Anyone familiar with Rim Rocker north alternative?

• HTML tutorial

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

So I was viewing satellite views of the Rim Rocker trail and saw something interesting. Found a video for it and it looks less traveled with cooler topography and puts us further north of Moab instead of pavement coming north on 191 into Moab. Essentially take Rim Rocker from Montrose to Nucla, but head north on 141 into Gateway. Then a road I have seen video of but don't know the name of. Jim Brown Rec area or something that eventually takes you to Dinosaur Tracks Site and Bull Canyon Overlook and then into Castle Valley, NE of Moab and SE of Arches. Great view of the backside of Castle Rock. We reserved a Glamping yurt at Camp Wander Lost in the Castle Valley area after 5 days on the trail. Anyone familiar with this northern, westbound route alternative to the western side of Rim Rocker and all of the pavement?

Video below after the 24 minute mark show the change in topography on the Utah side of the pass.

Montrose Gatrway Castle Canyon.png

Last edited:

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
after you run the new northern part tell us how it was. We did the Rimrocker last yr and the Utah section isn't much to write home about. coming in the back side looks pretty COO

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Thats what I was thinking too. It parallels the Dolores Creek and on the Utah side the Colorado. Camping is supposed to be plentiful. I'll take some video and pics and write it up. I like that it comes in between Castle and Arches.

BPCLFD

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

Sellersburg, IN, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
the south route is pretty BLAH so wouldn't think it would be any worse. Im with you I would think coming in on the backside of Arches has to be nice Enjoy

Reactions: USStrongman