Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ste Anne, Manitoba, Canada
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Denault
Member #

I have an iPad that I would like turn into my main device for back country land travel and water navigation.
I will be adding a Bad Elf GPS or other receiver to it. Mobile reception is poor at best in my area (Eastern Manitoba and Northwest Ontario).

Is there any software available that would give me the ability to travel anywhere on land and also give me depth charts when on the water. I like to get back in there by back country roads or trails and then go further by water.
Last fall I picked up a 16' freight/cargo canoe for expedition water travel.
We have millions of acres of wilderness, trails and water routes but I often travel alone so need good navigation.
Plus I want to mark travel routes, fishing spots and where I find mushrooms.
thanks for any input or suggestions.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
That depends on whether nautical “base” charts with depths are available for the waters that you will be on. As far as nautical electronic charting goes, check out Coastal Explorer, it’s an extremely full featured nautical charting app for the PC, RosePoint currently has CE for iPad in beta. CE works with mainland topos and sat maps as well. You can download a fully functional time limited copy of CE for the PC for free to play with. Would suggest watching YouTube vids on it first because it is deep and has a lot to offer.

CE uses both NOAA and Canadian Govt charts (at least) for depths, etc. My guess is that there are not going to be great base chart options for a lot of interior remote waterways. Have you attempted to see if there is a govt or private entities who have charted these waterways and have base charts available for your areas of interest? Maybe contact RosePoint support if this looks like an option to see if they can illuminate, they are awesome!

Feel free to direct message me with a lot/Lon or two of interest and I can take a look in CE for you. I have never loaded CA charts outside of BC saltwater areas but may see something interesting.

steveca4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Steven
Last Name
Denault
Member #

That depends on whether nautical “base” charts with depths are available for the waters that you will be on. As far as nautical electronic charting goes, check out Coastal Explorer, it’s an extremely full featured nautical charting app for the PC, RosePoint currently has CE for iPad in beta. CE works with mainland topos and sat maps as well. You can download a fully functional time limited copy of CE for the PC for free to play with. Would suggest watching YouTube vids on it first because it is deep and has a lot to offer.

CE uses both NOAA and Canadian Govt charts (at least) for depths, etc. My guess is that there are not going to be great base chart options for a lot of interior remote waterways. Have you attempted to see if there is a govt or private entities who have charted these waterways and have base charts available for your areas of interest? Maybe contact RosePoint support if this looks like an option to see if they can illuminate, they are awesome!

Feel free to direct message me with a lot/Lon or two of interest and I can take a look in CE for you. I have never loaded CA charts outside of BC saltwater areas but may see something interesting.
Thanks Greg. Yes I suspect you are right, there won't likely be a lot of carts for the inland waterways I'd be traveling. Near me are the English River, Winnipeg River and other small lakes in Northeastern Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario, most likely aren't charted. Maybe I'm better off with Navionics as its mostly for fishing that I wanted the water depths. I am trying to utilize my iPad as it gives me a bigger, easier to see screen. I want to be able to know where I am regardless of mobile tower service, so adding the GPS receiver seems like the answer if I use the iPad.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Pretty sure Navionics base charts are available in CE; may be an additional cost. CE allows you to get at many free and pay for charts, not sure where Navionics fits in as I don’t use their charts.

Updated my iPad about a year ago and made sure to get cellular version because it has a GPS. Don’t use cell plan with it but absolutely love it for overlanding!

steveca4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Steven
Last Name
Denault
Member #

Pretty sure Navionics base charts are available in CE; may be an additional cost. CE allows you to get at many free and pay for charts, not sure where Navionics fits in as I don’t use their charts.

Updated my iPad about a year ago and made sure to get cellular version because it has a GPS. Don’t use cell plan with it but absolutely love it for overlanding!
Ok thanks, I'll check with CE to see if Navionics is available. So you say that CE is also great for overland travel too? Meaning it shows back roads and trails?

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
It is very marine themed. Not sure when the beam dimension, mast height or MMSI of your overlander will become important but who knows. ;) What I do know is it is my favorite nav software and can load topos and sat maps. Having it on the iPad is a game changer.

Right now it is in beta and features are coming online. Take a look at the vids and maybe free trial to see if it interests you. Support crew are top notch and could answer questions.

steveca4

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
Steven
Last Name
Denault
Member #

It is very marine themed. Not sure when the beam dimension, mast height or MMSI of your overlander will become important but who knows. ;) What I do know is it is my favorite nav software and can load topos and sat maps. Having it on the iPad is a game changer.

Right now it is in beta and features are coming online. Take a look at the vids and maybe free trial to see if it interests you. Support crew are top notch and could answer questions.
Ok, will do, thanks again.

Reactions: Ubiety