• HTML tutorial

Darren01

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hope Mills, North Carolina
Member #

Hello all,

So I am currently studying and going to take my Technician license test at the end of January. I recently bought a Kenwood TM-281A HAM radio and am looking for antenna recommendations. I’m really still trying to learn all the ins and outs but Commo has never been my strong suit. But I’d like to get my setup all ready and installed in my rig so when I get my license I can transmit. Thanks I’m advance and apologize if this is another newb question.

Attachments

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Congrats on trying to become a ham! Hope your test goes well.

As for antennas, I've had very good luck with a simple Tram NMO dual band from Amazon.

TRAM 140MHz-170MHz + 430MHz-470MHz Dual Band NMO Antenna

For $13 they are disposable should they be damaged and I've easily worked repeaters over 30 miles away on 5 watts. It's taken a few hits and the local dealership ram it up against the roof lifting my Xterra up last year to work on the radiator. It was bent but I straightened it easily and it still performs great.

I run it on a lip-mount NMO mount on the side of my rear hatch with the coax routed above the headliner. The only issue I've had with that is my daughter closed my 6m antenna in the rear door just as my wife slammed the hatch closed, tearing the antenna off the hatch. I managed to straighten it with a little work in the vice and it's worked fine since as well.

Reactions: Darren01

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

First a great place for info is Eham.net they have antenna reviews. I have 2 Kenwood 281s the one on my truck is a Comet the second radio is set up for portable use with a Diamond magnetic mount for our Subaru Outback and when we go to Colorado and rent Jeep Rubicons. They both recieved high ratings on Eham and work really well. A great place to purchase ham equipment is HRO, great prices and service.
A good web site for what channels offroaders use in different locations is 4X4 ham.com.
Load The Repeater Book app in your phone when you bring it up it will list all the repeaters in the area that you are currently in from the location of your phone.
Eham also has practice exams for your test. What is nice about their practice exams is that it grades you and tells you the correct answers that you got wrong. Took the practice exams over and over for about 2 weeks went in and blew right through the real one. Scored 100%,BOOM!

Last edited:

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Do you have any height restrictions? (home garage, public parking garage, drive through at favorite restaurant?)

If you don't a 5/8 wave on the roof can do quite well. I have had friends talk over 3o miles mobile to mobile both running 5/8 waves on the roof while my 1/2 wave on the fender could not hear or talk to the guy that was 30 miles away.

For a 5/8 wave I would go with the Larsen NMO-150b (150ck if you want chrome) for $29.95 from HRO (https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009817)

I run Browning (same company as Tram) BR-180-b dual band (1/2 wave on 2m) antennas and they have worked well and have taken a beating. A benefit of a 1/2 wave antenna is that it is not ground dependent so it can be mounted roof racks or spare tire carriers and such that may not otherwise provide a good ground plane.
If height clearance is a concern but you still want the antenna on the roof (in line of site communications height is king) the 1/4 wave antenna that @TerryD linked would work well.

Reactions: TerryD and Darren01

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I run a Browning 5/8 and have had no problems.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
There is always the option of carrying two antennas. One for local and convoy use and one of the ones like @Prerunner1982 mentioned for longer distance use should you have the need.

Darren01

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hope Mills, North Carolina
Member #

Do you have any height restrictions? (home garage, public parking garage, drive through at favorite restaurant?)

If you don't a 5/8 wave on the roof can do quite well. I have had friends talk over 3o miles mobile to mobile both running 5/8 waves on the roof while my 1/2 wave on the fender could not hear or talk to the guy that was 30 miles away.

For a 5/8 wave I would go with the Larsen NMO-150b (150ck if you want chrome) for $29.95 from HRO (https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009817)

I run Browning (same company as Tram) BR-180-b dual band (1/2 wave on 2m) antennas and they have worked well and have taken a beating. A benefit of a 1/2 wave antenna is that it is not ground dependent so it can be mounted roof racks or spare tire carriers and such that may not otherwise provide a good ground plane.
If height clearance is a concern but you still want the antenna on the roof (in line of site communications height is king) the 1/4 wave antenna that @TerryD linked would work well.
I don’t have any height restrictions but I really don’t want an overly huge antenna on my rig. I’ll look at that 1/4 wave antenna. Thanks for the recommendations!