First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I am generally interested I hope this thread has some good discussion. I can not see any good reason why someone in a wheel chair and properly setup vehicle could not overland. The only direct limitations I can think of would be campsite selection, shelter and of course vehicle setup.
A basic wheelchair it self is an issue but I have seen a number of options for that on local gravel trails as well, thanks to this thread being started some interesting options on the internet.

I have had limited experience with wheel chair bound people, so my comments may end up being pretty useless. But I might be able to offer something useful now and again.

One other thing would be where you are traveling, I suspect in most of North America being in a wheel chair in general is not largely difficult. Other parts of the world could be significantly more challenging.

Reactions: Tshu858

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Being a right BKA, I am always interested in how other people work it. I ran into a guy outside of the Ducks practice Ice , and he had a Jeep JKU with a rear lift and "docking station" for his wheelchair. I kick myself for leaving my phone in my Jeep , then I would have takin pics of the set up ..There was no rear seat so he could roll right up to the driver's position and the rear had a lift to pick up him in his wheelchair....

Rogerrover

Rank IV
Launch Member

Benefactor

PNW Cloverdale Oregon
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Titus
Member #

I am a recent BKA he in the Left Leg. Prior to this I love going out in my landrover and having fun now I have a lift on the back for my mobility scooter.

I'm looking my landrover hes an automatic however my 49 Jeep Willys overland it is not. I will have to figure a way out to be able to drive my JeepWere guess yet a automatic transmission for that that can attach to a 225 slant six..

Is the meantime while I'm waiting for my new leg I will need to play in the garage for a while.

Peace out a heap overlanding

Reactions: 9Mike2

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Your lucky I guess? with a right BKA, I have a bracket that locks down to the floor to move the gas petal to the left of the brake petal. and it comes out by pulling a lever and sliding it to one side, so my wife can drive it too. Both our vehicles have it. But you have to remember to remove it before you let someone else drive it or they will go straight anything in the path of it!!!!!

Tshu858

Rank 0

Contributor I

Eddy, Falls County, Texas, United States
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Shuster
My apologies for the radio silence, I think I missed the notifications about the comments. For on the trail, I have my “outdoor chair”, I’ll post a picture at the bottom. I run a set of floor mounted hand controls, wouldn’t change them for anything. I will have a camper shell on the bed, which will flip up allow the crane to load/unload the chair. I’ll post a picture of my old 09, my explanation does zero justice for turn setup. The current truck has not been fully modified yet, waiting on &$)($?/)$&;:(;::$&85;( workers comp to pull their heads out, they claim I don’t need any of the modifications to be independent…‍

I’ll go back through the replies, and see if I missed anything, my memory isn’t the best anymore.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tshu858

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Shuster
I am generally interested I hope this thread has some good discussion. I can not see any good reason why someone in a wheel chair and properly setup vehicle could not overland. The only direct limitations I can think of would be campsite selection, shelter and of course vehicle setup.
A basic wheelchair it self is an issue but I have seen a number of options for that on local gravel trails as well, thanks to this thread being started some interesting options on the internet.

I have had limited experience with wheel chair bound people, so my comments may end up being pretty useless. But I might be able to offer something useful now and again.

One other thing would be where you are traveling, I suspect in most of North America being in a wheel chair in general is not largely difficult. Other parts of the world could be significantly more challenging.
To be honest, some of the best insights come from those looking in, as you might see things I miss due to being so accustomed to doing things a certain way. I welcome any and all comments, there is rarely a bad idea, I may not always benefit, but someone else may. Thank you for your reply, and the thought provoking idea you shared.

**edited to fix half asleep typo

Tshu858

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Shuster
Being a right BKA, I am always interested in how other people work it. I ran into a guy outside of the Ducks practice Ice , and he had a Jeep JKU with a rear lift and "docking station" for his wheelchair. I kick myself for leaving my phone in my Jeep , then I would have takin pics of the set up ..There was no rear seat so he could roll right up to the driver's position and the rear had a lift to pick up him in his wheelchair....
I can’t even begin to say how many times old blue was photographed or video’s, and I smiled every time, it is a pretty unique setup it seems. I also had many folks stop and ask about the setup, as they had someone who could use one like it. I know I may look gruff and intimidating, but I’m really a gentle giant lol

• Love
Reactions: 9Mike2

Tshu858

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Shuster
I am a recent BKA he in the Left Leg. Prior to this I love going out in my landrover and having fun now I have a lift on the back for my mobility scooter.

I'm looking my landrover hes an automatic however my 49 Jeep Willys overland it is not. I will have to figure a way out to be able to drive my JeepWere guess yet a automatic transmission for that that can attach to a 225 slant six..

Is the meantime while I'm waiting for my new leg I will need to play in the garage for a while.

Peace out a heap overlanding
49 willys? That’s a sweet ride, I hope you can get it setup for you, that will be a great feeling. Do you go on the trails at with the rover? I know you mentioned the lift on the back, and how that could be a limitation to some extent. Depending on the scooter, some of them break down pretty easily, which would allow it to be stowed inside the rover. I’d be happy to see if we can get you on the trails again, if you haven’t been since, I’ve been around the equipment for 12 years, and have learned a few tricks about them.

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

My apologies for the radio silence, I think I missed the notifications about the comments. For on the trail, I have my “outdoor chair”, I’ll post a picture at the bottom. I run a set of floor mounted hand controls, wouldn’t change them for anything. I will have a camper shell on the bed, which will flip up allow the crane to load/unload the chair. I’ll post a picture of my old 09, my explanation does zero justice for turn setup. The current truck has not been fully modified yet, waiting on &$)($?/)$&;:(;::$&85;( workers comp to pull their heads out, they claim I don’t need any of the modifications to be independent…‍

I’ll go back through the replies, and see if I missed anything, my memory isn’t the best anymore.
Very Cool!!!! I would love to see it in action...I still get people saying Oh, so your handicapped? when I pull up with my lifted Jeep in a Handicapped spot. I had a woman follow me to the store yelling till I pulled my leg off and waved it at her....... :dizzy:

Tshu858

Rank 0

Contributor I

First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Shuster

Very Cool!!!! I would love to see it in action...I still get people saying Oh, so your handicapped? when I pull up with my lifted Jeep in a Handicapped spot. I had a woman follow me to the store yelling till I pulled my leg off and waved it at her....... :dizzy:
Yeah, I’ve had some of those, usually they’re upset because the big truck with the young, obviously not handicapped guy with disabled plates is using someone else’s parking pass…I watch them as they make haste to the truck, smile politely, as I start lifting the cap to get the chair out. Had one so bent on me not being disabled, chewing me out with my door open, as I’m working the lifts to get the chair out. I politely explain that I need them to move so I can get my chair, and they just kept going on. I explained again that I needed them to move before my chair hit them in the head, they continued, until the chair hit them in the head…

Once the truck is modified, I’ll post pictures and video, it really is a slick setup