Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

Although I grew up camping with my family (New England), it wasn't until I moved to New Mexico in May of 2019 that I fell hard for the outdoors and eventually with overlanding and the freedom / sense of peace associated with both.

123_1_04.jpeg

Initially I moved out with as much as I could fit in my 2005.5 A4 Avant (6 speed :hearteyes:) and I drove this up many forest service roads on my way to trail heads. I kept trying to go further and explore more as I started to cherish the surreal and varied landscapes in the Land of Entrapment. I realized soon that if I got this wagon stuck or it broke down miles down a trail, I'd have to just give the damn thing to the tow company.

PXL_20201218_221917217.jpgIMG_20191213_165228.jpgIMG_20190525_125317.jpg

Sometimes I think I miss the Audi but having worked on it myself, I knew there were only more and more expensive and time consuming maintenance ahead. I also knew I wanted to be out exploring this state and not wrenching on an almost 20 year old, over-engineered German car.
On March 20, 2021 I snagged a 2020 Ram Rebel with 27k miles on it (rental truck) with the quad cab and 6'4" bed. Once I determined I was going to need a different vehicle to adventure I spent entirely too much time reading up, on sites like this very one, on the many ways people got themselves out into the backcountry. While exploring in my Audi I generally stayed in camp grounds until the pandemic, until I gave up and discovered what public land was. This solidified my desire / need to get a truck or SUV. I grew enamored with the truck bed camper and settled on a truck. Having never owned a truck before I routinely rented one for the weekend from the Sunport and set out into the woods. I drove a few Ram 1500s, a Silverado, and F-150 Eco Boost.

editthisone.jpg

The EcoBoost was FAST, the Silverado I found to be hideous (that front end) and while I fully intended to, never drove the Tundra. I have friends how have had Rams and I blame them for guiding me down this path. I drove a Rebel in ABQ, the first vehicle I test drove, and determined it was too much truck for me and some 6 months later I ended up buying one in Colorado Springs, dealerships in AZ and NM were a pain and I was out the door at $43k and Nirettzy got as much done before I drove up, making it as painless as I could have imagined. I knew going in that I was buying entirely too much truck and spent more than I thought I'd have to (although seeing older Rebels go for more today than what I paid then makes me feel pretty solid).

My plan / dream is to eventually live out of this truck, so I never really considered something smaller than a half ton. The Tacoma sure has incredible aftermarket support but I didn't want to outgrow or overload the truck with my overlanding plans. I dream of putting 500k miles on the Ram and someday putting a flatbed / pop up camper on. It remains to be seen if I'll upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. For now the truck is set up, phase 1, for weekend outings and some week long trips but we'll get there

On the way home to ABQ from Colorado Springs, I detoured up to Jemez Mountains and then south to Tijeras to drive a few dirt roads and get acquainted with the Rebel Yell. In the subsequent post I'll march through the changes I've made and outline where I hope to go from here, albeit slowly.

Attachments

Last edited:

MOVE.OVERland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Kelley
Member #

Service Branch
Army vet
Although I grew up camping with my family (New England), it wasn't until I moved to New Mexico in May of 2019 that I fell hard for the outdoors and eventually with overlanding and the freedom / sense of peace associated with both.

Initially I moved out with as much as I could fit in my 2005.5 A4 Avant (6 speed :hearteyes:) and I drove this up many forest service roads on my way to trail heads. I kept trying to go further and explore more as I started to cherish the surreal and varied landscapes in the Land of Entrapment. I realized soon that if I got this wagon stuck or it broke down miles down a trail, I'd have to just give the damn thing to the tow company.

Sometimes I think I miss the Audi but having worked on it myself, I knew there were only more and more expensive and time consuming maintenance ahead. I also knew I wanted to be out exploring this state and not wrenching on an almost 20 year old, over-engineered German car.
On March 20, 2021 I snagged a 2020 Ram Rebel with 27k miles on it (rental truck) with the quad cab and 6'4" bed. Once I determined I was going to need a different vehicle to adventure I spent entirely too much time reading up, on sites like this very one, on the many ways people got themselves out into the backcountry. While exploring in my Audi I generally stayed in camp grounds until the pandemic, until I gave up and discovered what public land was. This solidified my desire / need to get a truck or SUV. I grew enamored with the truck bed camper and settled on a truck. Having never owned a truck before I routinely rented one for the weekend from the Sunport and set out into the woods. I drove a few Ram 1500s, a Silverado, and F-150 Eco Boost.

