Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

I'm generally don't like pulling behind anything as much as possible to solve it without. Yes not allRTT equal some worse some good and some cost like trailer but very good, as it has hard shell all around
To me if you are buying trailer which is about same as Alu Cab Kayha. I like trailer or tear drop for the amazing kitchen .
As long I traveled with family I would say comfy and fast set up for sleeping and kitchen . The kitchen is pain on ass as you can cook eat and clean and it's hard accommodate with small trucks .

Newlife

Rank I

Traveler I

3560 Wexgate Road, Knoxville, Tennessee 37931, United States
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Bodkins
Member #

Good video. He nails a lot of the pros and cons of a RTT. Just like @Highplainsdrifter I like the "treehouse" idea of them but my Kelty weighs about 4 pounds and takes up very little space when packed. I see a lot of people complaining about sleeping on the ground, but I did not find a RTT any better when I tried it. Padding is the issue there, not the ground.

For me, they are just too bulky and cumbersome but if you like them, cheers. Nothing wrong with them at all, they just aren't for me.
We were in the same boat uncomfortable, bulky etc. So we switched to a gazelle. That in itself brought along its own issues and finally decided one last time to give rtt’s one last hoorah and couldn’t have been happier with our selection. Our old rtt was a cvt soft shell and we slept in it 2 nights before selling it at a very steep discounted rate. Our new free spirit odyssey is a total game changer for us. We’ve logged about 15 nights so far and have never slept so good camping. Maybe try a different brand or style before you completely rule them out.

Reactions: J.W. and Road

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
Now that my son will be going away to college soon, I was discussing with my wife my solo travel plans and amazingly she said she'd consider (This is a GIANT leap forward for her) doing some of my adventures with me. This could sway me from my Gazelle to a RTT if that's what it takes to get her to go. The only other thing she wanted was a hot shower and there are plenty of options for that. I convinced her to go out with me when it warms up in the spring. Fingers crossed she gets addicted too.

We use a tent. We explore the roads during the day and don't want to pack up camp when we leave. However we also camp where most people will not venture out to due to the rough roads so security of our camp has not been an issue. Post covid with all the increased activity is also becoming a concern, it is getting harder to find isolated places. Might have to start taking camp with us...bummer.

Elk hunting.jpg

w0lfpack91

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Yavapai County, Arizona, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7QHJ
If I'm going to pull a trailer, why use a crappy (IMO) RT tent? I'd prefer a tear drop or square drop or other small, enclosed trailer.
Not everyone has $40,000 to throw at a dedicated trailer. Besides I’ve yet to see a teardrop that can accommodate a full-size Fourwheeler(ATV/Quad) in the storage cabinet. Lol.

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
Not everyone has $40,000 to throw at a dedicated trailer. Besides I’ve yet to see a teardrop that can accommodate a full-size Fourwheeler(ATV/Quad) in the storage cabinet. Lol.
My square drop cost less than the quad, which I'm not the least bit interested in. In fact, it cost considerably less than $10K. But, all this BS is why Baskin-Robbins has 39 flavors.
VRV July 2021 (4).JPG
T4R and VRV (3).jpg

Reactions: Tundracamper

w0lfpack91

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Yavapai County, Arizona, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7QHJ
My square drop cost less than the quad, which I'm not the least bit interested in. In fact, it cost considerably less than $10K. But, all this BS is why Baskin-Robbins has 39 flavors.
View attachment 214773
View attachment 214774
Somehow I doubt that cost less than $800(the price of said quad) but to get back on topic most people making arguments against RTT are not suggesting moving to a teardrop, they suggest moving to a ground tent setup because they are looking in the same price category not several thousand dollars more.

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
Well, since you've been deputized to speak for everyone else, you win.

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
At 63 years old/young, I used a RTT mounted on a half rack for the first time this year, 2 nights in Moab and 11 nights on the trail or traveling, I am loving it. I have slept on the ground, air mattress and cots, in a small 4 person tent that fit 2 people to a Kodiak 8 person tent, each have there +/-. My favorite was the Kodiak, it was easy to get in and out of and lots of room for cots, but it needs to be staked out and that is not always possible and its very heavy. So far with the RTT, I was able to set up every night with some help from rocks under the tire(s). With the others, I had problems with mud, rocks, not being able to stake in or unleveled ground. The mattress has been very comfortable and a great nights sleep. As for the ladder, I find it easier then having to climb out bent over or on my knees.

A couple of nights on our last trip, the 2 guys using tents, needed everyones help to put up and take down because of the wind, mine open and closed without a problem. I have a clam shell TuffStuff Alpha ll, that I think I got for a great price with an Annex and canopy, early Covid and I had to wait 4 months. I do have a problem that TuffStuff is working with me to fix, but I would get one again.

Reactions: MSD

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

I know this thread is about RRTs. But it comes down to what each individual needs based on what they do. Some need trailers, RRTs, small off road trailer or whatever… at the end of the day your set up should meet the needs of 80% of what you do… at least in my book.

Which is the beauty of this group, people can help each other with there due diligence so they can make the proper decisions in how they set up their rigs. Or rig accessories.

I don’t believe there is a right or wrong way. Or you should have this or that because it comes down to what works best for the individual.

Reactions: kwill

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
If I'm going to pull a trailer, why use a crappy (IMO) RT tent? I'd prefer a tear drop or square drop or other small, enclosed trailer.
Hmmm, the trailer I’ll have when we are done remote camping will be a 12-16 footer costing in the 35,000 dollar range. Our current set up, including high end RTT has roughy 6-7,000 total wrapped up in it, built over a 10 year period .

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Jk.Overland

Rank III

Pathfinder III

Pearl, Mississippi, United States
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hennessy
Member #

While I own two roof top tents, and like them and also hate them, this video on why ground tents are better is spot on. But you have to realize that Harry is single, and mostly travels either alone or with his girlfriend. Travleing with a family of 4 presents different challenges that a RTT kinda helps with, but also kinda doesn't.

-M
I don't plan to buy a RTT purely out of cost. I have many ground tents, space is limited inside my jeep so I need roof space for storage so it just makes send to not have an RTT.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I just camped out at a Scuba diving site. The trailer area was a bit crowded. My ground tent allowed me to park anywhere, and still camp where I wanted. (With a brand new aluminum truck, this is priceless)

If I get cold feet and dont buy a slide in camper, I might get a Bundutec RTT. But I'm doing OK with a ground tent.