jljillson

Rank 0

Contributor II

Connecticut, USA
First Name
joshua
Last Name
jillson
Hi all i am interested in doing this trail next year and im new to overlanding how would i go about marking out the trail with what little info i have. Apps or map recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Krusty

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Richmond, Virginia, USA
First Name
brian
Last Name
columbo
Member #

A lot of guys use GIAA or ONX, both I believe are subscription based apps. I use the internet and paper maps (always good to have a backup plan) to enter coordinates into my GPS (not on board)

Roofus

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Swamp
First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Roofus
Hi all i am interested in doing this trail next year and im new to overlanding how would i go about marking out the trail with what little info i have. Apps or map recommendations would be greatly appreciated
I created my OnX map off someone else's Gaia map. You can see my OnX map here: onX Offroad
That file/map can't be modified. But you can get a free or paid OnX map and then trace over my map and customize it like you want. I've got some sightseeing and food spots highlighted, and a couple camping options for each leg of the trip. I will say, prior to reaching the Canaan Loop off-road section we ran into a road block north of the closest town (can't recall the name). That section of road is now gated and you'll need to find an alternative route.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

I extensively use the forest service interactive map in addition to Gaia when planning my trips. Zoom in, click on a feature (road, campground, etc) and a window will pop up with more info.

CLARO86

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Central PA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
LaRoche
Service Branch
USN vet
Rode up through dry fork crossing on my way home from my Smoky mountain trip. River was really low so crossing was no issue at all. I camped at the large spot right at the crossing this time, had great time!20240625_140917.jpg20240625_133507.jpg20240625_155301.jpg

Reactions: Roofus