View attachment 262587

The EcoBoost was FAST, the Silverado I found to be hideous (that front end) and while I fully intended to, never drove the Tundra. I have friends how have had Rams and I blame them for guiding me down this path. I drove a Rebel in ABQ, the first vehicle I test drove, and determined it was too much truck for me and some 6 months later I ended up buying one in Colorado Springs, dealerships in AZ and NM were a pain and I was out the door at $43k and Nirettzy got as much done before I drove up, making it as painless as I could have imagined. I knew going in that I was buying entirely too much truck and spent more than I thought I'd have to (although seeing older Rebels go for more today than what I paid then makes me feel pretty solid).

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPCXvBn7bTVQoFsPVrMzLI4Zxha-1RvJl5kXl94wLKx7s8z5QSiNhqzvYcuj9cCvA/photo/AF1QipMZGS96w2hO6yrQZ7wyNXt_qUdxWQ2VbAkbIOJf?key=WHlHbHA1VE5wYTdMbzJfVVVDSktIekxuVks4cWtR
My plan / dream is to eventually live out of this truck, so I never really considered something smaller than a half ton. The Tacoma sure has incredible aftermarket support but I didn't want to outgrow or overload the truck with my overlanding plans. I dream of putting 500k miles on the Ram and someday putting a flatbed / pop up camper on. It remains to be seen if I'll upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. For now the truck is set up, phase 1, for weekend outings and some week long trips but we'll get there

On the way home to ABQ from Colorado Springs, I detoured up to Jemez Mountains and then south to Tijeras to drive a few dirt roads and get acquainted with the Rebel Yell. In the subsequent post I'll march through the changes I've made and outline where I hope to go from here, albeit slowly.

Rams have been great to me overall! I’m on my 3rd now, still have 2 of them. I grew up a Chevy guy but I was tired of problems constantly. Bought a 03 dodge and got 200k before I traded it in on my 14 ram. And it’s been a beast. Routine maintenance and a lot of mods. I’m at 205k and just started getting the hemi tick. I’m rebuilding it now, but for the meantime….. I just purchased a 19 ram as a daily driver for now. We also have a 17 jeep grand Cherokee trailhawk with the hemi in it also. I’m quite partial to mopar now! 2 rams and 2 grands in the driveway and all of them have gotten trail experience. I think you’ll enjoy that ram!

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

Weeks later I took Yell for a road trip up to Del Norte, Colorado - the pups were a big fan

Initial modifications involved debadging and changing the tint of the fog lights from clear to yellow. In the coming months I ended up changing that to amber. It is a cheap, fun, silly mod but I prefer the amber and the little sticky lens was maybe $20.

Eager to sleep in the truck I drove an hour south to San Lorenzo Canyon [BLM] so I could spend a night sleeping in the bed of the truck.

Reactions: Mekcanix and Shahn

MOVE.OVERland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Kelley
Member #

Service Branch
Army vet

View attachment 262587

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPCXvBn7bTVQoFsPVrMzLI4Zxha-1RvJl5kXl94wLKx7s8z5QSiNhqzvYcuj9cCvA/photo/AF1QipMZGS96w2hO6yrQZ7wyNXt_qUdxWQ2VbAkbIOJf?key=WHlHbHA1VE5wYTdMbzJfVVVDSktIekxuVks4cWtR

Rams have been great to me overall! I’m on my 3rd now, still have 2 of them. I grew up a Chevy guy but I was tired of problems constantly. Bought a 03 dodge and got 200k before I traded it in on my 14 ram. And it’s been a beast. Routine maintenance and a lot of mods. I’m at 205k and just started getting the hemi tick. I’m rebuilding it now, but for the meantime….. I just purchased a 19 ram as a daily driver for now. We also have a 17 jeep grand Cherokee trailhawk with the hemi in it also. I’m quite partial to mopar now! 2 rams and 2 grands in the driveway and all of them have gotten trail experience. I think you’ll enjoy that ram!
I don’t have many photos on here but on ig @move.overland

Reactions: Nick Malette

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

April / May 2021

I managed to get out camping multiple times, initially a short trip up to Jemez mountains. Using an air mattress the first night and then reverting back to the tried and true tent. Still operating out of my camping bins set up that I put together to camp out of the Audi. I quickly realized my camper shell couldn't get here soon enough (ordered April 2021, installed July - not bad!) and I became tired of constantly moving the bins into the cab if I left the truck street parked (while adventuring - bins stayed in the garage day to day).

While these are recent photos, you can barely tell in the picture above that I've removed 2/3 of the rear seats. I build a fairly simple platform my dog, Old Man Brooks to lounge on as it is usually him and I on long road trips together. While this truck now can seat three people, I carry a ton of stuff underneath the platform, although it is a bit of a cluster down there.

