Rank I

Enthusiast I

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
Wyatt
Last Name
Grohler
Member #

IMG_4181.JPGPlanning a trip to Kalispell, Montana from Alamogordo, New Mexico some time around July. We’re taking a gen 3 Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, and a Jeep TJ. We’ve already got mt. Rushmore and the devils tower planned as well as glacier, Yellowstone, and possibly grand Teton nation parks and Moab on the way back. Any places to eat/visit on the way?

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Wyatt Grohler
View attachment 86786Planning a trip to Kalispell, Montana from Alamogordo, New Mexico some time around July. We’re taking a gen 3 Tacoma, FJ Cruiser, and a Jeep TJ. We’ve already got mt. Rushmore and the devils tower planned as well as glacier, Yellowstone, and possibly grand Teton nation parks and Moab on the way back. Any places to eat/visit on the way?
I'd consider adding one or more of the following as time permits:
  • Great Sand Dunes NP - No wheeling on the dunes but still an awesome place. Come in from the West and take Medano Pass trail out to the Front Range ( https://funtreks.com/off-road-trails/medano-pass/ )
  • Rocky Mtn. NP - take Old Fall River Rd up to the top from Estes Park. Look for Moose in any willows on the W. side of the park.
    Estes Side Eats: The Sundeck (if still open, Heard it was up for sale last year), Dunraven, or Baldpate Inn are some of my favorites
    Grand Lake Side: Pancho & Lefty's, or Cy's Deli
  • If you happen to drive through Grandby Co. Drive By Pie, Don't let looks fool you GREAT Homemade Pies!
  • North Sand Hills Recreation Management Area - If you want to ride on some Dunes (I think they are still open to Vehicles) Good place to hit mid-week. Camp nearby at Big Creek Lakes or boondock in any of the NF land around.
    In Walden: Moose Creek Cafe
  • Lots of camping and Boondocking spots in the Snowy Mtn Range of Wy.
    If you pass through Centennial, Wy stop for some seriously good chow at Antlers
  • Ouray Co (Pick a trail and have some fun! ) - Eat at either Red Mtn. Brewery or Beaumont cafe
  • Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP - Famous views are from the S. Rim better camping is on the N. Rim Campground.
  • If you're still up for some hiking and really cool landscapes, spend some time in the Bisti Badlands

For other sites recommendations further north see also:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/help-western-us-roadtrip.6460/#post-100279
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/co-wy-mt-sd.7636/#post-117595
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/family-trip-recommendations-needed.22444/#post-304164

Boort

Reactions: Wyatt Grohler

Wyatt Grohler

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
Wyatt
Last Name
Grohler
Member #

@Wyatt Grohler

I'd consider adding one or more of the following as time permits:
  • Great Sand Dunes NP - No wheeling on the dunes but still an awesome place. Come in from the West and take Medano Pass trail out to the Front Range ( https://funtreks.com/off-road-trails/medano-pass/ )
  • Rocky Mtn. NP - take Old Fall River Rd up to the top from Estes Park. Look for Moose in any willows on the W. side of the park.
    Estes Side Eats: The Sundeck (if still open, Heard it was up for sale last year), Dunraven, or Baldpate Inn are some of my favorites
    Grand Lake Side: Pancho & Lefty's, or Cy's Deli
  • If you happen to drive through Grandby Co. Drive By Pie, Don't let looks fool you GREAT Homemade Pies!
  • North Sand Hills Recreation Management Area - If you want to ride on some Dunes (I think they are still open to Vehicles) Good place to hit mid-week. Camp nearby at Big Creek Lakes or boondock in any of the NF land around.
    In Walden: Moose Creek Cafe
  • Lots of camping and Boondocking spots in the Snowy Mtn Range of Wy.
    If you pass through Centennial, Wy stop for some seriously good chow at Antlers
  • Ouray Co (Pick a trail and have some fun! ) - Eat at either Red Mtn. Brewery or Beaumont cafe
  • Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP - Famous views are from the S. Rim better camping is on the N. Rim Campground.
  • If you're still up for some hiking and really cool landscapes, spend some time in the Bisti Badlands

For other sites recommendations further north see also:
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/help-western-us-roadtrip.6460/#post-100279
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/co-wy-mt-sd.7636/#post-117595
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/family-trip-recommendations-needed.22444/#post-304164

Boort
Thank you so much for all the info! We’ll post pics of everywhere we go!

