Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
Anyone out there that have adopted the philosophy of less is more? Man the fully built rigs sure are sweet on the eyes but I guess it doesn’t fit my POU (philosophy of use - side bar: any nutnfancy fans here?) So I did want a reliable and inexpensive rig that’s family friendly-ish for 4. I live in Kansas and my ideal destinations are usually in the 300-500+ mile range from us. I sold my TJ (to my brother with first buyback option) and started thinking about a good platform with a 13K budget. I came in way under at a $6K purchase and have about $3500 in it in additions. Any Toyota in decent shape fit that bill but left me usually with high miles and in stock form. I landed on a 2004 grand Cherokee single owner with 160K miles with the most detailed service history that I’ve ever seen. I put a small OME lift on it and an ARB front bumper replacement on and a smittybuilt winch on. Put on take off wheels from a JKU wrangler that are just under 32”. Looking at expanding cargo capacity via roof rack but am up against a wall thinking it is going to tank mpg. The lift and tires already took a toll, I get about 17mpg driving conservatively on the highway. What other options are there for added storage without tanking mpg. One thought was a receiver hitch spare carrier which would free up a good bit of cargo space under the rear floor.

Attachments

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Depending on the type of trails/roads you will be travelling you will likely find the WJ will drag its trailer hitch frequently when going through dips etc on FS roads. Ours does even with the 4" lift, the hitch hangs pretty low and there is more overhang than you would think. (along with the fuel tank) and adding a typical hitch mount carrier will exaggerate that even more. I have purchased a kit of parts and fittings to build some type of tire carrier, but have not yet got around to a design I am happy with. There was a rear hatch mount tire carrier made by HK Off-Road that mounted the tire on the rear hatch up high blocking the rear view, but we did not love the mounting location due to it being a daily driver and kind of in your face.

We have 230k miles on our 2000 and it has proven to be a very reliable and capable vehicle that has served us well. We did add some factory heavy duty roof rack cross bars that we found new old stock on Ebay that made the roof rack far more usable. and mounted an ARB awning, Max Trax mounts and a Thule rocket box roof top carrier that we put our Gazelle tent, sleeping gear etc in for overnight trips, and remove it for daily use. The box is pretty aerodynamic and does not seem to have much impact on mileage (far less than the lift and larger tires did anyway). Getting the tent and camping gear up on the roof made a huge difference to available space inside the Jeep. We have a home built cabinet with a large drawer for tools and recovery gear and a Engel 30liter drawer fridge in the back that allows for two totes of camping gear to sit on top. We also removed the bottom of the 60 percent rear seat and added a platform with some storage under since we do not typically have passengers. All in all we can squirrel away plenty of gear where it does not feel stuffed inside.

Reactions: MidwestVoyager

MidwestVoyager

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
Depending on the type of trails/roads you will be travelling you will likely find the WJ will drag its trailer hitch frequently when going through dips etc on FS roads. Ours does even with the 4" lift, the hitch hangs pretty low and there is more overhang than you would think. (along with the fuel tank) and adding a typical hitch mount carrier will exaggerate that even more. I have purchased a kit of parts and fittings to build some type of tire carrier, but have not yet got around to a design I am happy with. There was a rear hatch mount tire carrier made by HK Off-Road that mounted the tire on the rear hatch up high blocking the rear view, but we did not love the mounting location due to it being a daily driver and kind of in your face.

We have 230k miles on our 2000 and it has proven to be a very reliable and capable vehicle that has served us well. We did add some factory heavy duty roof rack cross bars that we found new old stock on Ebay that made the roof rack far more usable. and mounted an ARB awning, Max Trax mounts and a Thule rocket box roof top carrier that we put our Gazelle tent, sleeping gear etc in for overnight trips, and remove it for daily use. The box is pretty aerodynamic and does not seem to have much impact on mileage (far less than the lift and larger tires did anyway). Getting the tent and camping gear up on the roof made a huge difference to available space inside the Jeep. We have a home built cabinet with a large drawer for tools and recovery gear and a Engel 30liter drawer fridge in the back that allows for two totes of camping gear to sit on top. We also removed the bottom of the 60 percent rear seat and added a platform with some storage under since we do not typically have passengers. All in all we can squirrel away plenty of gear where it does not feel stuffed inside.
Appreciate the insight. This one doesn’t have a hitch but I know what you mean on the fuel tank. It does have the heavier fuel tank skid place at least. I’ve looked at a Wilco tire carrier and a Rigd ultra swing. Both are pretty high dollar. Taking this one out in its maiden voyage in a few weeks to the souther San Juan’s of Colorado. Looking forward to it!

