Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Santa Rosa, California, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

We just got our new addition lifted and setup with some tires. Turning out to be a fun commuter.

2019 RAV4 XSE Hybrid with a 2.5" Rough Country lift, 245/60r18 Falken Wild Peak Trail A/Ts, , Diode Dynamics LED fog light Stage 3 ambers, crossbars, and a new Yakima Skybox. Looking to get a roof rack that works with the sun roof soon and a few more goodies.

Vince Rothermund

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

Finally! It worked.

Better pics to come. Pics make it look like the butt is up in the air. The car actually sits perfectly level now and looks great with the new, larger tires. My wife is stoked!

Attachments

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
Finally! It worked.

Better pics to come. Pics make it look like the butt is up in the air. The car actually sits perfectly level now and looks great with the new, larger tires. My wife is stoked!
Very nice! What kind of fuel economy are you getting with those tires? I'm looking at those ones, the Nitto Nomad Grapplers, or the older Yokohama Geolanders. I only want some modest soft road performance without worrying about damaging my low rolling resistance factory tires but I also want to stay above 40 mpg on the road. My best trip so far was 45.4 mpg driving back and forth to work.

Thanks!
-Ryan

Reactions: Vince Rothermund

Vince Rothermund

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

Finally! It worked.

Very nice! What kind of fuel economy are you getting with those tires? I'm looking at those ones, the Nitto Nomad Grapplers, or the older Yokohama Geolanders. I only want some modest soft road performance without worrying about damaging my low rolling resistance factory tires but I also want to stay above 40 mpg on the road. My best trip so far was 45.4 mpg driving back and forth to work.

Thanks!
-Ryan
The WildPeak A/Ts have been awesome! These are nice and light compared to the BFGs or the Toyos. They have performed really well on the road, in the snow, and off-road. The MPGs do drop a bit. We went from a consistent 40+ to around 36. That is with a 2.5 inch lift and the larger tires. If you don't plan on the lift and stay the stock size tire, you should do better.

Jclicky

Rank 0

Contributor II

Any insights here on how to avoid that strange wobble some experience at low speeds?
Seems to be a matter of dialing in the settings in on install & proper alignment to not have awful drive characteristics.

Also seems like the Torq Engineering Kit is fairly reliable.

Also, someone was able to even go w/ a (gutsy, rough install) of bumpers + detailed suspension work here to increase travel, thoughts on that?

I'm trying to plan my own budgeting for a planned PRIME purchase + lift + upTOP rack + split tailgate custom work to make a "babyRunner" custom homage to the OG 4Runner

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
While awesome, I think that suspension is overkill for the little rav. I will refrain from recommending the RC kit until they sort out my front suspension clunking issue. If they figure that out and get it gone out of my rig, I will give that system a thumbs up for sure.

Reactions: Jclicky

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Any insights here on how to avoid that strange wobble some experience at low speeds?
Seems to be a matter of dialing in the settings in on install & proper alignment to not have awful drive characteristics.

Also seems like the Torq Engineering Kit is fairly reliable.

Also, someone was able to even go w/ a (gutsy, rough install) of bumpers + detailed suspension work here to increase travel, thoughts on that?

I'm trying to plan my own budgeting for a planned PRIME purchase + lift + upTOP rack + split tailgate custom work to make a "babyRunner" custom homage to the OG 4Runner
the wobble is due to excess angles of the CV joints in the front suspension. Happens on Patriots too. THANKFULLY, mine does not have it. but it does have a high speed shimmy. I suspect it's due to one of my wheel spacers ont being on 100 percent centered. They are buggers since they are lug centric and not hub centric. I have not been able to find a set of hubcentric spacers for my patriot.

Reactions: Jclicky

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
After experiencing the low rolling resistance factory tires in the snow and ice this morning, I'm definitely interested in getting some better tires. Too bad they only have around 8000 miles on them. I'm going to try and hold out for the sake of good financial decisions but I'm getting tempted by those Falken Wildpeak Trails and Nitto Nomads.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I recommend the AT3W falkens. They are great on road, off road and in winter. Ice is a bit sketchy but still controlable.
I'm leaning heavily into the lightest most fuel efficient tire I can that is capable of light trail duty and competent in the snow compared to normal all seasons. 95% of the driving in my use case is commuting for work unfortunately. I know the Nitto Nomads are still kind of new but they are purpose designed for crosstrek/forester/rav4/crv sized CUVs and the few reviews I find are really positive. I'm willing to beta test. When I want the technical stuff I have a Taco on KO2s.

Flamewave

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Oakdale, CT
First Name
John
Last Name
Matusiak
Member #

I'm leaning heavily into the lightest most fuel efficient tire I can that is capable of light trail duty and competent in the snow compared to normal all seasons.
I think you should also consider Geolandars. I've run them in P225/65r17 and loved them enough to buy them again in LT30x9.5r15. About the lightest ATs you can get, severe snow service rated, grippy wet or dry.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I think you should also consider Geolandars. I've run them in P225/65r17 and loved them enough to buy them again in LT30x9.5r15. About the lightest ATs you can get, severe snow service rated, grippy wet or dry.
Thanks! They are on my list. Just a little lower because a few youtube overlanders have reported more punctures with those than other brands. Still in consideration though. I've got months before I need to make a decision.

Reactions: Flamewave

Vince Rothermund

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Vince
Last Name
Rothermund
Member #

Our 235/65/17 AT3W tires are 31 lbs each. Lighter than the previous Kumho's I had on. They are only 6lbs heavier than the stock 215 firestones. The amount of real world grip from the falkens on dry, wet, snowy, icy and dirt roads is a night and day difference. They are THAT GOOD!
The Falken A/Ts have been amazing!

mnormand

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lafayette, LA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Normand
Member #

Interesting thread.. I'm thinking hard about downscaling to a used Rav4 AWD from many years of 4runners, trucks, Jeeps, etc. Older age now.. looking for max reliability, mpg, comfort, etc. All I need these days is enough awd for sketchy small boat landings, usual forest roads, explore, camp, etc.