Reactions: Boort

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
If it says Huckleberry....consider stopping. I miss them so bad.....
Whitefish was a large craft brew town when I left. Lots of small restaurants.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Wyatt,
I do not intend to be a wise-ass. . . Couple Dumb Questions. What is the purpose of this Drive? Is it just a Bucket run? How many total days are planning "currently"? July Time-frame right? Are you Sure? Never-mind! You're missing 100's of opportunities, to get off-highway, and stay off highway, and really explore. The trip to the Badlands, Rushmore, and Devils Tower. Would take me 10 Days, 2 Weeks, and I'd have to go home. I carry a 2 Terra-bit HD Drive at it would full of Video, Audio, Digital photos from my Nikon and Drone footage. The trip to, through and around Yellowstone 3 to 4 days minimum, if you're really exploring the area. From there to the Back side of Gracier, Over the Sun Road, and into Kalispell 3 to 4 days, minimum. You could sleep, eat, eat, nap, drink, explore, have dinner and lose a day in Whitefish, or Kalispell. I'd kill two or three days in greater MOAB, Valley of the Gods, Chiles, Mesa Verde, no problem. And we haven't even started talking about great food eats. . . .
I know this land mass well, let's chat.
David

Wyatt Grohler

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
Wyatt
Last Name
Grohler
Member #

Wyatt,
I do not intend to be a wise-ass. . . Couple Dumb Questions. What is the purpose of this Drive? Is it just a Bucket run? How many total days are planning "currently"? July Time-frame right? Are you Sure? Never-mind! You're missing 100's of opportunities, to get off-highway, and stay off highway, and really explore. The trip to the Badlands, Rushmore, and Devils Tower. Would take me 10 Days, 2 Weeks, and I'd have to go home. I carry a 2 Terra-bit HD Drive at it would full of Video, Audio, Digital photos from my Nikon and Drone footage. The trip to, through and around Yellowstone 3 to 4 days minimum, if you're really exploring the area. From there to the Back side of Gracier, Over the Sun Road, and into Kalispell 3 to 4 days, minimum. You could sleep, eat, eat, nap, drink, explore, have dinner and lose a day in Whitefish, or Kalispell. I'd kill two or three days in greater MOAB, Valley of the Gods, Chiles, Mesa Verde, no problem. And we haven't even started talking about great food eats. . . .
I know this land mass well, let's chat.
David
Thanks for the recommendations! Our main reason was to go up to kalispell area and visit one of our travelers family there. It’s slowly grown into a 12-14 day trip with lots of stops including some you’ve mentioned. This will be our first true excursion with better “overland” equipped vehicles. We’re also bringing a 10 month old around the time of the trip so we’re attempting to pack as much as we realistically can in this trip. We know we’re going to not be able to truly explore each and every location as we could but we’re want to at least reach these places to decide if a specific excursion to that place later is necessary. We’re more than willing to alter some routes if we’re given great recommendations.

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

When you're up in the Greater Kalispell area, A trip down to Big Fork is worth the effort. The Flathead Lake Brewing Co., and Pubhouse is a trip. While in Kalispell, Breakfast at Grateful Bread Cafe, and "The Knead Cafe" are good. There are two brew-pubs in Idaho Falls, and a couple in downtown Salt Lake City. I know you live in New Mexico, however the Red Iguana is a reason to exit the Freeway.
www.rediguana.com Let me know roughly when you think you'll be in Eastern Idaho. I'll see if the can meet up. David

Wyatt Grohler

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Alamogordo, New Mexico
First Name
Wyatt
Last Name
Grohler
Member #

I’ll keep those places in mind. A big part of the trip is eating at non-chain places so we can take in some of the more unique places. We’re all getting more and more excited as we get closer.

Reactions: Bridger43