At the end of May I ventured up south of Pagosa Springs to Buckles Lake. Still sleeping out of the tent but getting a feel for the truck, where it can take me, when to turn around, etc. Everything gets loaded in the back and unloaded once at camp - at this point I'm in shock where this truck is taking me. Thrilled and deeply grateful for the adventures and quiet time amongst the trees and I haven't even had the truck 90 days.

mtns.jpg

Reactions: Shahn

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

Late June 2021

Pixel 2 camera is dying, photo quality continues to degrade until..... well you'll see

Summer temperatures in ABQ don't lend themselves to time spent outside and I continue heading north in search of water, higher elevation and cooler temps.

Back to Pagosa and the San Juan National Forest!

Mild roads with Aspen stands, please n thank you. A few different camp spots as I toured some forest service roads, some sun, some rain.

PXL_20210626_003036517.jpg
PXL_20210626_014003423.jpgPXL_20210626_183850709.jpgPXL_20210626_184613214.jpgPXL_20210627_015733411.jpgPXL_20210627_010749642.jpgPXL_20210627_010744251.jpg

First water crossing and I was worried!

PXL_20210626_221927551.jpg

Attachments

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

Fourth of July 2021

Trip to Silverton / Telluride

The day I planned to head to Durango for the holiday weekend exploring the Million Dollar Highway, Last Dollar Highway and Ophir Pass, I get wonderful news! My snugtop camper shell arrived and the shop squeezes me in at lunch before I left. No more tent camping - lets go!

PXL_20210701_185317029.jpg

Slept on the side of a FSR just south of Durango on Friday night

Morning walk with Brooks

Silverton was what I imagined a mining town in the West to look like. I haven't been back but I am looking forward to my next trip out this way.

Ophir Pass

Just silly

Camp with lovely views just off FSR 825

Camp near Purgatory Mtn

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

August 2021

After watching 600 youtube videos on folks buildings sleeping platforms / drawer systems I finally start working on mine. I wanted to keep it simple and not put any holes in the truck. I had a circular saw, sander, pocket hole jig and drill. I hadn't done anything like this prior and it turned out better than I could have hoped. Almost two years later, it is still rock solid and it is just silly that I get to sleep comfortably on a 5 inch full size mattress when I'm out "camping".

PXL_20210728_021708357.jpg

PXL_20210728_022641507.jpgPXL_20210728_023950293.jpg

Waiting for things to dry and getting each piece done in order was time consuming and this process dragged on. Most days after work I was making a few cuts, sanding, staining and then waiting.

PXL_20210729_210739323.jpg

PXL_20210730_025353847.jpg
PXL_20210730_031837575.jpg

Everything is just kinda press fit in. Pocket holes for days and lots of wood glue. While this isn't permanent, it'll have to be destroyed to take it out...

PXL_20210802_022133500.jpg

Ordered a waxed canvas to protect the bed when just driving around town, not in camping mode. I love that thingy dearly, keeps stuff in the bed clean and the bed still somewhat useful for normal truck stuff, albeit with far less utility.

PXL_20210806_215311927.jpg

Staged for the first time, no drawers yet but we've got a four inch memory foam mattress. Excitement levels are high.

PXL_20210807_173722975.jpg

The following weekend, in mid August, I planned to head back up to Southern Colorado and visit Trujillo Meadows.

Attachments

Reactions: Shahn

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

Trujillo Meadows in Colorado, a cold, high elevation reservoir

Lunch spot near Cumbres Pass

PXL_20210807_215452086.jpg

A true water buffalo, Brooks the dog

PXL_20210807_222135013.jpg

Went for a short hike once I found camp

PXL_20210807_233215514.jpg

PXL_20210808_005440449.jpg
PXL_20210808_005507845.jpg

He sleeps hard when we go camping

PXL_20210808_011116489.jpg

At nearly 11k feet, but also August, things got colder come morning than I thought. Had no idea, I was toasty in the camper shell!

PXL_20210808_134021966.jpg

Yell looks good with mud / dirt / dust on it

PXL_20210808_172948816.jpg

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

The following weekend I was back to it, a short camping trip up to Jemez Mountains. Went in via 126 in Cuba and picked a trail that was almost problematic. Made it to milder roads but did more jumping out of the truck to check my line than I had in all prior trips combined.

PXL_20210814_155148787.jpg
PXL_20210814_165533525.jpg

First trail damage (besides some pinstriping - which I love dearly)

PXL_20210815_005542138.jpg

Eureka Mesa

PXL_20210814_171813075.jpg

Short hike to a pond that seems to be mostly a watering hole for cattle

PXL_20210814_180926094.jpg

Found a stream and some shade to read and nap near

PXL_20210814_184823306.jpg

Took a trail down to St. Peter's Dome - incredible views and lots of recent wildfire burn scar

PXL_20210815_161741369.jpg

Once back home there will be more work on the sleeping platform and crafting of the drawers!

