Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

I keep thinking an analog compass on the dash would be a nice thing to have. Something a little more than the window mount thing my grandfather had in his old Buick. The big steel box it would be mounted in would cause some issues I would think.
I am not sure what would work, if anything, but am looking for a discussion around weather I am just looking for a decoration on the dash.
I already carry and use maps and compass for route planning and navigation.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
How about one from an old airplane or a horizon indicator for roll and pitch when your in the hills.

Reactions: JimInBC

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
I can't remember the name of the company but they specialized in parting out older planes and selling the parts. I think they were in Arizona.

Reactions: JimInBC

jimi breeze

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Whichever type of magnetic compass you get, it will need to be corrected for deviation (metallic influence of your rig). Calibrating is done using two adjustment screws while you drive in a large open field. It is a bit of a task but is will get you close.
You could try some type of electronic compass. Much simpler to adjust.

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

I had thought about airplane ones in the past and just kind of like the analog aesthetic. How do the electronic compasses work?

Whichever type of magnetic compass you get, it will need to be corrected for deviation (metallic influence of your rig). Calibrating is done using two adjustment screws while you drive in a large open field. It is a bit of a task but is will get you close.
You could try some type of electronic compass. Much simpler to adjust.