.
Sounds like a great rig! Just FYI my Redarc 1225 controller charges my aux battery while driving and uses solar when I'm parked. No issues for over a year and no codes thrown.

Reactions: Viking1204

Vikingman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Lake Elsinore, California, United States
First Name
Joran
Last Name
Ohnstad
Member #

Sounds like a great rig! Just FYI my Redarc 1225 controller charges my aux battery while driving and uses solar when I'm parked. No issues for over a year and no codes thrown.
Where did you mount your 2nd battery? I’ve been trying to figure out a good place to mount mine as I’m working on moving all lights, dualARB, and Snomaster to run off the aux

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
i have a Softopper so I mounted it in forward passenger side of bed. My controller is mounted there as well.

Big Blue

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRJK336; HAM:
I have a 2019 F150 STX 2.7L. I’ve had this setup for about 2 years.

Mods include:
35” Raptor Takeoffs
Fox 2.0 shocks
RCI skids
Diode Dynamics Lighting (figs, ditch, and lower grill)
Auxbeam switch relay
KB Voodoo 16” Bedrack
Gazelle T8 tent (for family of 5)

Attachments

Vikingman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

First Name
Joran
Last Name
Ohnstad
Member #

Hey OB crew,

I wish the Tremor was available when I bought my truck, it ticks all the boxes for me. I have a 2019 super crew short bed with the FX4 package, 5.0 motor, 7,000# GVW & 36 gal fuel tank. I've added 33"s, RCI skid plates, a Smittybilt X20 hidden winch, a dual battery system with a 100 ah LiFePO battery and DC to DC charger. I added a Century fiberglass cap and built a drawer system with a slide out kitchen. I ordered the cap with rails for a Thule rack and have a 270 awning and fold out potty room up there along with a place to mount my traction boards and a shovel. This was an evolution over a couple of years to meet my needs. The drawer system has an extension so I can sleep north to south, I have a DAC tent that goes over the back, but normally I just keep the tailgate open. If it's really cold I close it up and sleep diagonally. One requirement I had was to easily be able to set up a place to sleep. All my gear stows in the back seat, in the drawers or on the roof rack so I can have my bedding set up in back and ready to go. It took a few trips to get it to this point and I'm sure I'll be adding and changing as time goes on but at the moment it's very functional. Good luck with your build!
Which LiFePo4 did you go with? I’ve been seeing a lot of the clones coming out with damn near identical internals to the big name brands.

Motley_Screw

Rank IV

Traveler III

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Bajema
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6VPJ
Which LiFePo4 did you go with? I’ve been seeing a lot of the clones coming out with damn near identical internals to the big name brands.
I went with a SOK. It had a good results in YouTuber Will Prowse's tear down and testing, It was also significant savings over a Battle Born. I've had it about a year an a half and so far happy with it. It doesn't have heaters but it does have a low temp shutdown for charging.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Question for the F150ers. I have a 2016 with Bilstein 6112 set to 2.5" up front and 5160 in the rear with a 3" block. My butt is 1" lower than front. I'm debating between a 4" block or these...
to bring the rear up one more inch. Anyone with experience or thoughts on this?
Thanks!

Vikingman

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

First Name
Joran
Last Name
Ohnstad
Member #

I went with a SOK. It had a good results in YouTuber Will Prowse's tear down and testing, It was also significant savings over a Battle Born. I've had it about a year an a half and so far happy with it. It doesn't have heaters but it does have a low temp shutdown for charging.
I’ve been looking at those vs the chins. I like his tear downs on build quality and it’s amazing how the clones have progressed. I was looking at the kickass agm slimline batteries to hide behind my backseats but lithium beats it out hands down. Now to just source out a red arc manager 30

Boon

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Olalla, WA, USA
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Boone
Member #

I've got a 2016. 3.5L EB Supercrew. Bilstein 6112 up front, SPC upper control arms, Bilstein 5160 in the rear gives me 2" lift. Nitto Ridge Grappleres 35x12.5x17. Front rear offroad bumpers, Softopper, Extrusion Overland bed rack, DECKED system, ICECO fridge in bed, 100AH Renogy AGM aux battery with 200w of solar panels on roof connected to Redarc 1225 BCDC
controller, full RCI skidplates, Mag-Hytec rear diff cover, Wilco tire swing with full 35" spare, ICOM 5100a ham radio, Pioneer NEX1400 stereo with JBL speakers, amp and woofer box under back seat. I think thats the big stuff.
This is awesome. I am brand new to the Overland Scene and I have 2016 3.5 EB that I will be working with. Is there anything you would do different if you started all over again?
This is my daily, and I can’t decide on 33’s or 35’s to begin with. Anyway, I would love to see yours all done if you are willing to post pictures.

Reactions: Hiwyangel

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have a 2011 F-150 FX4 Supercrew, I too wish the Tremor was available when I bought mine! I used Bilstein shocks and a spacer to lift the front about 2" and added a leaf in the rear to bring it up about 2.5" with 33" tires. I built my own rack for my RTT using Superstrut material and 1/2" stainless hardware to save money over buying a commercial rack. I picked up a 138ah Lithium battery off Ebay to power my 65L Icebox Dual Zone fridge from Ironman 4x4. I have a Redarc DC-DC charger and 100W solar panel on the roof of my truck to keep the battery charged. I built my own bed slide to slide my fridge in and out of the bed from under the Diamondback cover.

RTT Open.jpgRTT Tent Rack 1.jpg

Motley_Screw

Rank IV

Traveler III

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Bajema
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6VPJ
I have a 2019 F150 STX 2.7L. I’ve had this setup for about 2 years.

Mods include:
35” Raptor Takeoffs
Fox 2.0 shocks
RCI skids
Diode Dynamics Lighting (figs, ditch, and lower grill)
Auxbeam switch relay
KB Voodoo 16” Bedrack
Gazelle T8 tent (for family of 5)
I've heard good things about the Raptor Takeoffs on an F150 and want to go that route, I've heard with a 2.5" level there is no trimming or cutting of crash bars needed, and no rubbing. Has that been your experience?