Launch Member

Member II

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

I'm using my iPhone 6Plus. Apple maps/google maps for road and Gaia app for off road. One device keeps it simple for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm with Rattlesnake44 on this one, I like to keep it simple. I am not into technology and the Gaia is pretty easy to use, even for someone like me. [emoji38]

Reactions: Rattlesnake44

Rattlesnake44

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hawthorne, CA
Member #

How does the gaia app work when you have no cell service? Looking for something to use also when I'm completely off grid.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app
As already stated by @finlayforprez, you can download and cache maps on the phone when you have service. The phone's gps function is still operational even without cellular connection so the app uses that to plot and track your route and guide you to waypoints if you have those set up. There are a ton of map type options through the Gaia app as well, topos, USFS Raster, etc. if you have an iPad or other tablet that has a cellular chip it will work as well. I used my iPad for a while but found that the size of the iPhone 6Plus was just right for dashboard mounting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

I currently use google maps and my Android phone, but I am finding that it's lacking in all the functionality. So for Christmas, I got a Dual bluetooth USB puck, a Ram mount 7" tablet mount, and I'm about to buy myself an Android tablet dedicated to GPS in the truck. I will use Google Maps onroad, and probably Gaia offroad.

Scott

JOSX2

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mebane, NC
Member #

With the Gaia app, can you import .gpx files that have pre-set waypoints in it?

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

How do you like that little puck? I saw it and was tempted, but I put the Garmin one on the list instead.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app
I haven't used it yet as I am waiting on my 7" tablet to arrive. I know a few people with these GPS pucks and everyone I know that has one says they work awesome, which is why I put it on my Christmas list.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

STPICKENS

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Evansville, WY, USA 82636
First Name
SHAUN
Last Name
PICKENS
Member #

I currently use google maps and my Android phone, but I am finding that it's lacking in all the functionality. So for Christmas, I got a Dual bluetooth USB puck, a Ram mount 7" tablet mount, and I'm about to buy myself an Android tablet dedicated to GPS in the truck. I will use Google Maps onroad, and probably Gaia offroad.

Scott
How stable is that ram mount? Does the tablet wobble around enough to where you can't read it too well while driving. I am considering this mounting system or a hard mount on my dash.

Shaun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bates City, MO, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Heiser
Member #

How stable is that ram mount? Does the tablet wobble around enough to where you can't read it too well while driving. I am considering this mounting system or a hard mount on my dash.

Shaun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am not sure how stable it will be. I don't have a tablet in there yet. But I bought it based on reviews and from people I know that own them. Everyone I have ever talked to loves this particular mount.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

As long as you don't leave your vehicle more than a short distance away all of these solutions are fine. If you are hiking away and there is a chance you will need gps functionality for whatever reason, I would not want to rely on the battery of a phone to get me back to the car. For me the inReach's long battery life, SOS function and the convenience of pairing to the iPhone make it perfect for me.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Bananacooler

MVO

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Johns Creek, GA
First Name
Malcolm
Last Name
O’Hara
Member #

As long as you don't leave your vehicle more than a short distance away all of these solutions are fine. If you are hiking away and there is a chance you will need gps functionality for whatever reason, I would not want to rely on the battery of a phone to get me back to the car. For me the inReach's long battery life, SOS function and the convenience of pairing to the iPhone make it perfect for me. And the texting over the satellite system is awesome in both emergency and non emergency situations.

Don Meredith

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC
Member #

You can download GPX with waypoints into Gaia GPS. I used i ton a recent trip and loved it. Even if you're out of cell service you can get a GPS fix with your phone. I'm considering getting a GPS puck so I can use it with my WiFi only iPad to get a little more screen space. With that said, the screen on my iPhone 7+ is more than adequate for normal backwoods navigation. Here's a shot of Gaia in action on a recent trip.

99.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Rattlesnake44

Rattlesnake44

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hawthorne, CA
Member #

As long as you don't leave your vehicle more than a short distance away all of these solutions are fine. If you are hiking away and there is a chance you will need gps functionality for whatever reason, I would not want to rely on the battery of a phone to get me back to the car. For me the inReach's long battery life, SOS function and the convenience of pairing to the iPhone make it perfect for me.

Agreed... sort of. If you're going that far away from your vehicle you shouldn't be relying on the battery of anything to navigate by. A map and compass and good land nav skills don't need recharging :)

edit: Alternatively, sometimes I do use my Goal Zero solar panel and battery pack. On longer hikes I strap it to the outside of my pack, it charges the battery pack which in turn I can use to charge my iPhone with.

Last edited: