Cincinnati, OH
First Name
Don
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB8WXZ
Just gauging interest in setting up a monthly meetup for the Cincinnati or SW Ohio, SE Indiana and NKY area. The purpose of the meetup would be to get to know others in the area, build relationships, organize some adventures, share knowledge, learn, show off our rigs, work on rigs, etc. I'm new to overlanding so I can't offer much in the way of knowledge but I am willing to take on the organizing piece of it and setting up the meetups. What sparked this was I am thinking of heading out and doing some weekend trips or maybe longer and thought it would be better to do it with others. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of rally points in the in the mid-west area that I have seen. Instead of just posting a message and looking for random people I figured there are probably others like me and thought it would be cool if there was a group of people in the area that was organized to do stuff. Anyways, reply if you would be interested and maybe we can put something together.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I have roots in the SW Ohio and NKY area. I use the Queen City as a regular crossroads when on cross-country adventures from the coast of Maine, so am typically through the area once or twice a year. Got to have my 4-way onion fix every once in a while and stop to see ol' pals.

I may actually be heading that way in the next month or two, and whether then or another time, I'd love to meet up with other Ohio River Valley folks interested in adventuring. I've been out exploring North America a long time on more extended trips than I can remember, from Cape Breton to San Diego and from Vancouver to Fort Pierce. So I'll keep an eye on this thread and what you get cooking.

Cool that you're reaching out to see what you can help create.

qman_3271-1000.jpeg

Reactions: SJ.Overland

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Just gauging interest in setting up a monthly meetup for the Cincinnati or SW Ohio, SE Indiana and NKY area. The purpose of the meetup would be to get to know others in the area, build relationships, organize some adventures, share knowledge, learn, show off our rigs, work on rigs, etc. I'm new to overlanding so I can't offer much in the way of knowledge but I am willing to take on the organizing piece of it and setting up the meetups. What sparked this was I am thinking of heading out and doing some weekend trips or maybe longer and thought it would be better to do it with others. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of rally points in the in the mid-west area that I have seen. Instead of just posting a message and looking for random people I figured there are probably others like me and thought it would be cool if there was a group of people in the area that was organized to do stuff. Anyways, reply if you would be interested and maybe we can put something together.
if you publish a Rally Point I will boost the post so you get more interest.

KB8WXZ

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Cincinnati, OH
First Name
Don
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB8WXZ
can I do a Rally Point without a definitive location and a date and time? I am trying to find out if there is an interest and then start the discussion of the when and where and then I will create a Rally Point for the meetup.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
can I do a Rally Point without a definitive location and a date and time? I am trying to find out if there is an interest and then start the discussion of the when and where and then I will create a Rally Point for the meetup.
I will DM in a bit

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

We were trying to get a Rigs and Coffee event started before the plague hit and interest kind of fizzled. I'm just north of 275. Let me know and I'll be there.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
Any updates on this yet? I have a few free weekends coming up in August so figured I'd reach out.

KB8WXZ

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Cincinnati, OH
First Name
Don
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB8WXZ
Any updates on this yet? I have a few free weekends coming up in August so figured I'd reach out.
I am trying to find a good location. Here are my ideas. I didn't want to do just some restaurant or mall parking lot. I was looking for some outdoor location like a park. The parks around Cincinnati, county and city have fees associated with them. And to reserve anything cost money. So I was looking for something free. The best location I found was Caesar Creek SP. Its centrally located between the people that responded and SP are free to enter and you don't need any vehicle passes or anything. I found a spot that looks good, 39.5025193, -84.0387073. Its a parking area located within their group camping area. It doesn't look like its associated with any of the camps sites. I have not scouted it out other than google earth. I tried calling to see what the deal was with the group camp sites as they don't show up on the reservation site but only got recordings and a long hold. I am thinking of just setting up a rally point and taking my chances that it works out. Worse case would be we would just have to move to another area within the park.

As far as when, I was thinking a saturday or sunday morning from like 11am to 1pm or something like that. The weekend of Aug 21/22 or 28/29 works good for me and also gives a few weeks lead time for people to get it on their schedule.

I'll set up the rally point soon.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I am trying to find a good location. Here are my ideas. I didn't want to do just some restaurant or mall parking lot. I was looking for some outdoor location like a park. The parks around Cincinnati, county and city have fees associated with them. And to reserve anything cost money. So I was looking for something free. The best location I found was Caesar Creek SP. Its centrally located between the people that responded and SP are free to enter and you don't need any vehicle passes or anything. I found a spot that looks good, 39.5025193, -84.0387073. Its a parking area located within their group camping area. It doesn't look like its associated with any of the camps sites. I have not scouted it out other than google earth. I tried calling to see what the deal was with the group camp sites as they don't show up on the reservation site but only got recordings and a long hold. I am thinking of just setting up a rally point and taking my chances that it works out. Worse case would be we would just have to move to another area within the park.

As far as when, I was thinking a saturday or sunday morning from like 11am to 1pm or something like that. The weekend of Aug 21/22 or 28/29 works good for me and also gives a few weeks lead time for people to get it on their schedule.

I'll set up the rally point soon.
That works for me. I'm actually not far at all from Caesar Creek and I frequent the area. I can swing by and ask in person this weekend for you on the group sites. They will cost money though to reserve if I'm recalling correctly, but there are plenty of parking lots around the park where we can make something work as long it doesn't get massive.

KB8WXZ

Rank V

Enthusiast I

Cincinnati, OH
First Name
Don
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB8WXZ
That works for me. I'm actually not far at all from Caesar Creek and I frequent the area. I can swing by and ask in person this weekend for you on the group sites. They will cost money though to reserve if I'm recalling correctly, but there are plenty of parking lots around the park where we can make something work as long it doesn't get massive.
I figured it would cost money reserve. I'm not planning on reserving anything. I was hoping to see a schedule to make sure there wasn't some huge event or something going on for the weekend I selected and the place would be packed. If you could check it out that would be great. Like you said, there are plenty of parking lot areas there so we can always move if need be.

Reactions: SJ.Overland

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I figured it would cost money reserve. I'm not planning on reserving anything. I was hoping to see a schedule to make sure there wasn't some huge event or something going on for the weekend I selected and the place would be packed. If you could check it out that would be great. Like you said, there are plenty of parking lot areas there so we can always move if need be.
I'll head down that way on Saturday likely and I can DM you my thoughts on areas. As long as there aren't events we can probably use the Picnic areas.