Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
NW Florida (Lower Alabama) member here, I'd be up for joining you guys too! In the past I hunted for several years near Georgiana, AL and I've been to the race at Talladega several times! One of the places I've been thinking about visiting is Cheaha Mountain (Tallest Point in Alabama) in Cheah State Park surrounded by the Talladega National Forest!

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Thanks, plan on heading over soon. Is it alright to camp on one of those trails or do people mostly just drive through?
It is totally fine to disperse camp in TNF. Of all the places I’ve been, I think the overlook campsite just north of Horn Mountain, about a mile, is one of the prettiest. You can back right up to the edge of the mountain. Lots of other sites north of there as well.

Tuscaloosa area here - just joined.

Jackn123

Rank IV

Advocate III

Birmingham, AL, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Noble
Member #

New member in the Birmingham area here! Just getting started with my family, but looking forward to visiting Talladega soon.

Red Mountain

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Red Mountain Alabama
First Name
David
Last Name
Commer
Member #

Not a new member, but just made the move across the country settling in the Huntsville area. Willing to meet up, wheel, and camp with others!
Welcome to Southern humidty. Huntsville is a great town. This thread stays pretty quiet, so the welcomes may be slow to appear, kinda' like the South.

Cj13

Rank II

Contributor II

Mount Olive, AL, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

mount olive al here! just north of birmingham. If anyone wants to meet up and hit some trails feel free to message me

Jackn123

Rank IV

Advocate III

Birmingham, AL, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Noble
Member #

This weekend (Thu-Sun) we've rented a cabin in the Chattahoochee NF southeast of Blue Ridge - planning to do some rides and hikes. Hoping to hike a bit of the Appalachian and Benton Mackaye trails as well. Excited to check out this area. I have plotted a number of routes, touching on a couple of parts of the GA Traverse.

Jfallen31

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Owens Cross Roads, AL, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Allen
Member #

This weekend (Thu-Sun) we've rented a cabin in the Chattahoochee NF southeast of Blue Ridge - planning to do some rides and hikes. Hoping to hike a bit of the Appalachian and Benton Mackaye trails as well. Excited to check out this area. I have plotted a number of routes, touching on a couple of parts of the GA Traverse.
Sounds like a blast! Please let everyone know how it went. I'm definitely going to plan a trip soon.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Thanks for the recommendations, Tundracamper. I've been researching the Georgia Traverse, but I will definitely take a look at the options you provided.
Yep, that’s one of my favorites. I’ve camped on the GT west of Blue Ridge. Some great campsites in that area. Blue Ridge is a nice stop if you like touristy mountain towns, which I do.