Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Last month I was at an event with my friends and one of the guys brought an ammo can fire pit. It was a bit of a hit and someone was going to be selling them at the event. We go talk to this vender and UGH. Needless to say no-one bought one. Back at camp some of the guys wanted to build their own. I have a couple of 50 Cal ammo cans laying around and enough fittings so, I made one and decided to post it in case some else was thinking of it.
Fortunately I went through my "Propane Fire Pit" learning curve a few months ago so this was going to be easy.
On this build there are a few diffrent ways to do it. Mine uses parts that can be left out if wanted. I'll go over the variations in the build.

One thing I want to point out is, almost every DIY style propane fire pit, has a sooty smoke coming off the flames. This is because propane needs quite a bit of air mixed in or it wont burn clean. These air mixers are found on stoves and lanterns. I have one on my fire pit and my ammo can fire pit.
On the size of pipe, I chose 1/2 inch because I had some laying around. You can go 3/8 if you want, but I think 1/2 inch is as big as you want
Part list
6" black gas pipe (1/2)
8" black gas pipe(1/2)
2- 90's. black gas pipe (1/2)
1 end cap. black gas pipe (1/2)
1 thread black gas pipe (1/2) this connects the 90's.
Air mixer (optional)
Bulkhead fitting (optional) Theres diffrent ways to do this. I chose these. Their designed for aquariums, don't use the rubber washers.
Reducer. (I had this already. The link is if you want to run a 1/4 npt fitting like I did)
Regulated hose. If you choose the correct hose, you don't need the adapter below.
Flair adapter. I already had one of these. the hose I got didnt have an NPT on the end. this is why I needed it.
50 Cal Ammo Can. No link, if you buy a plastic one, I want to see the video when you test it.
Stainless mesh screen. Home depo. vent screen.
Lava rock (optional)

Here is it layed out. The holes are 1/8 inch. You see at one end I welded a brace. I didn't like leaving the end unsupported. You could do this with a single pipe if instead of a "U" like I did if you wanted. You notice the holes are not very straight. I drilled some at an angle but it didn't make any real difference. At the bottom you see some air holes. I did this without air holes because I've seen videos where people don't put in holes. In the pictures below, you will see the difference.

inside.JPG

Pic of my quick release fitting. Standard air fitting

inlet.JPG

Here it is with the screen

screen.JPG

2 inch of lava rock. I have a ton left over BTW

rocks.JPG

So now we hook it up and add fire. This is turned down with a breeze pushing the fire. It was a bit bright out so it was hard to get a good picture. The flame completely filled the box and will go about a foot higher if I turned it up.
even.JPG

The next pictures are with no breather holes and one with no regulator. I didn't get a pic without the air mixer. So no soot pic.

uneven.JPG

Here you see the fire on one side. It would jump back and forth rarely filling the box. Needs a bit more air.
This next one is unregulated with my tank valve barely open.

unregulated.jpg

This was as low as I could get it. Opening the valve farther got it to jump to about 6 foot. Your call on that one.

Final thoughts
These work well if you only have a couple of people. We had one under a 270 degree awning with the walls on. Keeping the flame at minimum kept it nice and toasty in there with 30 degree outside. If you did one tube and not the U shape I did, you would drop the amount of propane. less holes will do the same. I strongly recommend an air mixer.
The lava rocks stay hot for about an hour also.

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Out here were starting to see more and more wood fire restrictions. This is making everyone go propane. I still prefer my wood fires.

Reactions: reaver

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Thanks for the inspiration.

Had some time on my hands and it’s still in process as I’m waiting on Amazon items to come. Using a 3/8” soft copper tube for my burner with an air mixer. I made a mistake in my initial cut for the recessed gas connection so I made the flame design to cover it up. Haha

60456C6F-5218-49ED-AF7F-0CD47FAE512E.jpeg77693A7A-D092-4982-B0A4-80DBB6753237.jpegDCBDCA79-C457-4B89-B5A9-6004B833223C.jpeg

Reactions: Rav4_Overland

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I like the recess idea. I'm not going to say mine sticking out is an issue< I just dont like it. My ammo cans were for tools and junk in my old jeeps. I loved the way they fit. The quick release killed that. I especially like the "OOPS" cover.

Reactions: PapaDave

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Out here were starting to see more and more wood fire restrictions. This is making everyone go propane. I still prefer my wood fires.
We see some in late summer usually. We tend to use them during those times as well, but I'm with you. I prefer my old school.fores as well.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Had some time on my hands and it’s still in process as I’m waiting on Amazon items to come. Using a 3/8” soft copper tube for my burner with an air mixer. I made a mistake in my initial cut for the recessed gas connection so I made the flame design to cover it up. Haha

View attachment 259482View attachment 259483View attachment 259484
These are great man! I'm assuming they're not to complex to build either. I'm not sure that I'd want to build something that burns flammable gas. Too scary for me, I think.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
We see some in late summer usually. We tend to use them during those times as well, but I'm with you. I prefer my old school.fores as well.

These are great man! I'm assuming they're not to complex to build either. I'm not sure that I'd want to build something that burns flammable gas. Too scary for me, I think.
They aren’t too hard to build. I painted my top silver as it was looking like a pumpkin!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Here's what mine looks like after a bit of use. The fire didn't disturb the paint. The missing paint and light rust are from abrasion over the course of a couple of decades. The can was originally used to store my air compressor. It would be taken out, dragged by the hose and tied back down.

I was hoping the fire would strip the paint.

can.jpg

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
They aren’t too hard to build. I painted my top silver as it was looking like a pumpkin!
How's your paint holding up?
I'm tired of mine looking worn out. See above.
Also, any issues with the flames coming out of the screen on the side?

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
How's your paint holding up?
I'm tired of mine looking worn out. See above.
Also, any issues with the flames coming out of the screen on the side?
Paint has done ok and no issue with flames out the side as the holes are directed up. It’s get lots of air coming up and gives me a little more to look at

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Sounds good. I was considering cutting a pattern in the side and screening it. I was also hoping the fire would have taken the paint off. I wanted to use it for a while before I did any other mods to it.

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

I’m thinking of making one but I’m concerned about the paint burning off and creating nasty fumes. Did anyone have issues with that?
I just finished mine yesterday and was afraid of this as well. Ended up stripping the original paint off. The original paint seems to be powder coat. I used a MAP torch to basically burn it off. Paint bubbles up and turns to powder. Takes about 5 minutes. Did it outside and with painting mask on. Easily scrapped off and then sandpaper by hand. Took about 90% off. Then painted inside and outside with Rustoleum high heat paint. I didn’t strip lid as not needed but I did paint outside of my lid with high heat paint for cosmetics as it had been spray painted partially orange.
IMG_7120.jpeg