• HTML tutorial

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

Nice!
When im on a long roadtrip i like to keep some cash in my pocket so if i ever get mugged and need to hand over my wallet i still have some money. I also keep some hidden in the truck. Which reminds me. I need to replenish that!
Maybe I'm just paranoid... I have a wallet in each back pocket. One is legit, the other one just has a bunch of random old cards and a few $1 bills. Mugger gets the decoy, and by the time they figure it out I'm either long gone or have bought myself the time and opportunity to draw my weapon.

Also have a ConsoleVault in my truck, where I keep cash, spare IDs, and a few other items.

Reactions: RaggedViking

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

Maybe I'm just paranoid... I have a wallet in each back pocket. One is legit, the other one just has a bunch of random old cards and a few $1 bills. Mugger gets the decoy, and by the time they figure it out I'm either long gone or have bought myself the time and opportunity to draw my weapon.

Also have a ConsoleVault in my truck, where I keep cash, spare IDs, and a few other items.
I keep a vault in my truck as well. Originally it was just to keep the pistola properly stored when driving through some of the more strict states, but I've added cash and ID cards to it since.
It's a great thing to have in a rig.

Reactions: ColoradoPacific

ColoradoPacific

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fort Collins, CO
Member #

I keep a vault in my truck as well. Originally it was just to keep the pistola properly stored when driving through some of the more strict states, but I've added cash and ID cards to it since.
It's a great thing to have in a rig.
Agreed! Love having a secure box in the truck. A friend of mine has one as well. His truck got broken into, and they definitely TRIED to get into the TruckVault but failed.

Reactions: RaggedViking

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Seems there is a lot of crossover in the Overland/Prepper communities. I found myself learning about the overland community from being a bit of a prepper and it has grown into a nice little hobby that does have a lot of points that intersect. Overlanders, I think, tend to be rather self-sufficient and accept challenges - both of which are traits that preppers admire. There is also a lot of crossover in gear and training. Since this is the case, I thought I would pass on a couple of links that might be helpful to this thread. Tacoma World has a, sometimes, active thread and it runs from "Stranded In The Woods" to "Holy Shit, Zombies."

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/any-fellow-survivalists-utilize-their-truck.185417/

There are also a couple of others I will pass along (and also a thread in this forum on "Survival Guns" that I think has some good information in it):

A few that you might enjoy - warning - take what you want and leave the rest, preppers/survivalists/zombie hunters can be helpful or a little, how shall I say, on the "tinfoil hat" side of things but there is much good information....

http://www.survivalistboards.com/

A thread specific to vehicles on that board...

http://www.survivalistboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42

For the HAM users amongst us this might be helpful....

https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/06/29/shtf-survivalist-radio-frequency-list/

That might get you started and I found that this was a very HOT topic when the National Geographic "Doomsday Preppers" was on. Since it went away, it seems a lot of the hype around prepping did too, which is fine IMHO. As for pics/lists, when I have time I would love to share, and learn others ideas, about their rigs. I have a few on my flickr page and have posted a few here as well. I find this to be an AWESOME forum with a lot of respect and somewhere I return to often.

Wish everyone peace and safety and HAPPY WHEELING!!!

Reactions: VCeXpedition

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Just got the app. Love it. Plan on getting my member number and emblems soon (maybe grill badges? (I'll bring that idea up later))

Anyways I drive an 07 FJC. 125,XXXmi on it. Still going strong. Only had it for a little over a year. It's my daily driver. Im currently stationed at Minot AFB, ND but I'm originally from El Dorado County in NorCal. I love to camp in the sierras and have only recently been introduced to the idea of overlanding. I'm excited to get home in May and start exploring. There's not much camping to do up here in ND but the harsh winters make driving to and from work an adventure in itself. I'll post pictures of my rig soon. I actually just painted the rims so it's gotta be documented.

I've also recently been getting into prepping, firearms, and I've become somewhat of a "tac junkie." I think all these hobbies, to include overlanding, compliment each other. Currently on my rig I carry an axe and shovel, some MREs, water, candle, flashlights and a CB Radio. Next additions will be spare fuel storage and a fire extinguisher.

What else do y'all carry? What don't you leave the house without?

