Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
In June, desert lovers and globetrotters met again at the Sahara Club meeting in Germany. I was there again and would like to share a few impressions with you.

The Sahara, the largest dry desert on earth, is hostile to life and fascinating at the same time. Many travelers have always been magically attracted to it. This fascination with the Sahara has given rise to the club of the same name. It all started in 1984 when numerous Sahara enthusiasts and globetrotters met. A club should be founded. Of course with Sahara reference! In the beginning the club was completely focused on the Sahara, but today the desert friends and globetrotters of the Sahara Club feel at home on all continents.

Every year they meet at the so-called Westhofen meeting, in a small town in Rheinhessen in Germany. Now in June it was that time again. There was again a full program of workshops and presentations. There were of course numerous photo presentations of adventurous trips in the Sahara and other great travel regions of the world. Among them a particularly exciting lecture with fantastic photos and stories of a 600 kilometer long journey with the salt caravan through the Ténéré desert in 1988. The exchange of travel information is of course an important part of the meeting.

We had a great time. I will be there again next year. Non-members of the club are also welcome. If you would like to join us in 2024, please contact me.

And now a few photo impressions:

37_SaharaClubTreffen_Titel.JPG37_SaharaClubTreffen_IMG_6813.JPG37_SaharaClubTreffen_IMG_6814.JPG37_SaharaClubTreffen_IMG_6793.JPG37_SaharaClubTreffen_IMG_6786.JPG37_SaharaClubTreffen_IMG_6773.JPG37_SaharaClubTreffen_IMG_6783.JPG37_SaharaClubTreffen_IMG_6764.JPG37_SaharaClubTreffen_IMG_6741.JPG37_SaharaClubTreffen_Fzge.JPG

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Don't see any AC units, or gens. Do they run the main engine to keep cool?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Don't see any AC units, or gens. Do they run the main engine to keep cool?
AC units for stationary use are not so common with overlanding rigs here (with campers and caravans already increased in the meantime or very big overlanding rigs have them). We just sit under the awning in the shade and sip a cool drink or better a hot tea like the Tuareg in the hot desert do since decades ;-)