Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Hello! Today was cleaning up some emails and realized I still had my OB account. Well I logged in and realized I haven't been here since 2017. I started to be a member in 2016 and had a Jeep JKU in Ohio. After selling the Jeep and being very busy with travel for work I lost time to visit the community. Well now I'm out in Colorado and with a new to us 4Runner. Our in-between vehicle was a 2019 Subaru Forester Sport and it met it's limits out here in Colorado a bunch so we are thankful for finding this 4Runner! Feels good to be back again and see the community flourishing! Hope I can find some new wheeling buddies out here in Colorado like I did in Ohio (Who I still keep up with time to time even outside of the forum).

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hello! Today was cleaning up some emails and realized I still had my OB account. Well I logged in and realized I haven't been here since 2017. I started to be a member in 2016 and had a Jeep JKU in Ohio. After selling the Jeep and being very busy with travel for work I lost time to visit the community. Well now I'm out in Colorado and with a new to us 4Runner. Our in-between vehicle was a 2019 Subaru Forester Sport and it met it's limits out here in Colorado a bunch so we are thankful for finding this 4Runner! Feels good to be back again and see the community flourishing! Hope I can find some new wheeling buddies out here in Colorado like I did in Ohio (Who I still keep up with time to time even outside of the forum).
Hi Steve,

Welcome back here!

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

Reactions: scubasteve2002

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Hi Scuba

Could you describe the 2019 Subaru Forester Sport limits as you see them? I'm considering that same car as a possible replacement for my GMC out here in the Northeast and would like to know where it hits the wall.

Thanks

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Hi Scuba

Could you describe the 2019 Subaru Forester Sport limits as you see them? I'm considering that same car as a possible replacement for my GMC out here in the Northeast and would like to know where it hits the wall.

Thanks
Yeah for sure!

I first purchased it in Ohio and it did us very well for those three years. Snow it kicked butt in, rain... no problems, dry... no brainer, dirt and gravel didn't even notice. Maintenance was very easy and intuitive to do yourself and simple to troubleshoot if anything did go wrong. In my total 4 years of ownership and 67,000 miles we never had a hiccup. Biggest maintenance item I did was spark plugs and full fluid flush (excluding the cvt) even did the pcv just as preventative maintenance. Parts are easily accessible through the dealership and they normally do not price gouge and can give you a DIY discount if you ask nicely.

Upgrades/aftermarket options we did to our Forester were:

- K&N filter: just wanted this for ease of maintenance and cleaning instead of having to buy a new one from the dealership.
- Crawford performance ditch light bracket and wiring harness
- GG Lighting Sidewinder pods
- RallyArmor Mudflaps to protect the paint
- Falken Wildpeak AT Trail (designed specifically for crossovers and do not weigh like full sized AT truck tires)
- Rallitek overload springs (Not a lift) to help keep the car from sagging after loading camping gear, yeti, RTT, and dog/passengers
- Roofnest Sparrow XL RTT

We tried to do upgrades as needed. Biggest upgrade that really made the car perform to our liking was the overload springs and the Falken tires. When we did a two week road trip from Ohio to the mighty five in Utah and back to Ohio we noticed people always flashing their lights at us thinking we had our brights on. Well we were sagging in the rear badly. After the spring upgrade the vehicle sat much more flat and didn't get flashed as much for thinking we had the brights on.

Where it shined...

It is light enough that it floats on sand. So when we went to Moab we could get back to a lot of sandy camp spots with plenty of momentum. Between the x-mode, decent driving skill and picking the right line it was a very capable vehicle. Ground clearance was good enough for most of the forest service roads out here in Colorado too. The AWD did really good in snow, small sections of slabby rock, and light mud. Lastly you get decent gas mileage while doing it! (end of a trip we would read out on the monitor around 21-22 mpg)

Where we hit the wall...

Tire size was an issue for most of the trails out here. Pot holes would be larger than the tire so trail speed was super slow. Washboard roads you could never get the right speed to float over the washboard, you just kept falling into the bottom and not hit peak to peak. Also articulation was not really there, very stiff chassis which is great for on road handling and off road so you do not twist up and break the car. But the suspension would not allow for much articulation. Any type of cross articulation ruts and you would get stuck. Any steep climb over a quick crest and you do not hit it straight on then you teetertotter until x-mode kicks in. In order for x-mode to kick in you have to stay on the throttle pretty good and consistently allowing wheel spin. Then the computer figures out how lock the spinning wheels to get you forward. But then the CVT may cut out due to the fact it requires too much torque. So you have to reset your line and try again with more momentum. This is where I was like okay it's time for something bigger and different. I don't mind using momentum at all since it is necessary most of the time. But when you have to carry a considerable speed over obstacles that is when you forget about line and technique and could cause severe damage both physically to the body and mechanically. It was annoying too because you would rut out the trail and cause trail damage which isn't fair for the next person.

Interior storage was good but we would have liked a little more space for long distance comfort. Plus being in Colorado now, people want to come and visit. So hauling them, our original camping gear setup and now theirs we ran out of space quickly. The extra space in the 4Runner was much appreciated.

All the angles (approach, breakover and departure) where half way decent (in the crossover class they were exemplary) and I never scraped, but I also knew my limits and did not push it. I have mechanical sympathy and never wanted to put he vehicle in its maximum limits as this will lower reliability and longevity of our vehicle.

So that is my two cents on the Forester. Great vehicle, perfect for service roads and long road trips! Safety features galore and has just the right amount of aftermarket support to get you a little further than stock. I hope this all helps and if you want any more details on anything specific please let me know!

Michael Golden

Rank VI

Explorer I

Tampa Fl
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Golden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4BCN
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Welcome back to the community.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Hello and welcome back to the OB family.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Welcome to Overland Bound
Three Local Experts in the CO area are @neal A.Tew Pueblo, @Iridium Fort Collins, @trail_runn4r Denver.
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. Rocky Mountain (MT ND SD NE KS CO UT WY)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in our Rocky Mountain Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
OB Members Colorado
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo About MOUNTAIN WEST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Glad you have you back, Steve! We definitely need to meet and go for a trail ride before it starts snowing!

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Welcome to Overland Bound
Three Local Experts in the CO area are @neal A.Tew Pueblo, @Iridium Fort Collins, @trail_runn4r Denver.
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
U.S. Rocky Mountain (MT ND SD NE KS CO UT WY)
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Take a try at adding a track or point of interest to the app.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You are in our Rocky Mountain Region, local information can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
OB Members Colorado
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo About MOUNTAIN WEST — Overland Expo®
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com
Wow! Thank you for the write up on all the stuff available these days. When I first started on this platform in 2016 it was in its infancy. Amazing how far this group has come!

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Glad you have you back, Steve! We definitely need to meet and go for a trail ride before it starts snowing!
Yes we do! My wife and I have two backpacking trips coming up in September, but definitely would like to hit up some trails near the front range and just get a day trip out! But if the stars align a full weekend of fun would be good too.