Another RTT question - mold/mildew?

• HTML tutorial

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

In an environment where it rains constantly during the winter, how long can an RTT be stored after being put away wet before having to worry about mold or mildew? I know airing out as soon as possible is optimal, but after returning home from a trip, it might be weeks before the weather allows for opening it back up to dry out.

I've read that most quality tents are made with mold resistant fabric, so it seems like in general, they would probably last longer packed up than a typical ground tent would.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

mold will grow on anything it thrives on moisture & dark areas. Sometimes you have to plan your trip on favorable weather conditions. Known you can not or will not have the proper time frame to dry the tent down properly to prevent mold or mildew & you spend that kind of money on a RTT I will not risk it like this guy in the video did.
I live in the south were humidity is in good camping weather as well as rain. That right their is a prefect environment for mold growth for me. We plan our trips around the weather forecast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric Neal

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Mine was wet after a trip and the forecast of rain for the rest of the week. Took mine off the rig and put it on furniture dolly's and rolled it in to garage and opened it up and put 2 fans on it. When the weather cleared I put it back on. The only person put out by this was the wife and her 7 series bmw.

Reactions: Tim N Michele Davis