A Nice Saturday Morning Haboob

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Welcome to West Texas. A roughly 10-12k' haboob was kicked up this morning in Lubbock. Winds have been 25-25mph with 60+mph gusts. Haven't had one here in a few years.

This is the backside of it as it heads E/SE.

View attachment 185906View attachment 185905
Since there are only stock saharas driving around here in that color, I was never a fan. But the AEV'ed version looks awesome.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Never experienced a haboob in an urban environment. Looks somehow interesting. Thanks for sharing those pictures!

Good you have a prefilter attached to the snorkel!

Reactions: Ubiety

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Had one come through the East Mesa/Apache Jct. (Az.) area when I was a young man camping in the desert with some friends. We were on a hill and it blew our fire off the hill.

It was dark, but totally crazy.

• Wow
Reactions: Ubiety

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I lived in Phoenix in the mid 2000's and experienced them there. They roll out from the east across the valley west. Awesome to watch them pick up dirt, roll upwards, then you get massive friction behind it which fuels lightning, big wind, moisture and wicked thunderstorms. Yesterday was just all dirt.

Great video on how they form and roll across.

Reactions: Ubiety and Forte

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

What direction is it blowing? Wondering if I should expect some dust east of dfw. Once sometimes twice a year we get those saharan dust stoms blow up through the gulf from Africa.