Affordable/reliable multi band “roof mounted” HAM antenna?

• HTML tutorial

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
I’ve been gathering parts to fab a COMMS Cluster for my SCREW. My intention is to repurpose a RAM Universal laptop tray to mount my iPad (I’m partial to Gaia for preloaded Nav), my Cobra 75WXST, and “hand-me-down” KT8900 25W UHF/VHF radio set and GT3-TP M3 handheld radio which my brother gave me off his rig.

I have the mounting and power configurations figured out in a manner that makes the RAM Tray removable from the truck so I can use the Cluster in Wifeys Ford Edge or in the house. I’m planning to run the Cobra off a Firestik from the Roof Rack, but haven’t solved an antenna solution for the KT8900 yet(?). I’d also like to route it to the Roof Rack. Looks like I’m going to have to pick up a 2M antenna as all I have in the garage are 3 more Firestiks incompatible with HAM. Anyone have recommendations for an affordable/reliable multi band roof mounted HAM antenna for a low power radio set? For clarity, I’m not looking to route an antenna for the Handheld --only the KT8900.

My real concerns are that my Ford is an aluminum body thus how will it impact the radio(s) Tx / Rx? And that little Bro’s “hand-me-downs” are forcing to break out the HAM flash cards and study guide to finally take the Tech Test. I think the later was part of his evil plan... DOH!

Thanks in advance for any advice. MW

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

A mag mount is obviously out...

The Larsen 2/70 is generally regarded as one of the best antennas.
I run a couple Browning Br-180-b antennas and they have held up fine for years. They get smacked against trees daily. The 2m part of the antenna is a 1/2 wave so it isn't ground dependent. They are also about half the price of a Larsen.
Tram (Part of Tram-Browning) also has a shorter dual band antenna () and for the price you won't be heart broken if it gets broken and would be easy to carry a spare or two.

You didn't mention how big your firestik antenna is but firestik also makes a couple 2m antennas. On their website click the other antennas tab near the top. This would give a uniform look.

Reactions: BigH2OChief

BigH2OChief

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Carmel Mountain Ranch, San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Woody
Member #

Service Branch
US Army / US Navy
A mag mount is obviously out...

The Larsen 2/70 is generally regarded as one of the best antennas.
I run a couple Browning Br-180-b antennas and they have held up fine for years. They get smacked against trees daily. The 2m part of the antenna is a 1/2 wave so it isn't ground dependent. They are also about half the price of a Larsen.
Tram (Part of Tram-Browning) also has a shorter dual band antenna () and for the price you won't be heart broken if it gets broken and would be easy to carry a spare or two.

You didn't mention how big your firestik antenna is but firestik also makes a couple 2m antennas. On their website click the other antennas tab near the top. This would give a uniform look.
Perfecto! I’ll research these options tonight. My OCD likes the way you think... uniformity and all. Last night I rewrapped a 10’ run of underbody cable coil because the e-tape winds were off by a 1/4”. Too much time on my hands... Haha!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Prerunner1982