I'm eager to learn and super stoked about finding this overland community. Thanks all.
Welcome @Nerwinski, and thank you for your service! I think you'll find quite a few of us have the "Prepper Mindset". Here's a thread you might enjoy...
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/any-preppers-threepers.2900/

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Currently on my rig I carry an axe and shovel, some MREs, water, candle, flashlights and a CB Radio. Next additions will be spare fuel storage and a fire extinguisher.

What else do y'all carry? What don't you leave the house without?

I'm eager to learn and super stoked about finding this overland community. Thanks all.
You've got the basics covered there. I might add a wool blanket, toilet paper, first-aid kit, road flares, rope, firestarter, tarp, knife, gloves, tools, contractor trash bags, folding saw, and cash. My "car kit" is in a black 5 gallon bucket (great for melting snow & hauling water), with a Luggable Loo lid. Be sure to have some kind of container, backpack or duffle, so you can take the critical stuff with you if you're forced to hoof it.

Here's a pretty good thread on firearms...
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/legal-weapons-and-overlanding.448/

Last edited:

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
My wife has those all over. I swear every time she goes to Home Depot or Lowes she buys a bucket. I made the mistake of asking her why. She said..........

"You just never know when you're going to need a bucket."

:yum:
If she would like to start a "Buckets Anonymous" group, I could really use the support ;-)...

photo.JPG
NOTE: Sorry for the double post of this photo. It appears two threads got merged.

Last edited:

Bergi85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orem, UT
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Bergesen
Member #

I used to follow The Maine Prepper on YouTube.... and I have always liked the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared." That being said, I am far from being prepared. But I am slowly trying to (as the wife allows) gather the things I feel I need for our situation.

Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
I used to follow The Maine Prepper on YouTube.... and I have always liked the Boy Scout motto "Be Prepared." That being said, I am far from being prepared. But I am slowly trying to (as the wife allows) gather the things I feel I need for our situation.
Food, water, shelter, security, sanitation, hygiene, and healthcare. Humans can survive a lot. It just depends how comfortable you want to be :-) For me, prepping has become a hobby...
photo.JPG
NOTE: Sorry for the double post of this photo. It appears two threads got merged.

Last edited:

Bergi85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orem, UT
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Bergesen
Member #

Food, water, shelter, security, sanitation, hygiene, and healthcare. Humans can survive a lot. It just depends how comfortable you want to be :-) For me, prepping has become a hobby...
View attachment 9700
WOW!!! I'd say it is a hobby.... that is great! I think we have a bucket of rice somewhere in the house. I need to get to work! haha

Reactions: Kelly

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Bergi, your from Happy valley Utah and you only have a bucket of rice? I didn't think that was even possible? Oddly, I was going to post something like this up at thenewX but was worried I would look like a tin foil hat wearing fruitcake, so I never did. But Im a prepper. Currently worried about a lot of things that I will continue on later. I would dare to say we could go a full year without resupply at my place, but some of the meals would be boring. But we would get nutritious meals. Ive been doing it for years and every other year I expand a little. Even when I was a single bachelor in an apartment I was prepping, but the thing about shared community places is fire. Someone down the hall gets one going your screwed. There are always pros and cons to everything but at the time it was all I could afford. Now 15 years later, family, a house, and a dog. My preps are larger. I have a VERY large "short term" food room. I call it my down stairs pantry. To augment this we have a 15cuft chest deep freezer, the kitchen fridge, the cupboards and the pantry closet. If it gets bad I have to dig a bit but can access the long term food stuff. 6 gallon buckets holding mylar and desiccated grains, beans, legumes, sugar, honey, salt, etc. Then several dozen cases of #10 freeze dried stuff. Some meals, but most ingredients: sausage crumbles, chunk chicken, beef chunks, pork chops, steaks (remember the Mountain House uncooked freeze dried steaks/ chops), veggies/ fruit, milk, eggs, standard kitchen mixes. Then oddities by the case, red feather butter, yoders bacon, cheese, etc. Some things like the eggs/ mixes/ milk need to be rotated more than the freeze dried stuff. But its like your car, food stuffs needs maintenance as well.

With food, you need stuff to prepare. Cooking, prepping, water, serving, and getting rid of (human waste and food waste). Composting/ humanure/ outhouse maintenance and design is an odd book collection that many have laughed out in my library but knowing this stuff will be key post zombie apocalypse. I keep a few dozen "home depot buckets and lids" for a variety of things including toilets. Speaking of which, there is always over 300 rolls of toilet paper at my place.

