Rank II

Member I

Cumming, Georgia, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Masschelin
Member #

I think I joined the form about a year or so ago, but I haven’t been very active here. I’ve spent most of my time riding motorcycles, which has taken away from doing any kind of overlanding or off roading in the area. I finally took a big step and have ordered a bed rack and a rooftop tent (not here yet but will hopefully be setup by fall) for my Ram Power Wagon and my wife and I plan to spend some time camping in the area.

I’ve been off-road a couple times in some trails like Charlie’s Creek and some of the trails around Dahlonega but I’m looking forward to getting out and about and spending time in nature more often.

Attachments

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
youre in a great spot...
the wife and i try to hit georgia every year. we generally basecamp at vogel state park (just down from blairsville) and do a week or two hiking and riding around. the wife loves waterfall hikes and georgia has a bunch. there are quite a few around helen and some are on dirt roads, so a great opportunity to get off pavement without hitting anything too harsh. we did a jeep trail outside of dahlonega and it was surprisingly a bit difficult for my tundra...had some fallen trees i barely made it under and some of the turns were too tight for the fullsize truck to take without having to back up and pivot several times.
i havent seen much in the way of boondocking in georgia, but there are primative camping spots on hwy 19 down from vogel...byron reese i think is the name of the place. has a lot of primative camp spots right on a creek with a few good trails right there.

cloudland (half hour south of chatanooga) is also very nice. it has an excellent waterfall and some really good trails right there at the park. five years ago i bought a camp trailer in ohio and my girlfriend went with me up there to get it. instead of coming straight back to louisiana, we decided to go to gatlinberg. while there, we went to a drive thru chapel and got married and honeymooned at cloudland. we try to go there for our anniversary every year and then finish the trip over at vogel, so yeah, georgia is definitely one of our favorite places.

if you ever feel like punishing yourself, go to tallulah gorge state park. that is where they filmed deliverance back in the early 70s and if you do the hike there, its something like over a thousand steps you have to climb. i did it, but i was sore for a while. awesome scenery and well worth the drive there

Last edited: