AGM Batteries - Which one’s should I buy for my FZJ80 dual setup?

• HTML tutorial

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Yeah this is like one of the worst kept secrets in the industry... it's all JC and East Penn. When you go buy a battery at Napa or Autozone or anywhere else, they're all basically the same so buy based on desired warranty and how convenient the store is to you when you need that warranty.

The only exception I know is Odyssey/Northstar. I've been running nothing but their performance series and they've been excellent.
how convenient the store is to you when you need that warranty.
Exactly.
Zim

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I am now running a single 31' Northstar AGM for my cranking batter with a hood mounted flexible solar panel that keeps that battery topped off at all times. I removed the other battery under the hood and now use the battery box as an electrical fuse bus base for most of my on-board electrics. I installed 2 Battle Born lithium batteries with 100 amp hours each inside my truck on the floor next to my Goose Gear box and built a cage around them so items don't fall on top of the batteries and short them out. Those are charged by a 200 AMP roof rack mounted rigid solar panel by Renogy. I also installed charging ports in both the front and rear bumpers when garaged. My entire power set up is now rock solid. One last thing, I installed the Victron Connect system to monitor my batteries. Redarc also makes super cool monitoring systems, but very pricey. The Victron shows everything I need to manage my batteries and does so with Bluetooth tech to an app on my phone.

I will say, after 6 years and 3 sets of Northstar 31 AGM's under the hood, I'm not recommending it. I found that when the AGM's run too low, the battery memory goes to hell and wind up needing replacement. They're not cheap. Due to my own error by not turning off my fridge, I ran the batteries too low and ruined them. A pretty normal human error....especially when returning home from a long trip and wanting to relax after unloading. Under hood heat is also an issue. I believe the heat contributed to their short life. I should have gone back to the dealers where I purchased them, but I'm too lazy. In the end, it probably would have saved me at least $1,200.
Oh how a lot has changed in 6 years with vehicle power options. I’ve since moved up to a Lithium power setup now too, and it’s a game changer.

Btw, I had another X2 Power fail me on our Utah trip last Spring. Officially done babysitting AGMs in 4wds. Running a regular lead acid starting battery and then a large DCS 180AH LiFePo4 battery in the cargo area charging via Redarc BCDC. Solar, 2000w inverter, plenty of power and no more worries about anything power related honestly. I stuffed my battery and components in the rear quarter and on and around my drawers.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
Babysitting AGMs....what a great way to describe the experience. I agree on the Lithiums....total game changer. I don't even think about power anymore other than the one AGM I have left under the hood...my cranking battery. I keep an eye on it with my battery app which works great. Also running the Redarc BCDC and love it. No problems so far....Fingers crossed!!

Reactions: shoredreamer