Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

I have had one since January, and really pleased with it. It is so much more than just for getting away. I use it all the time at work as mobile shop and office, as well as just moving things around. It pulls like you will never know it is there with my Jeep. The battery system is really well put together. The stove /heater is so superior to anything else in the camper world. I do make coffee but have mostly cooked outside but its great to take the chill off. I have the AC unit in the front compartment with no regrets. Passenger side box is super handy. Its not cheep in any way, they use great materials and hardware. I have not taken it down in bad weather, but have thought about it. I had a trailer with a RTT but it was no fun in the rain and wind. We plan to head west and I like the security and ability to pull over and sleep with out deploying the roof is key. I see no issues in getting a good nights sleep in windy conditions unlike the tent. With us both over 60 it is just right.

Attachments

Reactions: El-Dracho

Gstrange

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Strange
Member #

I have had one since January, and really pleased with it. It is so much more than just for getting away. I use it all the time at work as mobile shop and office, as well as just moving things around. It pulls like you will never know it is there with my Jeep. The battery system is really well put together. The stove /heater is so superior to anything else in the camper world. I do make coffee but have mostly cooked outside but its great to take the chill off. I have the AC unit in the front compartment with no regrets. Passenger side box is super handy. Its not cheep in any way, they use great materials and hardware. I have not taken it down in bad weather, but have thought about it. I had a trailer with a RTT but it was no fun in the rain and wind. We plan to head west and I like the security and ability to pull over and sleep with out deploying the roof is key. I see no issues in getting a good nights sleep in windy conditions unlike the tent. With us both over 60 it is just right.
It is great to hear from campers who have gotten one of these units! My wife and I pulled the trigger last night and put a deposit down on an AS-1 Pro. Looking forward to the time we can pick it up! I do have a question for you. You stated that you have your A/C in the front compartment. I like that location, but the manufacturer told us the A/C works better placed on the driver side wall, especially in areas of the U.S. that has higher humidity like we do in KY. What are your thoughts on this since you have owned on for a while now? When running the A/C, do you have to have the front compartment door open for air circulation?
Any information is greatly appreciated, since we are in the first stages of our build.
Thanks!

Bulwinkle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yarmouth, ME, USA
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Michaelsen
Member #

I have not used the AC yet.... but there is a drain and some added side vents.. I probably would leave the door open...and don't see any disadvantage.... I was worried that it sticking out on the drivers side that it could get snagged on a branch and with the jeep there is not a bunch of rear visibility... My Son and his wife used it this weekend and she took a nap with it on... did not hear any issues.. Glad you ordered one... I did have some moisture get in the side box when I left it closed for @ 4 weeks... so you will want to check in on items in that space... Pretty sure it was from the top weather stripping. I did put some plastic open grate in the bottom to let air in and keep things off the AL bottom.
Glad to hear from you.... I told the crew at the shop they needed to join OB!!! Maybe chime in on that...

Reactions: Gstrange

Gstrange

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bowling Green, KY, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Strange
Member #

I have not used the AC yet.... but there is a drain and some added side vents.. I probably would leave the door open...and don't see any disadvantage.... I was worried that it sticking out on the drivers side that it could get snagged on a branch and with the jeep there is not a bunch of rear visibility... My Son and his wife used it this weekend and she took a nap with it on... did not hear any issues.. Glad you ordered one... I did have some moisture get in the side box when I left it closed for @ 4 weeks... so you will want to check in on items in that space... Pretty sure it was from the top weather stripping. I did put some plastic open grate in the bottom to let air in and keep things off the AL bottom.
Glad to hear from you.... I told the crew at the shop they needed to join OB!!! Maybe chime in on that...
Thanks for sharing your experience. Looking at the photos you sent, it looks like you have the AS-1 Pro. That is exactly the same model we ordered. Hearing about your time with the unit, makes me feel better about our decision to purchase.
In the near future let me know how the A/C worked for you. I too felt that mounting the unit on the driver side was open to being damaged on a trail, not to mention possibly having air drag issues with it on the side. Possible vibration or noise on the road. I can't wait to get our unit and start new adventures on the trail.
As for your crew in the shop. If they like being part of outdoor experiences. They need to join OB to have others like them that love the outdoors and willing to share their successes and failures overlanding.
Again thanks for your input on Antishanty!
Happy Trails!