AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
CB is obsolete; don't waste a dime on it. Transmitting on those frequencies with 5watts AM is next to pointless. The FCC should have shut it down and switched truckers over to UHF years ago, more like what they use in Australia.

For solo vehicle travel in the mountain west, I'd say carry either 409MHz beacon and a HAM radio OR a 2-way satellite messenger of your choice. If in a convoy, someone in the convoy should be thus equipped, but use GMRS for truck-to-truck comms.
Well put. I finally yanked out my CB. A Midland GMRS is going in. I am 90% Ham these days and will use GMRS for the rest. For group trips I might throw my portable CB setup in the back of my FJ but that would really be for others benefit. Folks if you have no radios and need something to start please go with a GMRS to start if you find Ham to expensive (it isn’t) or intimidating (it isn’t). At least you will have a radio with some range and can get some cheap handhelds to use with a spotter.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I like APRS but it is old as mentioned. It is a convenience item (is someone nearby? Maybe I can reach them) and novelty more than anything else.
Totally agree with that; have been taking a new look at APRS for helping with "convoy management". Am really intrigued with the ability to see the location of vehicles/etc. in your group near real-time. Also think transmitting objects to the group has potential - intended camp spot occupied? Send plan-b camping spot object to the group.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Well put. I finally yanked out my CB. A Midland GMRS is going in. I am 90% Ham these days and will use GMRS for the rest. For group trips I might throw my portable CB setup in the back of my FJ but that would really be for others benefit. Folks if you have no radios and need something to start please go with a GMRS to start if you find Ham to expensive (it isn’t) or intimidating (it isn’t). At least you will have a radio with some range and can get some cheap handhelds to use with a spotter.
Which Midland radio catches your fancy? Watched a couple Midland GMRS radio reviews last night and remembered there is a small unoccupied space in the Jeep between my butt and the seat ;)

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Which Midland radio catches your fancy? Watched a couple Midland GMRS radio reviews last night and remembered there is a small unoccupied space in the Jeep between my butt and the seat ;)
This is what I purchased but the one with everything built into the mic is probably fine too.

Mine will be installed between my seats on the back of the transmission hump in my FJ Cruiser.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
This is what I purchased but the one with everything built into the mic is probably fine too.

Mine will be installed between my seats on the back of the transmission hump in my FJ Cruiser.
I thought this one was cute from the reviews last night

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
If you plan on expanding your GMRS use to more than just vehicle to vehicle trail comms (repeaters for exampel) be aware that currently all the MXT radios will NOT do split tones or go wideband. They're all stuck in Narrowband mode.

Reactions: Ubiety and 1Louder

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
If you plan on expanding your GMRS use to more than just vehicle to vehicle trail comms (repeaters for exampel) be aware that currently all the MXT radios will NOT do split tones or go wideband. They're all stuck in Narrowband mode.
I don't plan on doing that but what other radios would you suggest?

Thanks

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I have been getting familiar with the MXT275 I installed in my JK yesterday. It seems to be a very competent radio. We have not "range checked" it yet with Motorola T600s but for sure the communications are clear and carry no static artifacts as the TC button is released. One area that needs some clean up is the way Midland and Motorola chose to number the "unique" codes, these are commonly refereed to as "privacy codes" but they are really "ignore codes" . Anyway there seems to be two types; analog and digital. The first 38 code numbers are the same for both the Motorola and the Midland these are the 38 analog tones. Motorola simply continued numbering the digital codes as; 39, 40, 41 ETC. Midland decided to start the digital codes in their own sequence, hence the first digital code is 1. Every code after 38 must be translated if used on these two radios. If I want to use the first digital code I will set my Motorola T600 to code 39 and my
Midland MXT275 to digital code 1. I really like the Motorola scheme the best because all I would have to remember is that the digital codes start at 39...

JackA

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Orondo, WA, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

The little booklet included with the MXT275 talks about repeaters and the channels associated with them. How do split tones and wideband vs narrowband impact use of repeaters? I am not likely to every use a repeater but would be interested in knowing.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
The little booklet included with the MXT275 talks about repeaters and the channels associated with them. How do split tones and wideband vs narrowband impact use of repeaters? I am not likely to every use a repeater but would be interested in knowing.
I am wondering if a vehicle with a higher powered GMRS repeater/radio placed in the middle of the pack could help out those with weaker radios? Dunno, just a thought.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I don't plan on doing that but what other radios would you suggest?

Thanks
Motorola or Kenwood surplus commercial radios. You can get them for under 100 dollars and they're built like tanks. Downside is they aren't turnkey. They'll require programming. Many of the sellers on EBAY will program them for you when you order them or you can order up the cables and find the software needed to program them.

You won't be able to access a split tone repeater without the ability to do split tones. Not a deal if you don't plan on accessing repeaters and not all of them are programed with split tones.

The bandwidth issue may cause some interchangeability issues with other radios or repeater issues. Example if you are talking to me with a midland your radio would be set to narrowband and mine to wideband. Best case you come though somewhat muted to me and I come though extra loud on your end. Worst case I hear a bunch of noise (extra static) coming though with your signal. Not a huge deal again but something to be aware of.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I am wondering if a vehicle with a higher powered GMRS repeater/radio placed in the middle of the pack could help out those with weaker radios? Dunno, just a thought.
Not really practicable with the equipment required to setup a repeater. You could get a radios that do crossbanding but that's beyond the scope of GMRS operations.

bendts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A Pasture in Wisconsin
First Name
Bendt
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0WTR

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
I will likely go with this antenna. Based on some of the reviews it seems to have adequate SWR on GMRS frequencies as well.
View attachment 143907
I looked at that one but wasn't sure what the best mount would be for it. I will probably use a mag mount. I could use my old CB bracket on the back door of my FJ but that also defeats the purpose of having an antenna as high as possible.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

It's a 1/2 wave on UHF so it's not ground dependent and I just put a roof rack on the Jeep with a great place right on the back to mount a simple L bracket.
It will be between my 5/8 wave 2m antenna and my HF antenna so we will see if I get any interference as noted in another GMRS thread recently.

Reactions: 1Louder and TerryD