I have bought over 300lbs of charcoal at a time during Memorial weekend when Walmart sells the dual 20lb kingfords bag for dirt cheap. Then a few standard 30lb propane tanks all stored in the shed out back. BBQs (gas and charcoal), dutch ovens, volcano, camp chefs/ coleman stoves/ partner stove, solar ovens, and even a pair of wonder bags is in my cooking collection (amazon wonderbag for a awesome fuel saving cooking bag if you have a heavy, lided, non vented pot, IE dutch oven, if you don't have one, Im sure you will soon).

Then water.. this is the one I hate due to the work it takes. Yearly I need to rotate drums/ jugs of water. I do have a few Berkley filter setups, several sawyer filter setups, them a few katadyn pump filters. But the drums/ USGI cans/ cases of water first line supplies. Im sitting just shy of 1,000 gallons.... Need to be creative for the weight distribution and storage for this type of a load. Luckily Utah is a prepping state and there are several vendors who sell 55 gallon drums for cheap locally the large drums are nice but get spendy fast. have 2 160 gallon drums, each cost twice what three 55 gallons drum do, but the floor space is just 20% greater than a single 55 gallon drum but you get 3 times the water capacity, And you can stack them in an average room height, Due to this, they have nice spouts to drain and convenient fill spouts as well. You see one price on many of the sites, but if you walk in your price is typically less than half. But it all takes space and lots of it. having one room and a few closet areas/ cubbies, along with a shed and the walls of a garage to hold the water/ food stuff. Then a shed and garage for the flammables which is always a concern.

The main key, don't buy it all at once. Take some time and find what works for you. The photo above is impressive but after reading inventory of the kit, I would be worried of spoilage/ FIFO/ rotation then dead space (in and around the bucket). Storing cans in a bucket would be convenient to move it, but I would be worried of space waste and not like rodents (also a concern for many with food storage) will get thru a can. The box pasta is nice in the bucket but again rotation/ dead space/ etc roll into it. Just stick 4 round buckets in a square and there is a bucket of space wasted between them (about 20% wasted space for a round bucket). Square buckets combat this nicely but cost more and do not have a Gamma lid option. But empty and stacked they are efficiently stored... As for Gamma lids. These are needed when you want to get in and out of them often. I keep several "orange" colored Gamma lids around so when I open a bucket I put on a orange lid. The "O" in orange stands for "OPEN" to me. Thus I know which ones Im already in (FIFO- first in first out). Ill have to take some photos of the can rotators I use. I hate most on the market since they are standard and have 2-3 shelves for standard 14 oz cans, 1 for 30 oz cans, and 1 for #10 cans. Not many rotate #10 cans so its a waste of space.

Again, being local to many vendors I went to one with a goal and said... what can you do. I got 2 72" high 24" deep, 48" wide racks custom setup for me and a good friend. The top 5 rows are for the 14 oz cans. The bottom row is for the 30oz can. The width can vary and best part, Even in this unique layout which was more efficient and perfect for us, we got the pair of systems for $556 (278 a piece!). I remember the number since its one of the common ammo calibers I store. It makes inventory easy, rotates via the FIFO philosophy, fits my needs, and was convenient IE don't waste time keeping track of dates/ inventoy/ and you can see what you have. But there is also some waste, really not a lot, but some yet again, its what fits your needs, like the photo above illustrates. Plus's and minus's for everything.

If I get off at a decent time Ill host some photos but due to OPSEC there will not be much else shown outside the short term food closet but this is the most impressive, most used, and best part I think. Ill also give ideas why I store what I do in cans. It makes sense, is nutritious, easy to cook/ prep, and versatile. I don't ever plan to bug out as I don't feel anyone can survive on foot/ out of the car for more than a month without resupply of some sort. Its like a wet dream. Nice, but never going to happen.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

FYI I hope recon above does not store a firearm in that locked case, open cell foam and metal leads to rust, quick fast and in a hurry. Also, OPSEC my friend... photoshop a dog into that corner of the photo or something.

Kelly

Launch Member

Traveler III

First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
FYI I hope recon above does not store a firearm in that locked case, open cell foam and metal leads to rust, quick fast and in a hurry. Also, OPSEC my friend... photoshop a dog into that corner of the photo or something.
It's Stainless, but thanks anyway :-) We've spoken about firearms in several threads here, so it's not like it's a secret that I own them. As for OPSEC, that photo was not at my house, so even those who know where I live, have no access.