Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
What could be better than spending time with like-minded people? The Overland Bound Community can offer exactly that. But still (and here I speak for Europe) it is always a hurdle to get such events going. All it really needs is a little spark to get the fire going. Each one of us can be exactly that spark. To set the small rally point without fear of being alone. But as Robert says, even a planned "coffee and talk" without other members is still a great outing with a delicious coffee.

There is a lot happening here in the north of Germany right now. Today at noon we finished our first OB meeting in Northern Germany - and what started in October with 4 vehicles was finished last night with 15 vehicles and 10 people staying overnight. Wow. I could hardly believe that so many people used their time and spent it together with the OB community. But I'm sure it won't be the last time.

But what exactly made the difference? Here are a few ingredients needed for such a development:
- enthusiasm
- the motivation to contact other members in the region, perhaps privately.
- connecting members with each other
- and simply setting rally points over and over again.

And now it's even easier (if I'm not mistaken): as soon as you create an RPS members in your region will be notified.

What can you do to be notified of such RPS
- Check the OB calendar,
- filter by your region.

And now some impressions:

Attachments

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Thanks for posting the pictures! Motivation and enthusiasm are addictive qualities that definitely need a spark, internal or external. Glad y'all were able to get out and group up. Also, I think this is the first time I've seen a pet rabbit on a leash. That is awesome haha

Looks like y'all had a good meet up though, for those of us living vicariously through Google Earth, where did y'all camp?

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
What could be better than spending time with like-minded people? The Overland Bound Community can offer exactly that. But still (and here I speak for Europe) it is always a hurdle to get such events going. All it really needs is a little spark to get the fire going. Each one of us can be exactly that spark. To set the small rally point without fear of being alone. But as Robert says, even a planned "coffee and talk" without other members is still a great outing with a delicious coffee.

There is a lot happening here in the north of Germany right now. Today at noon we finished our first OB meeting in Northern Germany - and what started in October with 4 vehicles was finished last night with 15 vehicles and 10 people staying overnight. Wow. I could hardly believe that so many people used their time and spent it together with the OB community. But I'm sure it won't be the last time.

But what exactly made the difference? Here are a few ingredients needed for such a development:
- enthusiasm
- the motivation to contact other members in the region, perhaps privately.
- connecting members with each other
- and simply setting rally points over and over again.

And now it's even easier (if I'm not mistaken): as soon as you create an RPS members in your region will be notified.

What can you do to be notified of such RPS
- Check the OB calendar,
- filter by your region.

And now some impressions:
Very well stated! Just reaching out and welcoming new members from your area who post in the forum can go a long way. If people feel welcomed they are more likely to attend and event. Meetups are a great way for new folks to get to know some of the regulars and will make it easier to "head off into the woods with a bunch of people you don't know" as my Wife Michelle stated when we attended our first OB event which was a camp out. She insisted we just go for the day, and a couple of hours into it, was wishing we had brought our gear so we could stay ... lol. Depending on where you live it can be hard to maintain regular events through the winter season, the holidays etc. so it feels like you are starting over, and this is something I need to be be working on to help keep the group active in our area.