Any Overlanding areas near Billings, MT?

• HTML tutorial

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Two of our sons plan to move to Montana within the next 5 years. Within that time all my kids will be moved out on their own so I have no reason for this big house. The internet says Billings has more sunny days than the rest of the state so I want to see if it is a place I want to move to. I am planning to do a road trip and overland camp along the way. Please let me know if you know of any public land we can dispersed camp near Billings, places to see, and/or any info we should know before going.

Thanks!

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Stella's Kitchen and Bakery, when on grid. Excellent breakfast and service.

I had a nice visit out last year. My nephew is in Gallatin Gateway and the area is stunningly, stark gorgeous. I dont have any info on Overlanding areas but seems like there would be a lot

Reactions: Ceg

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Stella's Kitchen and Bakery, when on grid. Excellent breakfast and service.

I had a nice visit out last year. My nephew is in Gallatin Gateway and the area is stunningly, stark gorgeous. I dont have any info on Overlanding areas but seems like there would be a lot
Thanks. I don't see any public land close to Billings.

watrboy

Rank II
Investor

Enthusiast I

Laurel, MT
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Rutt
Member #

Two of our sons plan to move to Montana within the next 5 years. Within that time all my kids will be moved out on their own so I have no reason for this big house. The internet says Billings has more sunny days than the rest of the state so I want to see if it is a place I want to move to. I am planning to do a road trip and overland camp along the way. Please let me know if you know of any public land we can dispersed camp near Billings, places to see, and/or any info we should know before going.

Thanks!
A little south of Billings is the Pryor Mountains and lots of exploring and dispersed camping. I 90 corridor is great for exploring as long as you want to drive the gravel roads. But camping is cheap in the smaller towns along the way. I have driven the state east and west of Billings on backroads and enjoyed the slower pace and interesting areas to see. Just not much free dispersed camping. All the small towns have areas, though. 5th generation Yellowstone County and still love it.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
A little south of Billings is the Pryor Mountains and lots of exploring and dispersed camping. I 90 corridor is great for exploring as long as you want to drive the gravel roads. But camping is cheap in the smaller towns along the way. I have driven the state east and west of Billings on backroads and enjoyed the slower pace and interesting areas to see. Just not much free dispersed camping. All the small towns have areas, though. 5th generation Yellowstone County and still love it.
Thank you!

Reactions: watrboy