Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Hey all, I'm looking for actual experience with, and feedback on 8.1 GMT800 Suburbans from owners. I'm pretty familiar with the GMT800 platform as a whole, and I've had a few buddies with 8.1s in pickups but nothing beats real-world experience that matches the intended use case from owners.

A little context: I have a cousin that is right around my age that has 3 kids. He's a great father and hard worker, but doesn't make a ton of money. His wife is a teacher, which also doesn't pay incredibly well. They live in a rather expensive part of CA and basically just get by. His oldest is about to be off to college, but his two boys are much younger and are getting to the age he wants to camp with them more, and go to the family cabin way out in the middle of nowhere in the Payette National Forest in Idaho. Right now the best he has to go camp with is borrowing his Mom's (my Aunt) FWD Toyota Venza. It has gotten him by, but it's hard on the Venza and the passengers getting in/out of our cabin. The "driveway" has a few steep, rocky, rutted sectctions. He has to have everyone get out and carry gear up the hill then just hammer it up with as little weight in it as possible.

For a long time I've really thought about, and wanted to get him something he can use as a cabin and camping rig with his boys. For cabin trips he often takes his Mom too, so between 4+ people and food/water/ice/gear for a week at the cabin (it's a real-deal cabin, like no electricity etc. so you have to bring in everything) I just figured a Suburban was the right thing. I have an opportunity to get a clean, 1-owner '01 8.1 4x4 Suburban for a very reasonable price and think it could be "the one" for what I want to do. But my biggest concerns are "gifting" my cousin a money-pit he can't afford. The owner's family have kept it up pretty meticulously so I have a pretty good feeling about it not nickel and diming my cousin to death with maintenance backlog. The trans was replaced recently, which is great on the one hand but then a bit surprising for a relatively low-mile 4L85-E on the other hand. I'm working on more detail now, I believe it's pretty loaded (that's all the owner's family buys) and generally very clean and "should" have no immediate requirements.

So, 8.1 'burb owners, what say you? And just how miserable will the fuel mileage be in real-world use with 4+ passengers and a week of gear? Right now w/ the Venza they have to strap shit to the roof and really load it down, so I'd guess they're seeing 20mpg at best. Will the 'burb do 10mpg (thereby doubling his fuel costs on trips), or worse? I was originally thinking of a 1500 for the 5.3 and better MPG (14-15 highway would be a lot better than 10) but then in that era, and my budget, it means a 4L60-E which is always a timebomb and I believe a 10-bolt which is also under-spec for a Suburban IMHO.

-TJ

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
If they are primarily going to use it loaded, the 8.1 isn't going to care. It' likely going to get the same mileage loaded or empty and be way better at dealing with the passengers and load than a 1/2 ton or the Venza. While I haven't specifically had one with an 8.1, I'd love to have one......Suburbans are the best family hauling zero compromise (when it comes to packing) vehicle there is. I think it's a solid idea.

mrpeterclark

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Clark
Hey all, I'm looking for actual experience with, and feedback on 8.1 GMT800 Suburbans from owners. I'm pretty familiar with the GMT800 platform as a whole, and I've had a few buddies with 8.1s in pickups but nothing beats real-world experience that matches the intended use case from owners.

A little context: I have a cousin that is right around my age that has 3 kids. He's a great father and hard worker, but doesn't make a ton of money. His wife is a teacher, which also doesn't pay incredibly well. They live in a rather expensive part of CA and basically just get by. His oldest is about to be off to college, but his two boys are much younger and are getting to the age he wants to camp with them more, and go to the family cabin way out in the middle of nowhere in the Payette National Forest in Idaho. Right now the best he has to go camp with is borrowing his Mom's (my Aunt) FWD Toyota Venza. It has gotten him by, but it's hard on the Venza and the passengers getting in/out of our cabin. The "driveway" has a few steep, rocky, rutted sectctions. He has to have everyone get out and carry gear up the hill then just hammer it up with as little weight in it as possible.

For a long time I've really thought about, and wanted to get him something he can use as a cabin and camping rig with his boys. For cabin trips he often takes his Mom too, so between 4+ people and food/water/ice/gear for a week at the cabin (it's a real-deal cabin, like no electricity etc. so you have to bring in everything) I just figured a Suburban was the right thing. I have an opportunity to get a clean, 1-owner '01 8.1 4x4 Suburban for a very reasonable price and think it could be "the one" for what I want to do. But my biggest concerns are "gifting" my cousin a money-pit he can't afford. The owner's family have kept it up pretty meticulously so I have a pretty good feeling about it not nickel and diming my cousin to death with maintenance backlog. The trans was replaced recently, which is great on the one hand but then a bit surprising for a relatively low-mile 4L85-E on the other hand. I'm working on more detail now, I believe it's pretty loaded (that's all the owner's family buys) and generally very clean and "should" have no immediate requirements.

So, 8.1 'burb owners, what say you? And just how miserable will the fuel mileage be in real-world use with 4+ passengers and a week of gear? Right now w/ the Venza they have to strap shit to the roof and really load it down, so I'd guess they're seeing 20mpg at best. Will the 'burb do 10mpg (thereby doubling his fuel costs on trips), or worse? I was originally thinking of a 1500 for the 5.3 and better MPG (14-15 highway would be a lot better than 10) but then in that era, and my budget, it means a 4L60-E which is always a timebomb and I believe a 10-bolt which is also under-spec for a Suburban IMHO.

-TJ
Hey TJ,
Not sure if you pulled the trigger or not, but I think there are a couple of options in the GMT800 1/2 ton variety that come with the 4L80 and 14 bolt rear. Honestly, for the type of use your talking the 10 bolt is adequate, but I too would rather have the better transmission. You might check specs on the Z71 and LTZ trucks or something that came with the two/haul package. The 5.3 will get better mpgs and every shop can work on them (or you cousin if he's handy). I'm not a hater on the 8.1. I think they're pretty much bullet proof. The Denali also has the 14 bolt and the 6.0 4L80, but they put in the AWD tcase instead of a selectable 2 speed. They actually drive great and the traction contol works really well in icy stuff, but not a true off-roader. I hate not having 4 Low when I need it (which isn't often really), and I wish I could put it in 2WD the rest of the time. I think it would improve mileage. I haven't ridden in a 2500 in a really long time, but I think the ride is a bit harsh compared to the plush ride of a 1500.

I drive a GMT900, but I spend a lot of time talking with the Suburban crowd, and they LOVE GMT800s. I think it's a solid choice. Feel free to shoot me an email.
Baseline Overland Suburan Roof Rack 2007 - 2014 winch bumper 9.JPG

RAD_OUTDOORS

Rank I

Contributor II

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
MMM
Last Name
CCC
I know this is an old thread, but have you found your truck?

I have a 2004 Yukon XL 2500 with the 8.1L and 4:10 gears. It gets used quite often for towing, off roading, and hauling and has easily been the best truck I've ever owned. PM me if you want any specific info.

Attachments

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I know this is an old thread, but have you found your truck?

I have a 2004 Yukon XL 2500 with the 8.1L and 4:10 gears. It gets used quite often for towing, off roading, and hauling and has easily been the best truck I've ever owned. PM me if you want any specific info.
Re-bumping this old thread, thanks for your reply! I haven't picked the rig up yet, but it seems like the seller is finally tired of it just sitting so I may get it soon. Great info, and if I do get it I'll PM you to find out what I need to know/look out for.

-TJ