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

Things for the sleeping platform / drawer system came together over the last weekend in August (2021)

- Carpeted the 3/4" plywood top
- Lined the drawers with the rubbery / foamy - dontyoumovearoundonme and stapled them down, I'll eventually do the sidewalls too
- Waxed the bottom of the drawers (no hardware, just slide)

PXL_20210822_214119048.jpg
PXL_20210822_235901210.jpg
PXL_20210823_002826280.jpg

Reactions: Mekcanix and Shahn

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

Back in Nov 2021 upgraded from the Pixel 2 --> Pixel 6. Hooray clear images!

Drove up to Mt. Withington near Socorro, NM to check out the look out, just a quick drive with Brooks

PXL_20211114_224414019.jpg
PXL_20211114_220610698.jpg
PXL_20211114_224249620.jpgPXL_20211114_224855936.jpg

Some pretty shots of the sky as we headed back down the mountain and home

PXL_20211115_001633519.jpg
PXL_20211115_000215799.jpg

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

In December of 2021 I planned to go west to Organ Pipe National Monument for the first time. I did an oil change and played with some of the set up before I left. I picked up some Reflectix for the camper shell windows and some organizational pieces that I'm lukewarm about.

PXL_20211219_230100837.jpg
PXL_20211220_183550753.jpg
PXL_20211220_185427241.jpg
PXL_20211221_004723816.jpg
PXL_20211217_202549042.jpg
PXL_20211206_015102484.jpg

Reactions: Shahn and Mekcanix

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

I've been back several times now to Organ Pipe and it is truly a special place to me. This first trip, alone, cemented it. I'm not certain how I settled on going to visit it but I knew it would be between 70-80 in late December so I was sold. ~9 hours from ABQ, I spent the first night south of Gila Wilderness. This is one of the simple things I really enjoy about my set up. I drove for 5 hours after work and just pulled off a short distance down a US forest service road and climbed into the back and passed out.

PXL_20211222_051703249.jpg

Woke up with the sun and hit the road just before 7a

PXL_20211222_143144129.jpg

Stopped in Tucson for coffee (Exo Roasters - YUM)

PXL_20211222_173354542.jpg

The town of Why is just north of Organ Pipe and a delightful stop before checking out the monument and setting up camp on the BLM just north of the monument.

PXL_20211222_204010456.jpg
PXL_20211222_203934880.jpg
PXL_20211222_204236718.jpg

Organ Pipe National Monument:

PXL_20211223_182919668.jpg
PXL_20211223_174344586.jpg

One of my favorite sunsets

PXL_20211223_004053533.jpg
PXL_20211222_232934560.jpg
PXL_20211222_231158433.jpg
PXL_20211223_215423465.jpg
PXL_20211224_200605863.jpg
PXL_20211224_234436796.jpg

Sunset Rabbit

PXL_20211225_002904210.jpg

Teddy Bear Cholla <3

PXL_20211225_155722266.jpg
PXL_20211224_194140684.jpg

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

To confirm how much I enjoyed that trip, I spent three days back home in ABQ and made plans to meet my friend in AZ's Kofa Wildlife refuge and eventually ending up back in Organ Pipe National Monument. This time we drove, a record distance offroad for me, from Yuma, AZ along the border crossing through the Air Force Missile Range, Cabeza Prieta Wildlife Refuge, and back into Organ Pipe. If I remember correctly, we covered close to 100 miles offroad along this trail and conditions on the second day turned out to be more than we bargained for.

First night camp site in Kofa, it was dark when I arrived, waking up to those mountains was a treat.

PXL_20211230_144732889.jpg

We camped looking up at Signal Peak along a service road in Kofa before heading south to Yuma for BBQ and to find the El Camino Del Diablo trailhead.
Couldn't get enough of the views along the Castle Dome Mountains trail

PXL_20211230_174905628.jpg
PXL_20211230_190547841.jpg
PXL_20211230_185806915.jpg

The landscape and weather began to change as we headed south and mostly east.

PXL_20211231_001851633.jpg
PXL_20211231_000725403.jpg

Saw this old, wood toy truck at a tree I was thinking of pooping near. I did not. Saw this desert scarecrow along the trail as well!
PXL_20211231_160640247.jpg
PXL_20211231_161335610.jpg

Stopped for lunch along the trail

PXL_20211231_191001552.jpg

Stopped at Tule cabin as well

PXL_20211231_165615903.jpg
PXL_20211231_165349252.jpg

The rain started to pick up and we began travelling through a lot more water in the trail. I was not really mentally prepared for this and the side walls of the trail were daunting.

