Rank III

Traveler III

Sunnyvale, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Dizaster
Member #

Thinking of taking a short trip to just south of Yosemite over Labor Day w/e. Starting in Coarsgold and heading to Florence lake and back. Most of this is on pavement, but thinking of exploring the dirt north of the Kaiser Wilderness and around Mammoth Pool on the way back.

Anyone familiar with the dirt in that area? I'm looking for an easy to moderate route to find some great scenery. Will be traveling with a friend in another vehicle, but we're pretty inexperienced so don't want to get into trouble with anything too hardcore.

Gaia Route
Google Maps Route (or the best you can manage with Google Maps)

Sierra Nation Forest Trip.jpg

Last edited:

jimmyd6

Rank I

Contributor III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Jimmy
Last Name
Danforth
Hello, Did you end up going? I'm new to overlanding and coming from camping in a fifth wheel. I was just up at Pine Crest lake this weekend and have the bug to go do more exploring.

DANNER

Rank III

Traveler III

Sunnyvale, CA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Dizaster
Member #

Hey, Yes, I just got back. There were some nice views down by Florence lake, but these trails were super foggy, so I didn't find the grand vistas I was hoping for.

Also the road up to the Mt. Tom fire lookout is closed and also 7S005 west of the West Kaiser Creek Campground so had to turn around there.

Foggy2.png

Reactions: jimmyd6 and Advtres

Ouroverlandtrips

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fresno, Fresno County, California, United States
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Macias
Member #

Thinking of taking a short trip to just south of Yosemite over Labor Day w/e. Starting in Coarsgold and heading to Florence lake and back. Most of this is on pavement, but thinking of exploring the dirt north of the Kaiser Wilderness and around Mammoth Pool on the way back.

Anyone familiar with the dirt in that area? I'm looking for an easy to moderate route to find some great scenery. Will be traveling with a friend in another vehicle, but we're pretty inexperienced so don't want to get into trouble with anything too hardcore.

Gaia Route
Google Maps Route (or the best you can manage with Google Maps)

View attachment 264339
We’re there usually two weekends a month.when Kaiser pass opens till it closes it’s are place to be when off the clock. Fishing is great , You got the hot springs to soak in the evenings and Florence lake , no jet skies or water hot rods , PEACE !!!