velojym

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alabama
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Caron
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4LBP
I've used my Burb in minimal fashion a few times, not because I don't want anything more, but just haven't spent the dough on more. Inflatable camp mattress in the back, a couple of tubs for storage. Eventually, I'll probably go as far as a hatch tent and a little more camp gear, but that's probably it.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
Sure, I'll bite. I keep the builds simple and replaceable, with a few small modified/fabricated accessories (like a front hitch receiver). Off-road is my primary intention, daily duty is optional, and camping is absolute bottom priority. I use all of my trucks for truck duty and need the cargo space and passenger space, and importantly keeps the weight down for wheeling.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

"What other options are there for added storage without tanking mpg "
Cross bars + roof box. You can get them on the cheap from small ads. Impact to MPG will be minimal, an so will be the noise. Easily removable at the end of the trip. You can keep for example the tent, chairs, sleeping bags etc., ready to go inside the box. When you go camp you get some food, put the box on top and you go. It does not look as cool as a rack, but will be far better for mpg and noise. Your gear will be safe from the elements and thieves when you stop for lunch or shopping.
There are plenty of brackets if you want to attach an awning to the cross bars.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Keeping it simple is my philosophy as well. I guess it comes naturally when you start off with a TJ.

My old bone stock WK on p-rated street tires was plenty capable of getting places.
12138564_10102602591737261_3319624697615514099_o.jpg

I've followed a simple path with my Land Cruiser as well, albeit a bit less basic. Any modifications I have made to it have been a result of a shortcoming that needed fixed for my liking.

What's up with the Kansas crew keeping it simple?

MidwestVoyager

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
What's up with the Kansas crew keeping it simple?
[/QUOTE]

It must just be a common trait out here in the middle. Yeah I started out into traveling in the mountains with a YJ. Cleaned that one up, sold it for close to double what I paid, moved on to a TJ and did the same, just found one with good bones and no rust down in Oklahoma but it needed a little TLC. Moved on to the wagon style in the WJ now as I didn't want to give up solid axels, have come to know the 4.0 pretty well and didn't want to give that up either, needed to fit two car seats and have cargo capacity with all passenger spaces utilized. The WJ punched the ticket. I liken it to a JKU, just a little more "soccer mom-ish" but that's alright lol. The poor man's (or maybe wise man's) 4runner.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Dug up a couple of photos of our old WJ with and without the roof box mounted, surprisingly the box does not create really any additional wind noise, however if running with it empty it does seem to rattle on its mounts. we remove it unless needed and that way we still fit in the garage for maintenance.

20201128_160034[1230].jpgWJ.jpg20220318_114120.jpg

MidwestVoyager

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

I would say I'm a big fan of minimalism, especially when it comes to rigs.
Mine has only a small lift, slightly larger tires, and a good bumper with a winch. Other than that, I can't imagine what else I would ever need. I built up a small trailer for all the non-minimalist things I bring for the family. lol

Reactions: Advtres

MidwestVoyager

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pratt County, KS, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Westerhaus
Member #

Service Branch
Fire/NREMT-BLS
Well we just returned home from a trip to southern Colorado and the inaugural trip for the WJ. It was a tight fit, but all our items packed in the back hatch for a family of four. We (my wife) definitely overpacked. We had a great time. The weather was perfect. The Jeep averaged 17 mpg going up from home to Cuchara, CO and 19 coming back down the "hill" pretty darn good.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Anyone out there that have adopted the philosophy of less is more?
i didnt operate that way until i got more into the overlanding/traveling. im not a "minimalist" because of money constraints or weight issues...BUT i did adopt that philosophy simply because i found that when we go out into nature with the goal of enjoying nature...we really dont need much. even when we "pack light", we still end up coming home with over half the food we took not eaten and the majority of the clothes we took not worn, not to mention all the gadgets and do-dads we took that never got out of the tote.

it really takes nothing to get out and enjoy the outdoors. nature is a cheap date :grinning: