Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Just curious if anyone has any experience with the Overland Pros Panamint 2000 tent. I like it's ease of setup compared to the Kodiak canvas tent I had a while back. But I'm a bit concerned about dropping $450 on a tent with no reviews. My research has only found a very poor video of these guys setting up the tent in what looks like their house (with very bad lighting).

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I'm sure it comes from the same factory as the CVT & Tepui versions.
I can’t seem to find any mention of ground tents on the CVT or Tepui websites. I’ve seen the Tepui ground tent on YouTube though. This makes me think that manufactures are not offering these tents for a reason, I’m just wondering what that reason is. As a consumer, this is raising a red flag.

hidesertwheelin

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

High Desert, So Cal
Member #

I can’t seem to find any mention of ground tents on the CVT or Tepui websites. I’ve seen the Tepui ground tent on YouTube though. This makes me think that manufactures are not offering these tents for a reason, I’m just wondering what that reason is. As a consumer, this is raising a red flag.
From what I have read, they were not big sellers. I have the Tepui version. The tent works fine, but transporting it is another story. Folded up, the bag is at least 8' long. On the plus side, it goes up really fast, which is why I have it.

Reactions: dziner

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I"m looking at the jet tent however, I"m struggling to find reviews on it as well. I like that the jet tent is made out of stronger material however the rainfly on the overland pros looks better. Any idea on how these would fair in cold weather?
Interesting. The details on this product mentions “awning”, but I don’t see one pictured.

• Setup Size: 102.3" (w) x 82.7" (d) x 74.8" (h) + 78.7" (Awning)
I would think these tents would be fine in cold weather since they can be completely zipped up.

I’m also looking at the North Face Wawona 4 tent. Different setup, but I can stand up in it, reputable company and doesn’t break the bank.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/the-north-face-wawona-4-tent_10332221

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Curious dziner if you ever picked up one of these Panamint tents? The price has actually come down a fair bit (now $325) since your original post...
I haven't. I went with a Gazelle T3 tent for my travel camping. And a White Duck Outdoors 16'5" Regatta bell tent for cold weather camping on my property.

Reactions: sbsyncro

sbsyncro

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Santa Barbara, CA USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
C
Thanks. I'm also looking at that Gazelle tent, but I'm leery about that tiny little top-hat rainfly. I've seen a lot of cheap tents with little rain flys like that just get destroyed in foul weather... You like the Gazelle?

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Thanks. I'm also looking at that Gazelle tent, but I'm leery about that tiny little top-hat rainfly. I've seen a lot of cheap tents with little rain flys like that just get destroyed in foul weather... You like the Gazelle?
On the positive side, you can tie and stake out the Gazelle if needed. They run 20% - 30% off deals which make it very affordable. The T3 is a great size for me and my pup that allows me to stand up easily inside and room for a twin-size air mattress and gear. And it easily stows into my Yakima roof box. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a vestibule and the awkward shaped doors. But there's a lot of pros that offset that.

sbsyncro

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Santa Barbara, CA USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
C
I suppose it could be set up to open under an awning to mitigate the lack of vestibule.... And for $200 on Amazon its hard to get too worried about it not being "perfect". $800 for an Oztent, however... different expectations!

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I suppose it could be set up to open under an awning to mitigate the lack of vestibule.... And for $200 on Amazon its hard to get too worried about it not being "perfect". $800 for an Oztent, however... different expectations!
I also bought their G5 gazebo. It's easy to set up by myself and provides protection from the elements as well as bug netting. I also purchased a few of the walls that attach with Velcro to help keep our wind or rain if needed. This lets me set up the gazebo wherever I want to, and it also packs down pretty well. Having nothing attached to my vehicle was my goal.