Additional battery inside vehicle?

• HTML tutorial

Delete Me

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
I have seen folks installing additional batteries inside their vehicles and I don't mean in the engine bay. Got me wondering ... how do you vent them? I mostly see this with truck caps and vans and I just bought a truck cap. I would like to add an aux battery and inside the bed is easy but doesn't seem safe to me. I think on RV trailers they vent the battery compartment, when battery tray slides into the trailer.

Rally don't want to punch holes in bed of truck, nor in my spanky new cha ching snugtop.

Thanks, FB

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

I have a 2nd battery inside my spare tire well which is in the hatch area of my Jeep.

I have not seen any info about needing to vent it. So you have my interest. I am using a sealed AGM style battery so I am not sure if that changes things. No acid to leak out so thats a bonus. However where the battery is located is not all that sealed. I am sure if breathes with fine and being covered all the time ensures its not getting direct sunlight. Which is brutal here in Phoenix.

AZBubs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Tan Valley, AZ
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BHP
Im in the process of installing a house battery inside my 4runner. As far as I can tell from reading and research an AGM wont vent (under normal conditions). Out of precaution I am still going to attach the vent hose to the side and run it out the drain line from my sunroof so I dont have to drill any holes. I would not put a flooded battery inside whatsoever.

Traveler I

It is my understanding that the ATM battery that is sealed does not need vented. A "wet" lead acid battery does need to be vented. So, fatboytx, can you fit a second battery under the hood somewhere? Depending on what kind of truck you have it may be possible as diesels generally come with 2 batteries. If you have a gas engine in a truck that is sometimes sold as a diesel, then that would be an excellent option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Yes, if an AGM battery, it does not need venting like an older styled with vent caps. Here is just one source about that:

battery-AGMvent.png

Reactions: RainGoat

Delete Me

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
Thanks all! I have a 2016 F150. Has tons more room under the hood than the powerstroke I got rid of but thats not saying much. I think I'd be moving things around to fit a second battery under the hood. Some diesels actually put a battery box down on the frame rail.

Its good to know that I can safely use a sealed battery in the truck bed if I have to.

Thanks again, FB

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Thanks all! I have a 2016 F150. Has tons more room under the hood than the powerstroke I got rid of but thats not saying much. I think I'd be moving things around to fit a second battery under the hood. Some diesels actually put a battery box down on the frame rail.

Its good to know that I can safely use a sealed battery in the truck bed if I have to.

Thanks again, FB
Yep, the Odyssey, Northstar (X2 Power) & Optima (probably wouldn’t get anymore) can all be mounted in any orientation except upside down. Many rigs have their auxiliary battery in the passenger compartment. It’s not new, these sealed AGMs have been doing this for decades now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thanks again, FB
My second cranking battery for my Duramax diesel is on the driver's side frame rail. I'm thinking of putting both house batteries there, as well, then armoring them all with a removable plate with recessed bolt heads.