"All in one" comms solutions and recommendations.

• HTML tutorial

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

Hoping for some good insight from fellow members on vehicle comms. I plan to obtain my HAM certification in the very near future and have started the search for the equipment for my rig. I would like to stay with an "all in one" type set-up to hard mount in my truck. Remote head unit style radios would be preferred. I have looked at the Kenwwod and Yaesu lines and have seen several I like but being new to these style of radios I am a bit lost and overwhelmed when looking. What are fellow OB members running or what are your recommendations and what should I stay away from? I have also considered the option of running dual radios if needed to be able to communicate across the various options. Please share your knowledge and experience with a radio newbie!

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

What are looking for when you say "all in one"?
I was originally looking for a UHF/VHF/HF/CB unit. The more I study and read through the forums I am thinking its going to be at least a standalone CB and separate UHF/VHF/HF unit. So I guess now I am looking for recommendations for a good HAM unit and what others experience is with the units they have chosen or previously run.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

The Icom IC-7100 is nice, I like the display of it better than the FT-857D but the control head for the IC-7100 seems more of a desk top design than mobile. Though Icom is offering a $200 mail in rebate right now making the 7100 $81 cheaper than the 857.
If you don't mind used the Icom 706mkIIG is a pretty popular radio as well.

With a HF/VHF/UHF radio you can only use/monitor one band at a time , I prefer to be able to monitor local even while I am working HF. It's all just personal preference and one at a time may fit your bill just fine. I run a Kenwood TS-480sat (HF+6M) and I like it. The radio body is larger than most (due to the internal antenna tuner) as is the control head but it isn't as menu driven which makes it easier to operate for me. I use a Yaesu FT-8800r (Discontinued) for VHF/UHF.

Though illegal, you can modify an HF radio to work on CB.

Last edited:
Reactions: crit_pw and Stone74

Stone74

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Little Rock, AR
Member #

For my comms setup I have a Cobra 19 ultra (Christmas gift), Midland 75-822 handheld CB, and a Kenwood TM-D710G for amateur radio.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Reactions: crit_pw