Almost Classic Nissan Build

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
I picked up a new rig a couple months ago. It is a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder SEV6 was a one owner garage kept truck from BC. I have always like Nissan vehicles and when I saw this sitting out for sale just a few km's from my home I had to stop in to have a look. I told my wife that I was going to go have a look but expected it to be all rusty and in poor condition. I was very wrong and excited about the condition it was in. I am planning to build it into our family adventure vehicle. Will be used for camping trips, light off-road adventures and going to get ice cream or trips to the cottage or camp. I have already done a few things to upgrade it. First thing was to check fluids and drive it a bit once the salt was off our roads. It sure isn't fast but works well. Then I installed some 16" Nissan wheels off a newer pathfinder so I could install a set of tires I already had. LT265/75/16 DC Trail Country. I sandblasted and painted the wheels before mounting the tires. I may get some 15" tires also so I can run the factory wheels. I also welded up some aluminum I had to build a roof rack system to sit on the factory rails & crossbars. I have ordered some OME rear coils to hold the load better. I was surprised at how well the factory original shocks still work. It has the electronic adjustable shocks and they still work when you select the sport mode. I also have some manual locking hubs on order. Timing belt will be replaced along with the water pump. It has 170,000kms and doesn't look to have been replaced although it has been well maintained. Here are a few pictures of it.

Attachments

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
My SEV6 came with a factory LSD in the rear (still feels strong) 31/10.5/15 tires which was rare back in early 90's, heated leather seats, sunroof and many other nice options. I really like the rear tire mount and factory roof rails & crossbars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Graeman

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
Did some work on my Pathfinder this weekend, Timing belt, water pump, thermostat, fuel filter, new belts and Cleaned up some things. Also received a new set of manual locking hubs in the mail on Friday. Will install them sometime this week. Hopefully my new rear springs will arrive this week. I can't wait to take it out exploring.

Attachments

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Those are cool. The 90's was the true golden age for SUV's. I wish they'd make them like that still. Not a whole lot different from the current 4runner. Nissan really took a dump over the years. I vote to put the stock wheels back on it, those are awesome looking.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
Those are cool. The 90's was the true golden age for SUV's. I wish they'd make them like that still. Not a whole lot different from the current 4runner. Nissan really took a dump over the years. I vote to put the stock wheels back on it, those are awesome looking.
I also like the stock Lego I think they call them wheels. If I didn't already have the 16" tires I would have kept them on it. I may get some M/T 32/11.5/15 to put on the stock wheels.

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
other things I like about these older vehicles it the simplicity, serviceability, small size with large windows. Of coarse it has its draw backs also. Parts, low on power, not as safe. I live just outside a small town and I just could not bring myself to be one of the other hundreds driving a Jeep Wrangler or a Tacoma. Although I like both of these vehicles. If it was also a daily driver I would not bother with an older oddball build.

Reactions: EXPO_D1 and Kilo_17

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

Nice! Looks great. I used to have an old Isuzu Rodeo that was a 90's model that looked really similar.

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
I got some more work done on my WD21. I can't wait to get driving it, maybe this weekend if I find a couple more hours to finish a few more things.
This week I installed the new rear springs, I replaced the muffler / tailpipe assembly with a Bosal kit I found through Amazon. It was so cheap, got to love new old stock prices. $95 Canadian and only $36 shipping. It fit perfect and sounds good.
I also removed some of the peeling stripes, polished up the paint, touched up a few small chips and minor rust spots, added some new vinyl stripes. It is looking pretty good. The front end is sitting a bit low but I found a used set of upper control arms that are good for a 2" lift. Hopefully I will get them installed next week. Oh I also added a tranny cooler and bypassed the one in the radiator. I will add some pics this weekend.

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
I did a few more upgrades to the Pathfinder over the last week. Installed the aftermarket upper control arms and adjusted the torsion bars to level out the height. Then had a wheel alignment done. I installed a new Kenwood stereo that has Apple car play and Android auto. This involved bypassing the factory amps. I also put new speakers in the truck. The ride is a bit firm now with the new rear springs and the front torsion bars slightly cranked up but still smoother than most Jeeps I have driven. It handles fairly well for a old truck. I am thinking about adding some wheel spacers to give it a bit wider track width. Mostly to help with stability but also it would look a bit better. Hopefully I will get it out on a few more adventures soon. Mostly going to be shorter trips for a while to make sure it is nice and reliable. Although it did drive across Canada just last August.

Attachments

Kilo_17

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
First Name
Miles
Last Name
Bergevin
Member #

Such a great find! Love me some "old" Japanese rigs, so many of them still running strong and extremely capable of adventures.

Alot of the new rigs now a days have alot of bling and technology that is useful. But you can't replace the experience of building driver control over the vehicle with the basic rugged rigs of yesteryear.

I love our 5th gen 4runner we drive but with all the tech and safety nanny features I get frustrated at it when I need it to cut loose and send it.

That's why I have a 1.5gen Xterra 5spd V6 that rips it up, despite being underpowered and "old" :grin:

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
You do get a different feeling and appreciation for an older vehicle as long as it is in good working condition and looks half decent. It is definetly low on power compared to modern vehicles. I would never plan to daily drive something like this rig but I will drive it at least once per week when our roads are not covered in salt.

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
I have my pathfinder back in my garage. I am doing a brake job, cv boot replacement, and I am putting the factory wheels back on with some new 32/11.5/15 Falken tires. I painted the wheels and hope to mount them soon.

Attachments

• Love

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
I have my rear brakes installed, tires mounted, installed a second factory tow hook, and made and installed a skid plate to protect oil and tranny pans. I have some power stop front brakes on order I hope they arrive soon so I can take it out again.

Attachments

Enthusiast III

Nova Scotia
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Upham
Powerstop brake kit arrived this morning! I installed them tonight which includes repacking the front bearings. Job went nice and smooth. Just need to do the brake in procedure tomorrow.

We are packing up for a camping trip on Friday with a fairly long drive. Should be fun as long as everthing keeps running properly.

I rebuilt / cleaned my starter last weekend also. It stuck on me twice and was not reliable. Was filled with gunk from a leaking oil filter years ago.

Attachments