Cael528

Rank I

Contributor III

Hainesport, Burlington County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Cael
Last Name
Johnson
Hello, I have a 2023 Willy’s 4xE JL. I am looking to add KC (or another off road brand) lights and have them attached to the A-pillar. My jeep does not come with the factory auxiliary switches in the cab. My question come from the installation of the light switch. Do I need to buy a switch with a relay box? Do I need a relay box at all? Is it easier/cheaper to buy them separately? Thanks I’m a total noob with this stuff.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

Your safest bet would be to get a kit that includes all the right gauge wires, relay, and switch. People very often miscalculate the amps being drawn through components, especially switches. Many will have lights that draw 10 - 15 amps and direct it through a switch that's only rated for <5 amps. That's a great way to start a catastrophic fire.

Cael528

Rank I

Contributor III

Hainesport, Burlington County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Cael
Last Name
Johnson
Your safest bet would be to get a kit that includes all the right gauge wires, relay, and switch. People very often miscalculate the amps being drawn through components, especially switches. Many will have lights that draw 10 - 15 amps and direct it through a switch that's only rated for <5 amps. That's a great way to start a catastrophic fire.
Gotcha! Thanks man I appreciate the help.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Hey you might want to look into the kit from Lasfit, it replaces the original aux switch/blinds and comes with a switch box.
There are YouTube reviews available.

Reactions: Cael528

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Rigid 360 are good ditch lights on the pillar. But angled out.

Forward aimed, larger model Rigid 360 lights are what I'm putting on my bumper.

Both have near nil for amp draw. A small relay and switch is fine.

Reactions: Cael528