Alternative to Gobi Racks

• HTML tutorial

DRHDVM

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have finally given up on Gobi Racks to get me the ladder I ordered back in May. Their customer service has been abysmal as they continue to be unapologetic and have tried to blame me for the delays. I have a 2015 4-Runner TRD Pro and was looking to check out the quality of the rear hatch ladder before getting other add-ons like a full roof rack. What other companies are better? Thanks.

Reactions: Stickman

Jimmy Schantz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

I have finally given up on Gobi Racks to get me the ladder I ordered back in May. Their customer service has been abysmal as they continue to be unapologetic and have tried to blame me for the delays. I have a 2015 4-Runner TRD Pro and was looking to check out the quality of the rear hatch ladder before getting other add-ons like a full roof rack. What other companies are better? Thanks.
Let me know what you get for a roof rack

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Look into this...found on YouTube

Reactions: DRHDVM

sellsn01

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Edison, ohio
Member #

Gobi is going to put themselves out. All I hear is complaints about them. They must not like being in business.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

On my 2014 FJ I went with the Rhino Backbone, and Pioneer Platform. It has been great, It hauls all kinds of stuff, makes an excellent shooting/photography platform, and is MUCH more versatile than the stock rack I removed.

tritonl

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Lukasz
Last Name
Mikula
Member #

On my 2014 FJ I went with the Rhino Backbone, and Pioneer Platform. It has been great, It hauls all kinds of stuff, makes an excellent shooting/photography platform, and is MUCH more versatile than the stock rack I removed.
Am saving up for one now, what size platform did you go with. Can you share a photo to have a idea what it looks like with that specific size.

varano14

Rank 0

Traveler I

Gobi is going to put themselves out. All I hear is complaints about them. They must not like being in business.
The only complaints I have read are from people who don’t have them yet. I’ve read few complaints from owners outside of wind noise which applies equally to all these racks. I’m not saying the waiting isn’t absurd but I don’t see their sales going anywhere but up.

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
I agree with all of the above comments. I attempted to order a Gobi Rack in May. I left messages and emails without response. At the same time I began searching for used gear on CL. I found on older model Gobi rack and ladder.

I am extremely satisfied with the design, quality, and it's capabilities. The ladder is perfect. When they are mounted, they are solid and strong. The "no drill" design is superior.

Now back to their customer service. In May, I needed a replacement part (metal strip with 3M adhesive backing) used to protect ladder body mount location, so I could install the used ladder. Again they (Gobi) failed to respond to my calls or emails / tech support requests.

I also purchased a set of ax / ladder mounts. I forgot the keys during the purchase. The seller attempted to mail them to me, but the envelope broke and the keys were lost in the mail. All I received was an empty envelope. Again, I emailed and called without response.

Last week (before Labor Day) after running Mosquito Pass I decided to stop by the Gobi Factory in Aurora. The front office was not staffed. I rang a the bell at the desk and a young woman appeared. I inquired about keys for my specific locks by lock number. She returned a few moments later with a new set of keys and two new Gobi stickers (old & new styles). I forgot to ask about ladder mounting strip as I had already fabricated my own. She was very helpful and did not charge me.

I did take the opportunity to complain about their customer service and turn fabrication around times. She shared that they were simply inundated with orders and were unable to deal with the shear volume of calls, requests, and emails, so it hey stopped responding. It was obvious that they are tremendously understaffed in marketing, management, administration, and fabricators. She scoffed at the idea of increasing the size of their operation. I think they are missing the mark here. Sad.

When I got home I had a package on my porch from Gobi. It was the metal strip for the ladder I had inquired about back in May. Without following up with me they simply mailed the part without letter or invoice. Glad to have it, but just another example.

I still love the rack! Glad I did not settle on another rack.

sellsn01

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Edison, ohio
Member #

I ordered my Gobi Rack a couple months ago without a problem. Called up once to make a change, no problem - Alex answers most every time and is always helpful. Suppose to ship soon but nothing but good customer service so far.View attachment 68612
That’s good news, I have a 4runner and think they look great on them. Hopefully they are getting better.

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Like others, I really do like the look of the Gobi racks. I'm not the type though to send someone so much money and then wait for so long without communications. If they ever get their operation to a point where the function like any average business then maybe I'll entertain getting one.

ben

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I second front runner , customer service is outstanding and all there products are top notch quality. I have had zero issues with the products. Even after drilling 16 , 7/8" holes in my hardtops zero leaks.
Nice products but I just couldn't bring myself to drill that many large holes into my hardtop. Good to hear you aren't having issues. I sold off my Gobi, too heavy and the wind resistance is noticable/drop in mpg of 1.5. I think I'm going to go Rhino Rack Backbone with the platform rack and then the Frontrunner quick release RTT mounts.

Reactions: cody_roberts