PXL_20211231_215825028.jpg

We made camp on the BLM north of Organ Pipe were it rained most of the night.

PXL_20220101_021343136.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20220101_154415098.jpg

We headed east to Ironwood Forest National Monument for our final evening.

PXL_20220102_003447658.jpg
PXL_20220102_002851002.jpg
PXL_20220102_000622622.jpg
PXL_20220102_001541284.jpg

Naturally, on my way out of town, I stopped for coffee in Tucson, Presta Roasters this time

PXL_20220102_181232563.jpg

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

Over the long weekend (Jan 2022) I took a short trip out to BLM and camped near Cabezon Peak, NW of ABQ.

PXL_20220115_230129619.jpg
PXL_20220115_232743194.jpg
PXL_20220115_235637890.jpg

Night shot camped facing Cerro de Guadalupe

PXL_20220116_011131449.jpg

It was fun to see the delta between the outside temp and inside the shell

PXL_20220116_134711347.jpg
PXL_20220116_023841341.jpg

Brooks usually wakes up before I do

PXL_20220116_135305747.jpg

Caught the sunrise and didn't fall asleep immediately after!

PXL_20220116_140906398.jpg
PXL_20220116_142321000.jpg
PXL_20220116_141417874.jpg

I moved to another location after driving some unfamiliar trails closer to Ojito Wilderness

PXL_20220116_234828068.jpg
PXL_20220117_001540131.jpg
PXL_20220117_001607396.jpg
PXL_20220117_013033716.jpg
PXL_20220117_032221844.jpg

Attachments

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

Before heading out to Mojave I did a few DIY things after having spent plenty of time operating from the back of the truck bed. I started sewing a bug net which has become one of my favorite things I've made. I originally used a giant Coghlan's one and just stuck it up there. It was fine to start but I ordered a smaller size of No-see-um mesh from Ripstop (0.5 oz NS50 Noseeum Mesh in Dark Olive). I sewed on a more robust material on the edges and attached velco. Super simple and it lives rolled up above the window opening, secured by more velco. I started by hand back stitching the bug net. This was not a ton of fun. Then at some point I picked up a sewing machine and just blasted it.

The truck topper shop had scrap headliner material left over from a job and let me come grab some. I fabric adhesive'd it to the bare metal all around the three sides in the truck bed. Big fan

PXL_20220212_210241320.jpg
PXL_20220131_043742818.jpg

Bug net rolled up, haphazardly, but still

PXL_20221111_191854731.jpg

Reactions: Shahn and Mekcanix

Nick Malette

Rank V

Enthusiast III

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Malette
Member #

I set out Wednesday after work driving west on I40 to put a decent dent in the drive to Mojave. Spent the night in Kaibab NF off 89 south, up at the crack of dawn to continue west. I was meeting my friend from San Diego in the desert Thursday evening. We set out to meet ~ 20 miles north into Kelso Dunes. From where I decided to make camp, I was able to see his headlights when we was, per google maps, 7 miles away. Very entertaining to say the least. Getting him up to where I meandered to make camp was easier said than done in the dark.

PXL_20220217_233906479.jpg
PXL_20220218_012328059.jpg
PXL_20220218_012345615.jpg

We had a nice night by the fire and took off exploring in the morning. Saw my first Joshua tree, made my day.
PXL_20220218_185508089.jpg
PXL_20220218_193702047.jpg
Lunch spot near the Mailbox
PXL_20220218_202441152.jpgPXL_20220218_202242199.jpg
PXL_20220218_203931669.jpg
PXL_20220218_224441203.jpg
Just an enchanting afternoon driving part of the Mojave Road. Did my first trail side repair, glad neither of us were alone!
PXL_20220218_231112545.jpg
Found a wonderful camp at the end of a road that was an off shoot of the Mojave Road.
PXL_20220219_004412607.jpg
PXL_20220219_010634523.jpg

Before heading east and home, I detoured south to check out Bigelow Cholla Garden Wilderness
PXL_20220219_222535388.jpgPXL_20220220_001114194.jpg
PXL_20220220_011801689.jpg

Decided to drive up Christmas Tree Pass and then spent my last night out on BLM south of Kingman AZ, beautiful views all around, very much looking forward to being back in this area

PXL_20220220_195752930.jpg
PXL_20220221_001831239.jpg
PXL_20220221_010318427.jpg
PXL_20220221_012607433.jpg

Attachments