Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
I was thinking of getting a Megamat Duo, but didn't notice the Max version which is thicker, Anyone have both, and have any preferences, or likes/dislikes?

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

We have the "regular" Mega Mat (10) for over a year now. and like it a lot. I don't see any need to "upgrade" to a taller one. It is very comfy for two adults.

Reactions: educky

RedLeg

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Locust Grove, VA
First Name
Leif
Last Name
Henecke
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
We have had one in our Taxa Cricket adventure trailer for over 2 years now and it works great and doesn’t take up much space. Easy to inflate and deflate to adjust for comfort. We went through several different pads/tri-fold mattresses before finding the MegaMat Duo XL, definitely worth the money to us. We just picked up an Oztent RV-4 and are planning to use it in that as well. Very happy with our experience.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
Hrm maybe the extra isnt worth it... What about leaks? Anyone have any issues? While I understand mass production is prone to issues, It seems spending $$$ over a thermarest or something that will just fail as any air mattress does.. seems like a horrible move.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

We opted for 2 Megamats and not the Duo for a little added flexibility. They were purchased last year in the middle of a five week trip for their high insulation values and while they have lived up to their advertisements for warmth, the real surprise is the comfort. Hands down the most comfortable camping mattress we've ever experienced. We now have over 50 nights on ours and no leaks. My wife made a fitted sheet which is more like a sheet sack to hold them together and we couldn't be happier.

• Love

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
We opted for 2 Megamats and not the Duo for a little added flexibility. They were purchased last year in the middle of a five week trip for their high insulation values and while they have lived up to their advertisements for warmth, the real surprise is the comfort. Hands down the most comfortable camping mattress we've ever experienced. We now have over 50 nights on ours and no leaks. My wife made a fitted sheet which is more like a sheet sack to hold them together and we couldn't be happier.
Nice Idea! and if one is faulty we arent totally hosed... am now checking my local REI for stock... (and separate "Comfort Zones" =)

Last edited:

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

My wife and I did the same , went with 2 megamats. Very comfortable so far, only got to use them a few times. Another plus to separate mats is your rolling or changing position doesn't affect each other.

bshef

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sandy, UT, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
Sheffield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7OXS
I've got the duo in my CK rtt. It's amazing and there is about a 6-8" area where the mattress isn't quite long enough, so it provides storage for the pump I use. I leave the duo partially inflated and stored in my tent at all times. It was an excellent upgrade. I don't have any experience vs the Max, though.

educky

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bonney Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Morehead
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7RTO
They are in my spare bedroom going through their 24 hour expansion period... (2 Megamat 10's) though it says to wait 1hr, then "pump it up to full" for 24 hours; I am not sure how full is full.. so i just made the pad firm...

Reactions: justjames

RubyCan

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Surprise, AZ, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Todd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NB7EL
We have the "regular" Mega Mat (10) for over a year now. and like it a lot. I don't see any need to "upgrade" to a taller one. It is very comfy for two adults.
A question for you. When you let the air out and then roll it up to get the last of the air, how thick is it? We have an iKamper Mini and are looking at the Mega Mat to replace the iKamper mat but I want to make sure we will still be able to close the thing back up.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

A question for you. When you let the air out and then roll it up to get the last of the air, how thick is it? We have an iKamper Mini and are looking at the Mega Mat to replace the iKamper mat but I want to make sure we will still be able to close the thing back up.
We did this for our FSR RTT. Once deflted, it is much thinner than the mattress we removed.

Rolando

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Lovettsville, VA
First Name
Roland
Last Name
Woldt
Member #

It is thinner, but when you roll it up it will fill the bag that it comes with nicely - and the bag is pretty large. It you leave it flat you should have no problems to fold it once and leave it in your tent.

I am actually looking for a tent that accommodates the Exped size for the very same reason (which unfortunately takes the Frontrunner RTT out of the equation).

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

I was thinking of getting a Megamat Duo, but didn't notice the Max version which is thicker, Anyone have both, and have any preferences, or likes/dislikes?
I just got a Megamat 10 and can't wait to try it. If it works well, I might get rid of my inflatable queen size and get an additional one for the wife.

Reactions: HaVeeBear

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I have had my megamat since about a year after they were first introduced, still use it and have had no leaks. I got my wife one a few year later and no leaks in that one either.

HaVeeBear

Rank V
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Elkridge, Maryland, United States
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Armendariz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3VWL
Glad I stumbled on this thread as I was just looking around for a camp mattress. Sounds like the megamat is highly recommended. How does it compare to the Klymit?

syncro

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

Glad I stumbled on this thread as I was just looking around for a camp mattress. Sounds like the megamat is highly recommended. How does it compare to the Klymit?
I ordered the Kymit because the Megamats were all out of stock. I expected it would be a nice thick double mattress, but it's not much better than my ten-year-old Thermarests. The package arrived, I opened it, inflated it, tried it out for two minutes. Then I deflated it and sent it back. Planning on getting an Exped (or two cots) this spring.

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
For those of you that have two paired up in a tent, how well do they sit next to each other? If they are in a tight quarter area I’d like to think they won’t have a gap between them if you roll over?

We go back and forth most of the night being next to each other or apart, I’ll go with the Duo if there’s a gap problem.

they will be inside a 58” wide sleeping area that I’d like to maximize. The duo is only 52” wide where the pair of long x wide would be 60 paired up, therefor they would be snug together.

unless someone can confirm that the duo is wider than 52 inflated

Edit : I wish they made a 60x80 one piece, it would 100% solve my problem lol.

Reactions: syncro

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
For those of you that have two paired up in a tent, how well do they sit next to each other? If they are in a tight quarter area I’d like to think they won’t have a gap between them if you roll over?

We go back and forth most of the night being next to each other or apart, I’ll go with the Duo if there’s a gap problem.

they will be inside a 58” wide sleeping area that I’d like to maximize. The duo is only 52” wide where the pair of long x wide would be 60 paired up, therefor they would be snug together.

I bought my first Megamat when they first came out and the 2nd one a few years later. They both came with a rubber band type thing to hold two of them together to make one big megamat. I have never used them so I don't know how well they work or if they still include them with the patch kit.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

If there were any "vigorous activities" in the center you would probably get a gap. Otherwise, with a sheet sack or a couple of elastic bands they would stay together fine.

Your post made me wonder a little, If you're putting 60 inches of mattress in a 58 inch wide tent you will obviously be against the tent walls on the edges. If your tent has any condensation, the edges of your bedding will get wet. Just a thought.........

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
If there were any "vigorous activities" in the center you would probably get a gap. Otherwise, with a sheet sack or a couple of elastic bands they would stay together fine.

Your post made me wonder a little, If you're putting 60 inches of mattress in a 58 inch wide tent you will obviously be against the tent walls on the edges. If your tent has any condensation, the edges of your bedding will get wet. Just a thought.........
I might end up going with the duo for the simple reason it’s cheaper. Two mega mats almost double the price. The extra 6” of bed would be nice. But Im not sure it’s worth the extra $.

i think that the way they would be sandwiched in my tent would keep them from having a gap (hard wedge tent). I just don’t want the annoyance of rolling over into a crack.