Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

So we all talk about trip planning and trip activities. I have a question about life after the trip: cleaning up and storing gear.

Most I know but I have a couple new self inflating sleeping pads I use in cold weather. These give me an extra R4 insulator between my normal sleeping pad and the ground.

When putting a self inflating pad away, do you store it inflated or deflated? I am curious what others do. I unroll my sleeping bags, air out my other sleeping pad, and air out my tent but curious which is better for these new pads.

Thanks!

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

I'm a "pro staff" tester for a manufacturer not an expert of self-inflating pads and they briefed me to leave them semi-inflated for long-term storage to preserve the foam's long-term resiliency and to deter mildew and mold in case of moisture infiltration.

Reactions: Frdmskr

Frdmskr

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, Virginia, United States
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

I'm a "pro staff" tester for a manufacturer not an expert of self-inflating pads and they briefed me to leave them semi-inflated for long-term storage to preserve the foam's long-term resiliency and to deter mildew and mold in case of moisture infiltration.
Thanks. That makes sense but figured I’d ask.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Agreed, we open our valves (Thermorest) and just slide them under a bed.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

BTW, you should also store any tent poles with elastic in them in the extended position so the elastic doesn’t get stretched out.
Anything down, uncompressed, anything with foam, uncompressed. Anything wet, completely dried before storage.

pluton

Rank IV

Member I

Santa Monica, CA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
BBB
Member #

BTW, you should also store any tent poles with elastic in them in the extended position so the elastic doesn’t get stretched out.
Anything down, uncompressed, anything with foam, uncompressed. Anything wet, completely dried before storage.
I did that religiously for years until on one trip I left 2 of the 4 tent poles at home because they're NOT stored with the tent. Now I keep them folded and with the tent while stored at home. No pole cords have lost elasticity for the last 20 years except one set of Marmot pole cords which were clearly defective.

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I did that religiously for years until on one trip I left 2 of the 4 tent poles at home because they're NOT stored with the tent. Now I keep them folded and with the tent while stored at home. No pole cords have lost elasticity for the last 20 years except one set of Marmot pole cords which were clearly defective.
I solved that problem by making a sign/tag that I zip tied to the tent bag that says “tent poles”.
That way when I grab the bag, I see the sign an don’t forget the poles.