Evergreen, CO
First Name
Gabe
Last Name
Varela
Member #

Hello all,

This is my first post!

My rig is a 2015 Toyota Tacoma with ICON Stage 2, Total Chaos UCAs, 33" KO2s, and tugging a Turtleback Expedition Trailer.

I am planning a trip over March 24th-31st to go from Denver to Moab via Grand Junction to Gateway, CO (Taking the Dolores Triangle Route to Sheep Creek to the Gateway-Castleton road). I know it is a popular time of year to go to Moab so I am looking for some advice on moderate trails that have dispersed/primitive camping. Ideally we would like visit Arches and Canyon Lands but, are really just looking to explore.

Thanks!

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

When you get to Moab, go find a spot out of the wind in BFG. The camping is free, they do appreciate donations to keep it open, and while at Moab you are close to Arches for day trips. You may know this already, but no dogs in the National Parks! Hope this helps, Benz.

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

There's a lot of pretty good looking dispersed camping spots just off of 191 before you get to Moab on Willow Springs Road. It's a pretty nice 4x4 road that actually heads into Arches NP, and I feel like it would be a great central location for a weekend trip as you can head into Arches (either 4wheeling through Willow Springs or off of 191), drive to Canyonlands or head into Moab proper. That said, I haven't slept there yet so I can't tell you exactly how it is, but the location is pretty sweet.

Reactions: GabeV

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
There is not much of an offroad trail to this place, but the camping spot is beyond beautiful. Try the Needles Overlook (south of Moab, west of the highway). The area just before the parking area and overlook is BLM and open to dispersed camping. The sunset and sunrise is amazing and waking up at the edge of this spectacular vista is worth the trip. Give it a shot - you won't be disappointed.

Attachments

Reactions: GabeV