Rank III

Enthusiast II

Boulder, CO, USA
First Name
Mirko
Last Name
Froehlich
Member #

I'm getting an Ursa Minor J30 camper top installed on my 2019 JLU in a week. They will install a 200w Renogy solar panel on top, along with a Victron controller. I also have a Jackery 1000 power station that I'd like to integrate into my system, so I can reliably power my fridge and other devices from this rather than directly from the car battery.

In terms of wiring everything together, it sounds like Ursa Minor is flexible, depending on my preferences. Since I don't know much about best practices for solar systems, I was wondering if folks here might have some advice.

I can think of two main options:

1) Renogy/Victron wired directly to the car battery. Jackery charges via the car's 12v outlet.

Pros:
- Since the Ursa Minor tent's lights and USB ports draw power directly from the car battery, keeping this charged is attractive. (But I assume that power draw is pretty minimal.)
- When driving, the Jackery can also charge using power generated by the car's alternator (e.g. on cloudy days). But of course even with the other wiring setup, I could always plug it in to the 12v outlet when needed, so it's not a major advantage.
- Feels like a simpler setup overall. E.g. on shorter trips, I might even be able to leave the Jackery at home and still be able to charge the car battery and use it to power the fridge.

Cons:
- Likely much less efficient (and slower) to charge the Jackery via 12v than directly via solar.

2) Renogy/Victron wired directly to the Jackery, not the car battery.

Pros:
- Likely much more efficient (and faster) to charge than via 12v.

Cons:
- The solar system is useless if I don't bring the Jackery
- Tent lights and USB ports can potentially deplete the car battery if the car remains stationary for several days.

Do my assumptions sound right? Any other things I should consider? What would you do?

Or is there perhaps another option:

3) Install some sort of switch that controls whether the Victron charges the car battery or the Jackery

I.e. best of both worlds?

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
sounds like a very nice setup. there are many ways you can rig up your power and im sure most of them would work just fine with few problems. i have a shell on my tundra and i put a panel on top so it constantly charges a 50ah battery i have dedicated for use in the shell. personal choice, but i like keeping my vehicle battery isolated from everything else. it seems like your panel will mount on the shell of the tent and be usable while driving, right? if so, i would just have it plugged into the jackery and charge during the day while youre driving and of course you will be using the panel to charge while camped. if its a cloudy day, you can plug the jackery into the cigarette lighter port in the vehicle and charge it while driving. if you have room, id have a dedicated 50ah battery hooked to the panel and wired in place of the vehicle battery. no matter what happens, you will always have your vehicle battery charged without fear of it going dead because of a short or something left on by accident. also with the seperate 50ah battery, you have a backup in case your vehicle battery dies. i was remote one time and my truck battery died (old age) and luckily i had the battery in the shell that i was able to jump off of. nice having options. id use the jackery to power lights and everything and have the extra battery as backup and to charge the jackery when camped and not running the vehicle.

there are lots of ways to have your vehicle battery in the mix and to charge off the victron and have it electrically isolated by diode or relay, etc. im sure there are plenty of folk on here that work that way and swear by it. if you really want to do that, you can buy components that will help protect your vehicle battery and allow you to integrate it successfully...i just rather keep it separate, especially if ill be remote and really need my vehicle to start when i need it.

Reactions: digitalhobbit

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Keep it simple. Panel, charge controller, battery. If you want to bring the Jackery for other things, do that. I have several USB ports and various accessories wired to battery (B+) in all my vehicles. Both my vehicles and my trailer run a permanent solar panel. This keeps my battery wired accessories from killing my batteries. If your battery goes to zero volts, you pull a ton of life from it. How much is based on how long it sits dead.

Reactions: digitalhobbit