Rank IV

Builder I

Westlake, Ohio, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Shock
Member #

Hey everyone! I’m looking to camp out of my Ranger and I’d love a sleeping pad to use as a base for my sleeping bag, but I don’t wanna spend several hundred dollars making it happen. Any good recommendations? Thanks!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
when we were camping out of the back of my tundra, id use harbor freight moving blankets. get them on sale for $5 and stack 3 of them. for $15 i have a nice soft underlayment that i can use for other things when not sleeping. easy to dry if they get wet and for $5...i dont worry if one gets messed up.
can even use one as a picnic blanket, etc. i like to use things that i can get multiple uses out of.

Reactions: Shock and MidOH

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
1.) Procure bales of hay.
2.) Throw in truck, cover with itchy blanket. Make squirrel noises.
3.) ????????
4.) Profit!

• Haha
Reactions: grubworm and Shock

Shock

Rank IV

Builder I

Westlake, Ohio, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Shock
Member #

when we were camping out of the back of my tundra, id use harbor freight moving blankets. get them on sale for $5 and stack 3 of them. for $15 i have a nice soft underlayment that i can use for other things when not sleeping. easy to dry if they get wet and for $5...i dont worry if one gets messed up.
can even use one as a picnic blanket, etc. i like to use things that i can get multiple uses out of.

Makes sense, does it provide enough support for you?

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Makes sense, does it provide enough support for you?
it worked very well. im using past tense because i recently built out a cargo trailer and now we use a 5" memory foam mattress. but yeah, it worked really well

Reactions: Shock

Lazynorse

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Tacoma, WA, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Olsen
Be on the lookout for used 3"+ combo air mat with foam interior, ala ThermaRest. I use the ThermaRest MondaKing 3d but acknowledge that new prices are not budget minded. Less expensive and equally comfortable to Exped MegaMat though. You could double up with a ThermaRest Z Rest (just foam, don't rely only on that if you're over 13 yrs old) and a typical 2"+ Thermarest Air Mat. Those have been sold for decades and there's plenty out there used. Another option, though bulky, is a sheet of foam, preferably a denser one that provides comfort. Lastly, I find any flimsy, thin pad to be more than adequate on a cot. I learned to like cots on a Grand Canyon rafting trip, I was shocked how great I slept on it.

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I second the idea of throwing down a harbor freight moving blanket for some added insulation. I use them when camping in a tent or out of my WJ but put a pad on top. For the pad I've really liked the Klymit Static V, they aren't the cheapest but they pack up small and I think they are comfortable. You can find them for $60-$120 depending on which one you get, there is a handful of different sizes and styles. They don't take much to blow up yourself but I'm lazy and bought one of their rechargeable pumps which is pretty small as well. I've been using them for 3-4 years now and I've never had one leak (I have 3) so I would say they are pretty durable.